Progress on the old H&R Pistol

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, January 24, 2023, 17:47 (605 days ago)

[image]

Got the pins driven out. The frame hinge screw is ok but there are no threads in the frame meaning I will have to use a tap and thread it for a different screw. It won't be a problem since the hinge screw is a 2-diameter screw with a smaller end for the thread.

Interesting the trigger return spring and the cylinder hand spring both have a lot of life!

[image]

I may have drill the hammer screw. We will see if it breaks loose in a week or so.

Looking interesting

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, January 24, 2023, 18:53 (604 days ago) @ JimT

Have you tried applying a bit of heat to the screw to help it break loose?

Not yet.

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, January 24, 2023, 19:14 (604 days ago) @ Paul

:-P

A tip I read years ago…

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 11:32 (604 days ago) @ JimT

I think it was in a book on gunsmithing ‘cowboy’ guns. For tight or corroded screws, you can take the tip from a magnetic, interchangeable screwdriver and Chuck it up on your drill press. Put a piece of wood in the vice ir in the table and put the gun on the wood. Use the handle of the drill press to lower the tip into the slot and apply a lot more downward pressure than you can with a screwdriver. Then turn the Chuck by hand. I’ve had good luck with that method several times. Especially on cheaper guns that don’t have very parallel screw slots.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Thanks!! I will try it after heating and soaking some more.

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 13:16 (604 days ago) @ Slow Hand

:-D

Thanks!! I will try it after heating and soaking some more.

by E Sisk, Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 14:38 (604 days ago) @ JimT

My best luck has been with Seafoam Deep Creep, Hot air gun for heat (no torches) and the patience of Job, which you seem to have covered.

RSS Feed of thread