Betty Lynn

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, October 27, 2022, 11:17 (694 days ago)

[image]

This is a photo of Betty Lynn in Burma during World War Two. Most old timers would know her as Thelma Lou, Barney Fife's girlfriend on the Andy Griffith show.

When she was 17, against her mother's wishes and fears, she auditioned to participate in United Service Organizations entertainment. She joined the USO right out of high school and helped entertain the troops. At age 18 she was part of a USO tour in the China Burma India Theater during World War II. She realized the gravity of the situation when a Marine gave her a pistol saying, "You might need this." She is believed to have been the only female who visited soldiers on the dangerous Burma Road. A brave and patriotic lady!

--So what kind of pistol is it? What caliber? I have no clue but have my ideas.

Betty Lynn

by JohnKDM, Thursday, October 27, 2022, 13:17 (694 days ago) @ JimT

Betty Lynn - a really neat lady!

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, October 27, 2022, 14:16 (694 days ago) @ JohnKDM

Great article!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, October 27, 2022, 17:45 (694 days ago) @ JimT

Thanks!

CBI-"Confusion Beyond Imagination"

by pokynojoe, Thursday, October 27, 2022, 23:47 (693 days ago) @ JimT

Google Jinx Falkenburg ala CBI ROUNDUP.

A lot who supported the troops then are forgotten today ...

by JimT, Texas, Friday, October 28, 2022, 07:56 (693 days ago) @ pokynojoe

thanks for sharing that.

Betty Lynn

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, October 28, 2022, 18:29 (693 days ago) @ JimT

My first two guesses would be a 1917 or a .38 M&P. Seeing the bullets in the low slung belt, I’m going to guess a 38. Also guessing she’s fairly petite and an N frame would look huge on her hip. That is an interesting looking holster, like a Austin or Brill style rig. Definitely not military issue. Probably brought a long or shipped from home. Which that brings up all kinds of other options for the revolver then…. It does have the grip shape, to me, of a Smith.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

That sounds right ... I though maybe a .44 Special

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, October 29, 2022, 22:43 (692 days ago) @ Slow Hand

but you are right, she was a little thing just 18 years old at the time.

That sounds right ... I though maybe a .44 Special

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, October 30, 2022, 17:57 (691 days ago) @ JimT

Well, that would be much cooler! The holster does add some flair for sure.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Betty Lynn - a really neat lady!

by Drago, Saturday, November 26, 2022, 13:46 (664 days ago) @ JimT

I met her at an autograph show. A very sweet lady. We talked about a movie she was in with Robert Taylor, Fess Parker, and Tina Louise called "The Hangman".

RSS Feed of thread