On the Range with the Dragoon

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, November 09, 2022, 16:56 (681 days ago)

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

After shooting the ball loads I switched to a heel bullet ...
[image]

[image]

[image]

The dragoon shows promise. This was my first time out with it. I am gonna need to do a trigger job on it. And work on the sights. But I think it will do well.

[image]

by Gunner @, St Louis, Wednesday, November 09, 2022, 17:38 (681 days ago) @ JimT

You were always good at getting action shots to post. Is it just me or is that load on the heavy side????

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Hottest loads were 45 gr. FFFg which is 5 gr. under max.

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, November 09, 2022, 17:44 (681 days ago) @ Gunner

The bullet is a little heavier than the ball and causes the gun to recoil a bit higher.

Am I correct in what I THINK I see?

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, November 10, 2022, 07:27 (680 days ago) @ JimT

A heeled bullet made from a round ball mold with an enlarged sprue hole?

Except for the enlarged sprue hole ... yes.

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, November 10, 2022, 07:52 (680 days ago) @ Paul

My Dad reamed one cavity on a Lee round ball mold so that it made a heel bullet he was playing with.

[image]

It loads fairly easily into the Dragoon chamber and though I only shot a few of them yesterday it seems to have potential for great accuracy. And it is about 25 grains heavier than the round .457" round ball.

I mistyped...

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, November 10, 2022, 08:01 (680 days ago) @ JimT

thinking of the hole in the top of the mold where the sprue plate cuts it. Hmmm... I THINK I have a single cavity mold or two floating around up north. Will need to see if that'd be doable for my 1860. Although they're cast iron, which would probably need to be done with something other than a hand drill. Lee aluminum blocks would definitely have an advantage here.

by RayLee, Friday, November 11, 2022, 21:23 (678 days ago) @ JimT

Some of those period conicals sure look odd compared to more modern bullet profiles but I think perhaps this one has them all beat for oddness.....

https://www.gimcrackandbunkum.com/product/44-lemat-conicals-sized/

I do believe that is the weirdest bullet I have ever seen.

by JimT, Texas, Friday, November 11, 2022, 23:11 (678 days ago) @ RayLee

:jawdrop:

RSS Feed of thread