A Dirty Day

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 20:21 (527 days ago)

On the Range with dirty, smelly, antiquated Black Powder and 3 handguns. I got a present that I ordered for myself today ... an 1851 Navy!

[image]

[image]

[image]
It's a Pietta. EMF has them on sale for $274.00 and since I have birthday coming sooner or later I decided to buy me a birthday gift.

So I had to take it to the Range! And since I wanted to try out some of my paper cartridges for the Dragoon and the 1862 Police I packed everything up and went out and got smokey!

The 1851 has an amazing trigger right out of the box. And it seems like it's gonna be accurate.

[image]

[image]

The 1862 Police did well with the paper cartridges.

[image]

The 3rd Model Dragoon seems like the heavy load.

[image]

I am sure all 3 are much more accurate. I had a hard time keeping the brass front bead in focus in the bright sunlight today. But I am not griping about the sunshine! We hadn't seen the sun in quite a few days.

It was a fun day ... I ran about 25 rounds through each gun. I spent more time cleaning the guns than I did shooting! That's part of the fun.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

ANYTHING WORTH DOING IS

by JT, Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 21:49 (527 days ago) @ JimT

WORTH GETING DIRTY FOR!

A Dirty Day is a good day...

by Paul ⌂, Wednesday, April 12, 2023, 07:25 (527 days ago) @ JimT

I really like my Pietta 1860 by Traditions. It was gifted by a good friend a couple years ago. It was a bit raspy at first but repeated cycling of the action, dismantling, cleaning and then cycling it some more seemed to smooth it out just fine. Very decent trigger and after a bit of use it's a right handy popper. I keep eyeing those 1851's and 1861's, but haven't pulled the trigger on one. Too many other needs right now. Still, I'm fascinated by them and each time I pick one up I'm reminded of what the boys from Missouri could do with them. And as a boy from Missouri, they call to me.

Looks good!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, April 12, 2023, 08:24 (527 days ago) @ JimT

I really should buy an 1851. I love the handling of them and haven’t had one in a few years.

I have a little pocket .31 I got from Hoot. I used the thin file and squared up the notch in the hammer and it fixed a much better sight picture. Come to think of it I also dovetailed a beaded post front sight in it because it was shooting very high. It’s pretty much dead on now.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

I was very surprised by this Piettta by EMF ...

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, April 12, 2023, 08:30 (527 days ago) @ Paul

The trigger is flat and does not have a rounded face like some I have shot. The trigger pull is smooth, no creep, and has a very nice let-off. Internally the gun has no boogers, the parts are smooth and finished well.

The only area that has given me a problem is the wedge. This one does not want to release no matter what I have tried so far. I have to use a plastic mallet to initially move it. Once it pops through the right side it moves in and out easily. The other problem with the wedge is the stop screw in the frame does not stop the wedge and it will fall out of the frame easily. I can live with it but will keep tweaking it until it works right or I have to replace it.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

A Dirty Day

by Jared, Monday, April 17, 2023, 00:13 (522 days ago) @ JimT

I was laughing the other day I got in my Z71 and the inside smelled really bad. Between the black powder handguns and the fired rocket engines we left inside it took a few days to air out.

RSS Feed of thread