US Revolver Co. 38 S&W

by Bob Hatfield @, Friday, March 31, 2023, 15:34 (539 days ago)
edited by Bob Hatfield, Friday, March 31, 2023, 16:39

Here it was in action.

Remington 38 S&W 146 Gr. RN cartridges of recent manufacture.
7 yards offhand in double action mode. Had to aim at the bottom bullseye to hit the top one. These felt really powder puff powered, (the revolver has a .013-cylinder gap).

I backed up to 15 yards and shot a cylinder with 3 very old REM UMC 146 RN and 2 old Western Lubaloy 38 S&W 146s, and they strung up and down in to an 8-inch group. One thing I noticed was the Western Lubaloy 38 rounds felt more powerful than the Remington's.

Leading inside the barrel was non-existent after 10 shots, but the forcing cone was leaded to high heaven, I suppose from the bullet having to cram into a tight bore.

I need to make a new taller front sight. Why does one want to tinker with such things? The image below is resized to keep it from being so large. For some reason my method of resizing seems to stretch the image.

Bob

[image]

They can be a challenge. Unique challenges. For instance

by JimT, Texas, Friday, March 31, 2023, 15:56 (539 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I don't know of anyone but you trying to make one shoot. :-)

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

US Revolver Co. 38 S&W

by Bob Hatfield @, Friday, March 31, 2023, 16:32 (539 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield
edited by Bob Hatfield, Friday, March 31, 2023, 16:38

Interesting and odd, but maybe fortuitous. I chambered a 38 Special wadcutter round in the proper end and it also chambers from the front-end LOL. These are not much looser than a regular 38 S&W.
I might try to just partial size some 38 Special and use it for brass and load some round ball or some light .358 bullets I might have laying around. Probably have to fireform so they will fit the chambers snugly and then partial size for a bullet. Below is an image of a 38 Special wadcutter round loaded from the front to show that the cylinder indeed doesn't have a throat.

[image]

Picture - undistorted

by Paul ⌂, Friday, March 31, 2023, 16:52 (539 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I don't know what is going on, but I downloaded the image, rescaled it to 500 pixels wide and then re-uploaded it via the "upload" button on the side of the text box. In preview it shows up OK. We'll see what happens when I post it. Oh, and the 500 pixels was merely an arbitrary "lessee what happens", nothing magical, mystical nor even scientific.

[image]

Picture - undistorted

by Bob Hatfield @, Friday, March 31, 2023, 17:07 (539 days ago) @ Paul

Thanks Paul,

I found out if I open the image with "Paint" I can reduce the size to 25% and it looks okay.

Here is an undistorted image with a 38 special wadcutter chambered. Not a very sloppy fit. But it will fall out if the revolver is cocked shooting up as the cylinder rotates.

Bob

[image]

US Revolver Co. 38 S&W

by Catoosa, Saturday, April 01, 2023, 09:54 (538 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Bob, I suspect your gun, like mine, has the front sight pressed into a slot in the barrel. I found a piece of scrap banding was an exact fit in the slot. I cut a piece and filed it to shape and pressed it with a vise and some wood blocks, then filed it to the proper height. It's still in there and works fine, but of course mine is a .22.

Might give you a place to start. GOOD LUCK!

US Revolver Co. 38 S&W

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, April 01, 2023, 19:12 (538 days ago) @ Catoosa

Yes, thanks for the tip. The front sight on this revolver is razor thin for sure. I saw a 32 version of this revolver at a gunshow today. The guy wanted 150 dollars. The dumbass in me looked it over and for a second or two I almost made an offer. Then reality set in and I came back to my senses and declined and moved on. Maybe because a nickel-plated Smith 32 hand ejector was calling my name a few tables down. I coon fingered it some and said to myself "Man this speaks volumes of quality over that US Revolver at home. Then the tightwad in my said "Naw, I have enough toys.........One project pistol is enough............Bob

Out of idle curiosity...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, April 01, 2023, 20:38 (537 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

what price did they have on the 32 Smith?

Out of idle curiosity...

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, April 02, 2023, 15:03 (537 days ago) @ Paul

$375 If I remember correctly. The nickel was speckled but not flaking yet, but it seemed to function well, and the bore looked very good.

RSS Feed of thread