Straightening Colt SAA triggers

by Don Sikes @, Vera Cruz, Missouri, Friday, February 10, 2023, 17:09 (588 days ago)

I've come to the conclusion that Colt didn't think it trough when he designed the trigger for his SAA revolvers... this includes the BP cap-n-ball and the 1873 revolvers... the curve of the trigger just doesn't work like it should... looks nice but, not quite right in practicality...

I used to be a "snob" about keeping my revolvers original as possible... well... 60 some odd years later, I learned that I was just being an @SS... collecting unique and antiques is one thing but the whole idea to ones weapon, be it a long gun or a hand gun or even an edged weapon is that it should "fit" your hand and style of use... so that being said... I've decided to "personalize" my SAA style revolvers trigger to "feel better" on my finger... besides, my 70 year old arthritic hands just aren't as "rugged" as they use to be and "comfort" seams to be the one on the menu for these days...

The original curve to the trigger causes the bottom of the trigger to bite into my finger pad as I pull the trigger back... and I noted that in case of my "magnum" SAA revolvers the recoil would bounce the trigger bottom edge back into my finger pad... all this makes for an uncomfortable experience when shooting the revolver... back when I was younger and "snobbish" about such matters, I just took it as a characteristic of the revolver and lived with it...

however, remembering some articles about some of ya'll "straightening" out the trigger "bow" to make it "not bite" started to nag my mind... So...

I come with question in hand... those that have "straightened" the trigger... did you just slowly bend it... or did you heat it with a torch and then bend it and then quenched it to re harden... and how did you work around a Case Color finish or one made of stainless steal... I have a few SAA style revolvers, cap-n-ball, 1873 clones, etc that I need to clean-up and do some work on the lockwork so I thought I'd try to straighten the trigger bow while I'm at it... Suggestions please... yeah or nea on the idea...

just as a side note... way back in the 70's I did use a trigger shoe on my Uberti 44 Mag SAA (my work gun, the one I hunted with in Arizona, I no longer have it, a Virginian Dragoon has currently taken it's place) and I currently have one on my original Colt Trooper (60's issue)... I know... blasphemy... but it works for me...

On my Ruger .45 Colt I straightened the trigger.

by JimT, Texas, Friday, February 10, 2023, 19:07 (588 days ago) @ Don Sikes

I held the sear end in a large pair of vicegrips to act as a heat sink. I heated the middle part of the trigger till I could just see a bit of color. I laid it on the anvil and tapped it lightly with a small hammer .. tapping on the back of the trigger .. til it was where I wanted it. I never worried about re-heating or anything. It's been like this for 30 years or so and has never given any trouble.

[image]

I have straightened quite a few. I tried just bending one without heating it and broke it. Ever since I have heated them.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, it was in the middle 1980's when I did that! Closer to 40 years.

SINGLE ACTION TRADITIONAL TRIGGERS

by JT, Friday, February 10, 2023, 22:28 (587 days ago) @ JimT

ARE FINE FOR ME BUT THE BISLEY WORKS BETTER STRAIGHTENED.

I like the 'SET BACK' trigger that's on my 41 Magnum.

by JimT, Texas, Friday, February 10, 2023, 22:36 (587 days ago) @ JT

[image]
Gary did this one for me. The first I had was done by Jim Stroh on my .475 Linebaugh. The trigger coming forward as the gun went into recoil would catch my trigger finger between the trigger and the trigger guard and take a chunk out of my finger. With the trigger not coming forward but staying in the rear like a shotgun trigger it stopped all that.

Gary doesn't do them anymore because the clearances are so small that if some dirt or grime builds up the trigger can quit functioning and tie up the gun. The .41 has never given me an issue that way and I have not been kind to it.

TOP GUN IS BY JIM STROH

by JT, Saturday, February 11, 2023, 09:20 (587 days ago) @ JimT

[image]

He did nice work. And that stops the trigger from biting!

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, February 11, 2023, 09:24 (587 days ago) @ JT

Straightening Colt SAA triggers

by Mike P @, Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 15:27 (584 days ago) @ Don Sikes

Familiar territory for me. The old heads subtle encouragement to shoot it a bit and learn my craft seemed to work out well. Then hanging out on this board and Paco's I started to view most Single Actions as Kits, often ranging all the parts on a big towel and slicking them up, measuring, reaming, lapping, etc.
Last week my faith was restored a bit. A buddie handed me a .$%C Cimmeron/Uberty Parton, with slightly fuller nicely checkered walnut grips. Trigger and point of impact were right were I hoped for right out of the box.

--
AKA zzr7ky

RSS Feed of thread