Texas

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, May 03, 2023, 15:39 (506 days ago)

I have been a resident (off and on) of Texas now for the past year and a half and the following are some of my impressions of life in the “lone star state”

The donut should really be part of the Texas state flag. Donut shops are everywhere. I was in a little place in the west Texas panhandle called Muleshoe and there were three donut shops in a town of eight hundred and everyone was sold out before 10:00am.

For the second time in my life I live in an area where I an extremely handicapped by being mono-linguistic.

It’s my first experience living in a multi-generational household. I am the only male, so I spend a lot of time in the garage or back in Tennessee when it’s too hot in the garage(which is basically nine months out of the year).

I live in Kyle, which is the “pie capital of Texas.” Don’t take my work for it, the Texas state legislature proclaimed it such, some time in the past.

The people that live around me tell me that I live in a part of Texas called the “hill country.” These are people who clearly have a different definition of “hill” than I do.

In my back yard I have several “trees”, that my neighbors tell me are “big trees”. These trees might be all of ten or twelve feet tall.

I was very surprised to find kolaches were very popular until I learned that I live in a part of Texas known at the “Czech belt.” The local Chinese restaurant sells kolaches through a drive up window in the morning, and just like in Muleshoe, they’re gone by 10.

If you’re ever in Driftwood, Texas (not really sure where the name of this town is derived from, since its pretty far removed from any body of water) I highly recommend the Salt Lick Barbecue. You won’t be disappointed.

My neighborhood website has a “snake watch” in which the local population is warned of any sightings of various and sundry venomous serpents seen skulking about the neighborhood. This is a first for me. I guess Texans love their snakes.

Evidently, turn signals are optional equipment on vehicles sold in Texas.

My granddaughter’s nanny is a former Nicaraguan army officer. Apparently, this isn’t all that unusual for Texas. But it seems to me it’s a rather odd career choice for a former military person. She only speaks Spanish so I haven’t really gotten to know her. My granddaughter understands her just fine, and she’s just two, I feel kind of stupid in general, but even more so when I’m around her nanny.

There is one cop for every five people in Texas. I have never lived anywhere that has so many law enforcement personnel. I can’t imagine anyone getting away with anything in Texas, but apparently it’s a problem.

When in Texas, I drive around in a Honda Civic…in Texas.

Armadillos.

These are just a few of my first impressions. I’m sure as time goes on some will be altered. Oh, and one of my neighbors asked me if I had any guns, and that if I needed one, just to let him know. This also, was a first.

Languages

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, May 03, 2023, 17:04 (506 days ago) @ pokynojoe

What do you call a person who speaks 3 languages?
Answer - Tri-Lingual

What do you call a person who speaks 2 languages?
Answer - Bi-Lingual

What do you call a person who speaks one language?
Answer- American

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

That is unfortunately true.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, May 04, 2023, 19:54 (504 days ago) @ JimT

I can at least survive and am still at least partially literate in Chinese, Korean, French and American Sign Language in addition to American. I wish I had learned Russian and Spanish and taken Latin in high school. But I know some folks who are true polygots, literate in 5+ languages (although some are math and history challenged).

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

In Mozambique I met a lot of people who spoke 4 to 6 ...

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, May 04, 2023, 20:36 (504 days ago) @ Hobie

and had never been to school. Could not read or write. But grew up in a multi-lingual culture. Most Mozambicans that live in the cities speak at least 2 and usually a few more than that.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

In Mozambique I met a lot of people who spoke 4 to 6 ...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, May 05, 2023, 09:27 (504 days ago) @ JimT

I don’t get out much but I was at the BMV a month or so back and had two African gentlemen sit down next to me. I have no idea what language they were speaking but I definitely picked up a few worlds that I knew were French. I was guessing it was some sort f mixture of native and ‘colonizer’ languages all mixed up together

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Good to see you Joe.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, May 03, 2023, 17:09 (506 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I was just thinking about you the last week or so. Sounds like you're getting a handle on things.

Thanks Hoot!

by pokynojoe, Thursday, May 04, 2023, 09:14 (505 days ago) @ Hoot

In all honesty, I've never had a handle on much of anything. My life is as chaotic as ever, but after all these years, you get used to it.

I was in Rochester this past September , but only for two days. While there I had my fill of whitefish and cheese curds. Had breakfast at the "Honker" and thought of you.

Hope things are going well with you and yours.

Texas

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, May 04, 2023, 07:46 (505 days ago) @ pokynojoe

It's good to "see" you here. :-) I was thinking of you just the other day when a bridge went down a few miles south of us. An important bridge on what passes for a "main highway" in the area. The result being, we now have heavy truck traffic heavily increased through our area, resulting in congestion, accidents and wear and increased wear and tear on our already neglected roads. I've heard all kinds of things, including it may have been sabotaged, but there's also a high probability that it simply couldn't put up with the heavier traffic of current times as it was built back when trucks were smaller and traffic sparser. But I digress.

Muleshoe, Tx! That's where I started in on the silage harvest back in the 20th Century. The feedlot in Muleshoe had 11 machines cutting for them. My boss and his two brothers had three of those machines. They were heavily customized Farmhand silage cutters that they built themselves. Their combines were factory and their main "bread and butter", but in the winter they'd work on their silage cutters and did some impressive work with them. Our three cutters put up over half the harvest, working six days a week. The remaining 8 put up the rest, working 7 days a week. Never had a chance to check out any donut shops in town, we were in the field from can't see to can't see, six days a week. Sunday to church, out to lunch, back to the trailer to read, write and rest. Then start it up again on Monday. My impression of Muleshoe was that it was built cattywumpus to the world as none of the roads seemed to run north/south or east/west and keeping directions wasn't very easy. Didn't see any armadillos 'round there, but there was a skunk on the side of the road that I went by a few times as we cut one particular field. It seemed to get fatter and fatter with each trip and finally I couldn't resist and ran the right side tandem wheels over it on my last trip from the feedlot. The language of the next driver to go past shortly after nearly fried my CB!

Anywho, it's good to "see" you again!

Well...

by pokynojoe, Thursday, May 04, 2023, 09:25 (505 days ago) @ Paul

After 38 years of inspecting bridges of all types and sizes, I retired last June. Honestly, my life is so frantic right now, I don't have time for work!

By the way, I still have that photograph you sent me of that cable-stayed bridge in your part of the world. It's hanging on the wall of my little home office.

RSS Feed of thread