A Special Sixgun

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, March 09, 2023, 15:18 (561 days ago)

Nearly 20 years ago now The Shootists celebrated their 20th Anniversary by having a special run of USFA's in .44 Special. The serial numbers began with SH (for Shootists Holiday of course). The guns were 5 1/2" barrels .. standard Colt SAA configuration. All the USFA guns I have examined .. not that many ... have been as good or better than any Colt SAA I have examined. The color on the frame and hammer is excellent and the blueing is just perfect. The fit and finish overall is excellent. They came with the black USFA stocks on them and I had mine fitted with a pair of hand-made walnut stocks by Paul Persinger.

[image]

Some guns apparently had issues with the height of the front sight. Mine was just right the way it came. The two loads i settled on work very well with the sight untouched. I use the Keith 429431 and either 6.5 gr. of Unique or 16.5 gr. of 2400.

For fun I sometimes shoot bullet 430185. This bullet was originally designed for the .44 Colt. It is an outside lubricated heel bullet. It is nominally 210 grains and has no lube grooves or crimp groove. The heel is .430" and the bullet body is .441". I use cases that have been fired in my gun but not resized. I deprime and re-prime them, drop in the powder charge, shove the bullet into the case, smear a little lube on it and stick in the gun and shoot it. Lee Liquid Alox works well. Using a 4.5 gr. charge of Bullseye gives a velocity of 760 fps. It's a fun little plinking load. I found in some guns the cases need to be trimmed .100" to allow chambering so if you decide to try this, make up a dummy round and check it first. With no sizing, neck expanding or crimping the brass will last indefinitely. My Dad had one .44 brass that he loaded like this and the count was over 1200 times it had been fired. Pressures are low so it does not get worked and become prone to cracking.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The Heel Bullet

[image]

[image]

[image]

A Special Sixgun

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, March 09, 2023, 15:36 (561 days ago) @ JimT

Those definitely make obeying the 10th Commandment more difficult. :-D Nifty idea on the heeled bullet. I've seen one or two of those come up, but not in my price range. So my 44's one of Jeff Quinn's Ruger Flattop Bisely sixguns, a 25th anniversary instead of a 20th anniversary gun.. Not as compact and handy a package, but my favorite 44 just the same. Those grips really set off the whole package, thanks for sharing!

My son-n-law has one of those Shootists Bisleys. Nice gun!

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, March 09, 2023, 16:35 (561 days ago) @ Paul

and you can load it into the Magnum range if you so desire ... as long as you don't get the ammo in the wrong gun.

Though as far as I am concerned, you don't need to. Running the Keith bullet at 1100 to 1200 fps ain't hard and will take about anything we are going to be shooting with the .44's.

I've been running

by Paul ⌂, Friday, March 10, 2023, 08:17 (560 days ago) @ JimT

the "Skeeter load" for the most part in it. Keith slug over a decent dose of Unique does the job quite well. I'm hoping to give it a better workout this June.

El Cazador took a hog with his USFA & the Keith slug at 900

by JimT, Texas, Friday, March 10, 2023, 09:11 (560 days ago) @ Paul

It worked just fine as far as he was concerned. The hog had no say about it.

GREEN, Green I say, are my eyes with envy.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, March 09, 2023, 19:11 (561 days ago) @ JimT

USFAs of any sort never (OK, rarely) pop up around here for sale. A .45 Colt Rodeo was seen on a local trade board for the painful sum of $1500. Not going to lie, if it had been a .44 Special I would have probably persued it.

That's just darling, they are beautiful guns...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, March 09, 2023, 21:08 (560 days ago) @ JimT

I note that one of the comments is that the USFA guns are seldom seen on the market and that would be about 2x as often as we see one locally. This is one reason I haven't sold any of mine, they can't be replaced, certainly not at a reasonable cost. The Rodeos (I have one I got from Mr. Simply Rugged) were selling for about $500 at one time, I've seen them change hands on-line for as much as $1800 +/- a few bob. Crazy prices. The color case and dome blue are even more expensive. Heck, we don't see any of the ZIP guns either.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Nice!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, March 12, 2023, 09:33 (558 days ago) @ JimT

RSS Feed of thread