Collectable Redhawk?

by anachronism, Thursday, January 12, 2023, 20:21 (617 days ago)

I have a very early 44 mag Redhawk with a three digit S/N that I originally bought from an estate with the intention of cutting it down to four inches and making a decent belt gun out of it. I didn't realize when I bought it that it has a three digit S/N. I did letter the gun through Ruger who only verified what I already know about it being "produced" as they put it in 1980. Redhawks don't appear to have much collector interest, I'm flat stuck, not knowing whether to cut it, or sell it off and build something else. Do three digit 1980 Redhawks bring a premium? I've probably had it for almost 10 years now, and am tired of thinking about it.

Thanks
Bob

First off, let me say....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, January 12, 2023, 20:26 (617 days ago) @ anachronism

I don't really know. I once thought I was going to be a collector but found out my pockets were too shallow and I've lost track of the market since then. Assuming good condition, I would guess there would be a "collector's premium" for a low s/n. The gun market is nuts right now so, I'd expect you could sell it and buy what you want.

But (see above) I don't really know.

How's that for pretty much no help? :-D

First off, let me say....

by anachronism, Thursday, January 12, 2023, 21:22 (617 days ago) @ Hoot

Thank you, I appreciate your opinion as well. This is such a limited corner of the market that opinions surely count too.

Possibly even less help.

by E Sisk, Friday, January 13, 2023, 04:12 (616 days ago) @ anachronism

I've been checking Red Hawks on GB for at least twelve months with the intention of possibly acquiring one. On average any old crusty blue Redhawk will fetch seven hundred +State and Fed Tariffs + shipping + Transfer fee. Blue in good condition add one to two hundred. Stainless add two to three hundred. Ruger rings cuts in barrel rib add a hundred. As Hoot said the market is crazy. Seemingly identical stainless Red Hawks, one may go for eight hundred, the other twelve hundred, on two concurrent auctions. Safe queen, low ser.#, I have no clue.

Possibly even less help.

by anachronism, Friday, January 13, 2023, 16:49 (616 days ago) @ E Sisk

There's so little auction traffic in this guns niche and it astounds me. I even checked auction results at Rock Island without success. New Redhawks are hitting $1300.00, and Plain-Jane 44s often come close to that mark anyway. GunBroker has about 45 std Redhawks listed, compared to about 130 Super Redhawks and Alaskans.

Keep it,Shoot it,Buy something else4a project!!

by E Sisk, Friday, January 13, 2023, 04:20 (616 days ago) @ anachronism

RSS Feed of thread