POLISH IT!

by JimT, Texas, Monday, December 12, 2022, 16:16 (648 days ago)

While I cannot speak for all guns, it seems that many of those that come in from other countries have been fitted with extra strong springs to compensate for the lack of polishing the internals. I have found this true on the Rossi leveraction rifles that I have owned and worked on as well as on black powder replicas of the early Colt and Remington revolvers. I found that by doing the polishing yourself you can somewhat lighten the spring tensions without sacrificing reliability.

Recently I bought an Uberti 1848 3rd Model Dragoon. The gun functioned perfectly and shot well, but the trigger pull was extremely heavy. John Taffin told me that I would need to polish the gun up some to smooth it out. In addition he mentioned polishing the "slot" in the hammer where it rests on the safety pin between chambers. If this isn't smoothed it can pull the caps off the nipples and possibly drop them into the lockworks of the gun.

Taking the gun apart I could see it was quite rough in the interior. Additionally, with the hammer spring removed the hammer would not fall all the way forward by its own weight. I traced that to the area that is milled out for the cylinder hand. The milling was very rough and left several "boogers" hanging. I started there with some small jewelers files and eventually got the area smoothed out.

I put a small thin leather shim between hammer spring and the frame where the screw that holds the hammer spring goes. This is to (1) provide a bit more flexing of the hammer spring, thus extending its life and (2) slightly reduce hammer spring pressure.

I polished the sides of the hammer where it rotates in the frame. I also polished the hand. The cylinder stop (the bolt) looked OK so I left it alone. The trigger spring/bolt spring was very heavy. I left the bolt side alone but on the trigger side I carefully straightend out the spring leg, reducing trigger pressure by about half.

The sear face on the hammer and on the trigger were rough. Using a fine stone I polished both, careful not to change the angle. The sear face on the hammer had a small "lip" on the forward edge and I removed that. Then I stoned the metal above the sear until it was flush with the face of the trigger sear. This removed the creep in the trigger. If the sear cut is too deep you cannot do this as the hammer will drop and hit half cock. There are several ways to make the cut more shallow so that the trigger will not go back so far into it that it has to move a long distance before disengaging the hammer. I am not going into them here.

The barrel wedge was so rough that the only way to loosen it was to use a brass punch and a small hammer. Going slow and using the "cut a little and try" method I removed the rough areas on the wedge and on the slot in the barrel that the wedge fits through. Then I stoned it all with a fine stone. The end of the spring on the wedge was cut without much of a lead-in and I polished that with the fine stone until it was rounded in front and behind. Working slow I go it to the place where it slips in much easier now - hand pressure only - and also comes out much easier.

My next project on the Dragoon most like will be a decent front sight.

I enjoy doing this stuff and am happy to have the stuff to be able to do it. And it sure makes the old sixgun that much more pleasant to shoot.

PS .. no .. I did not take any pictures .....

More Polishing

by JimT, Texas, Monday, December 12, 2022, 17:48 (648 days ago) @ JimT

Ha! I have pictures with this one.
I like the little Bearcat Shopkeeper EXCEPT for the verbiage under the barrel. I have never liked the lawyer-inspired READ THE MANUAL stamped on the Rugers.
[image]

So I pulled the ejector rod and housing off the Bearcat and using a fine jewelers file I drawfiled the stamping until I had removed it. I tried to "round" it so I did not make a noticeable "flat" on the barrel. Once I had the lettering gone I used 220 grit sandpaper to smooth it out, followed by 600 grit to polish it. Then I finished up with the Dremel Tool polisher.

[image]

[image]

Looks a lot better to me ...

I removed it from the Ruger SR1911 also ..

[image]

That was easier to remove. Most of it came off using a typewriter eraser. Fine sandpaper finished it. To make the finish match the bead-blasted stainless I laid some 220 grit sandpaper on the polished area and tapped it with a light plastic mallet. It took a little while but eventually I got it close.

[image]

I am not recommending this to anyone .. just sharing a bit of my craziness.

SR1911

by Paul ⌂, Monday, December 12, 2022, 18:44 (647 days ago) @ JimT

I really like how that SR1911 turned out. I've got Ted Adamovich's now, thanks to Matt O. I've been contemplating what it'd take to do that bit of improvement, wouldn't have thought of a typewriter eraser as a starting point.

POLISH IT!

by Paul ⌂, Monday, December 12, 2022, 18:41 (647 days ago) @ JimT

Summer of 2021 I was gifted a Pietta 1860, new in the Traditions box. A lovely piece of ordnance, but a bit rough in the cycling. I proceeded to cycle it over and over and over again. The more I handled it the smoother it got. After a few hundred times of cocking and decocking it the roughness had pretty much disappeared. The barrel was firmly wedged to the frame, even once the wedge was removed. That took a brass punch to drive out. Once the frame came off I reassembled it and disassembled it a few times and got it working fairly well, but the wedge continued to stick way out on the left side of the frame. As all my tools are down south it wasn't possible to do much else, but the pistol is a joy to use now. I'm sure it would benefit from some good polishing, but I'll have to see if I can chase down the necessary equipment to do so some year we're up there again. I'd heard about some of these being quite rough, but this particular example was not too bad at all, but did benefit from the above mentioned cycling. I really should pick up spares for it, I'm sure, but the quality is much better than examples I've messed with in the past.

POLISH IT!

by Mike P @, Wednesday, December 14, 2022, 13:22 (646 days ago) @ JimT

I view most acquisitions as "kits". It seems less disappointing, and more satisfying getting them into a more functional and esthetically pleasing state. :)

--
AKA zzr7ky

RSS Feed of thread