Paper pistol target suggestions

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 13:06 (631 days ago)

My standard paper target is a piece of typing/copy paper with a stock on 1” or 2” fluorescent crosshair sticker. I have noticed that at 20+ yards, with irons, especially on handguns, that dot is more of a suggestion on where to aim and my groups suffer due to it (that’s what I’m blaming anyways). I was curious what you guys use for pistol targets at similar distances. I see pictures in Mr Taffin’s and Tank Hoovers articles that looks like they are shooting a 6 o’clock hold on something like a 4” orange square. I’ve looked at U-line and similar places for a roll of such stickers to get away cheap but no luck. I’ve thought about cutting a nice square out of a piece of sheet metal then spray painting paper through that hole. If I have to buy something I will. But dang it; I’m cheap! Plus the 8.5x11 sheets are nice to keep in a Manila folder for future perusing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

PS I generally want my handguns to hit point of aim at whatever distance I’m using them, but have zero problems using a 6 o’clock hold to get better accuracy when testing handloads. And yes, I love shooting steel and do so often but when working on various loads, I want something easy to label and take home and look at later.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 13:09 (631 days ago) @ Slow Hand

And this blows my mind. I shot this group at 20 yards on a 6 or 8” steel plate with my new Colt 1909 .45 Colt, but then when trying to shoot at the same distance with an actual orange aiming dot my groups were 50% or more larger!

[image]

--

Orange doesn't work for me.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 14:22 (631 days ago) @ Slow Hand

It's always fuzzy and indistinct. I usually use "left over" bullseye targets from our pistol league. I don't recall the NRA number but it's a standard 50 ft. target with probably a 3" black. I use those because I have a lot of them.

I did make a template for a 1" square and used it to paint black squares on a white or cardboard background. With a square post front, I balance the target square on top. That worked pretty well.

Me neither. I use the same NRA targets, 3" black center

by JohnKDM, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 15:27 (631 days ago) @ Hoot

I think they are 'B2' targets. They work well with open sights, rifle or handgun. I would try different shapes and colors to find what suits.

[image]

Me neither. I use the same NRA targets, 3" black center

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 17:35 (631 days ago) @ JohnKDM

I had B8 or B2 in my head. I’ll have to buy a pack of those and see how they work.

--

I like the 50 foot slow fire ...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 18:36 (630 days ago) @ JohnKDM

Just wish I could blame that stinker to the right on it ;)

[image]

by E Sisk, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 14:25 (631 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I like 6" white paper desert plates, buy at Wally World couple of bucks for stack of 100. Easy to write on and store. My eyes seem to naturally find the center, like using a peep sight. These are first two sight in targets on sandbags, $75 pawn shop find, that I tuned up in 2000[image].

U-LINE RED 2" X 3" IN ROLLS OF 500.

by JT, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 14:47 (631 days ago) @ Slow Hand

[image]

One I really like with open sights

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 14:47 (631 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Is this "victory" rifle target. Print it off on an 8.5X11" sheet of paper and you've got room to list your load info and such. The V shape with horizontal bars gives a very consistent sight picture.

[image]

One I really like with open sights

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 17:38 (631 days ago) @ Paul

That one is new, but I seem to remember an inverted triangle target available from hand loader magazine in the past. A some what pointy spot to put your front sight on seemed too make sense, at least Until the target is so far away it gets blurry!

--

I like that a lot

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, December 30, 2022, 09:34 (630 days ago) @ Paul

n/t

WRONG TARGET PICTURE ABOVE

by JT, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 14:50 (631 days ago) @ Slow Hand

[image]

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 17:37 (631 days ago) @ JT

I think I saw those and wondered how they’d work. Where did the square stickers With the Glock pictured above come from?

I’ve seen similar targets in your articles before and I guess I assumed you had cut the targets down to show the groups. Never guessed they were originally rectangular stickers! Also, thanks fo the load data, I will have to try those two out in my 1935 Smith Outdoorsman!

--

by JT, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 18:29 (631 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Those originally came from Midway and work great. However, they change the "sticky" and they wouldn't stay on the paper whenever the wind was blowing.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 18:46 (630 days ago) @ JT

Ha ha! Nothing like trying to shoot a group on a moving target

--

by Don Sikes @, Vera Cruz, Missouri, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 15:12 (631 days ago) @ Slow Hand

This is one of my more favorite targets to use... [image]

Off hand standing... using this revolver : E.A.A. Bounty Hunter in .357 Mag, 5.5" barrel ...

[image]

LOL Don!

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 18:28 (631 days ago) @ Don Sikes

and thank you.

LOL Don!

by Don Sikes @, Vera Cruz, Missouri, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 22:14 (630 days ago) @ Sarge

I always liked your sense of humor ...

and yes... that is one of my favorite targets to use... cause as bad as my shooting is, it gives me a chuckle to see where my bullets end up hitting down range... LOL

not sure if the internet site mentioned on the target is still good... haven't tried it... if not, that target should be up "for sale" as one of your products on your current page... Hehehe

Enjoy the New Year coming up...

Don "Old Froggie"

Still good...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, December 30, 2022, 09:32 (630 days ago) @ Don Sikes

Though I have lots of new stuff I need to put up there,

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/

by anachronism, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 18:51 (630 days ago) @ Slow Hand

A few minutes with a sponge in the shape of your desired target, inked with a slightly over-inked stamp pad will get you all the targets you could ever want.

I like the front sight to be wider than the aiming point ..

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, December 29, 2022, 22:11 (630 days ago) @ Slow Hand

and I prefer a square one. About a 1" square at 25 yards appears smaller than the Ruger or S&W front sight. Top target is with S&W Model 10.

[image]

[image]

[image]

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Saturday, December 31, 2022, 07:47 (629 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Don`t know where I found this , I use this target for iron sights it is 1 in. wide 7x10 in.upside down T. Works for me . I made a template out of a street sign , put on paper and spray paint (black).:-D

by Jared, Wednesday, January 04, 2023, 08:52 (625 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I use post it notes quite often. They have some that are super sticky or something like that and have the adhesive over about 80% of the Post It vs 20% in normal ones. On the normal ones I just staple the floppy side. You can play with different colors. For me the fluorescent hot pink ones work the best on a white background. On a brown cardboard there are a number of colors that work fairly well.

The Solid Black inverted T targets Ross Seyfried use to use also work well. Years ago I made a template up and would run off copies periodically. Moving out to 100 yards and beyond for my eyes I have to have really good contrast.

RSS Feed of thread