Rolling Block

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 13:36 (520 days ago)

Years ago I bought a Rolling Block for $7.00 and gave it to my Dad for either his birthday or maybe it was Christmas. It was an 11mm. He shot it for years using blown out ..45-70 brass and a 260 gr. Keith .45 Colt bullet. Worked pretty well.

After he got Alzheimer's and was in a nursing home I got the old rolling block, stripped it, bought a barrel and some parts for it and sent it to John Killebrew.

This was after John worked on it some ..
[image]

Later
[image]

[image]

You will have to ask John what it's like today and how it shoots because I later sold it to him before we moved to Mozambique. I know he has put it to good use.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

In the 1st 20 or so years of the cartridge era,

by A K Church, Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 14:06 (520 days ago) @ JimT

a huge portion of the world's militaries adopted either a rolling block, or a Mauser. Mauser 71s don't give me the warm tinglies a rolling bolck does.

If we can scrounge up a place for show-n-tell....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 17:04 (519 days ago) @ A K Church

I'll show you something next week. I think you'd like it.

Rolling Block

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 18:37 (519 days ago) @ JimT

You did a fine thing with your Dad's old roller, Jim. That it shoots well is just icing on the cake.

I've always been weak for rolling blocks. I traded the local sheriff out of an ancient 43 Spanish, along with 120 rounds of issue BP ammo, when I was 17. The ammo would be worth a pile of money today. But I didn't waste it. I killed three groundhogs, a fat doe and at least fifty of those giant icicles that form on rock quarry cuts in the dead of winter. Then there was a South American No. 5 in 7mm which killed deer & coyotes like the hammer of Thor through 13 boxes of Privi 7x57 175 grain RNSP. I've still got a fired case from that one with a crock stick mounted in it, from the best shot I ever made on a running deer. It finally got to leaking gas around the firing pin hole and I moved it on.

My right thumb is starting to twitch real bad, which means it wants a mule-eared RRB hammer under it.

I had one in .43 Reformado and a Pedersoli .45-70 I punched

by cas, Wednesday, April 19, 2023, 21:03 (519 days ago) @ Sarge

..punched out to .45-90 for some reason. I never shot the .43 much because the Reformado cases were a pain. I sold it and the Pedersoli when my Shiloh Sharps came. Both to fund it and because I didn't think I'd need it anymore.

The Shiloh is a work of art, and the older Pedersoli wasn't half the gun it is. But in retrospect, I wished I hadn't sold it, even if that meant not getting the Sharps. The Sharps is cool and like I said, a work of art, but I think I like the rolling block more.

I forgot all about the scoped one I had in .40-65

by cas, Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 16:50 (513 days ago) @ cas

I didn't shoot it much because I was too busy shooting the iron sighted stuff. So I sold it because I had a lot of money in it. (not really now, but at the time it was a lot).

So now I have the iron sighted ones and don't shoot them because I can't see the sights. Gee, sure would be nice to have a scoped one now. :-|

This one should be here next week…

by Otony, Friday, April 21, 2023, 20:03 (517 days ago) @ JimT

https://www.proxibid.com/Guns-Military-Artifacts/Rifles/R-Custom-Unknown-Approx-28Cal-R...

Most likely going to become a .38-55, although I have given some thought to a .40 Krag (think short .405].

Otony

Nice! (nm)

by JimT, Texas, Friday, April 21, 2023, 20:10 (517 days ago) @ Otony

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

RSS Feed of thread