It's that tri-anual time again...

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, October 06, 2022, 17:20 (715 days ago)

pistol permit up for renewal. SO far it looks like they MIGHT let me do so - after jumping through the hoops. On the other hand, the account number given to deposit the appointment reservation quota into is discontinued, makes one wonder.

Went through all the doctor, psychologist, audiologist and optometrist tests and passed with flying colors. The difference between "a privilege held at the pleasure of government" and a RIGHT is always evident each time this comes up. On top of that, it's been 12 years since they suspended carry permits - but they keep renewing them so far, just not allowed to carry outside the home. That's all I've got to say about that.

Anyway, one question asked by the psychologist gave me a bit of a pause. "How long have you owned this firearm?" Had to do the math. If I did it right, it's been 18 years, more or less. And I'm reminded once more of the generosity of the folks on this forum. Thank you for being a part of our life and ministry here in Coffee Country!

Amazing....nt

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, October 08, 2022, 16:09 (713 days ago) @ Paul

Fun, fun, fun...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, October 08, 2022, 17:20 (713 days ago) @ Creeker

finally got a response from the retired Sergeant in charge of ammo and such at the batallion HQ. Apparently we're supposed to have a "fully functional website" on Tuesday, Oct 11. The good news is that it's not supposed to cost anything to get an appointment (save $10 or so there). The bad news is that in the meantime NOTHING seems to work. We'll see how it plays out. <sigh>

The entertainment continues...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, October 11, 2022, 08:55 (710 days ago) @ Paul

Yesterday the acting secretary of our shooting club called me nice and early. She had a couple items to take care of at the Battalion HQ where all things firearm related have to be taken care of. We've a new guy in charge and she asked him about my case. He said, "Have him come down personally and I'll see what I can do."

Being it was our "Pico y Placa" day in the car (one day a week we can't drive our vehicles, depending on one of the numbers on the license plate - don't get me started), there's no parking at the HQ for civilian vehicles and my darling wife doesn't pilot my RE Rumbler, we hopped on her little Honda Wave 110 and scooted into town. Pulling up at the entrance I hopped off, she scooted forward and took off and I walked up to where I could see the First Sergeant in charge talking with some folks. When he finished I introduced myself and he waved me into the office to see what we could figure out.

A. Yesterday was the first day on the new platform.
B. It's supposed to be up "sometime today".
C. My account appeared to be set up (I'd managed to stumble onto that during my investigations)
D. At least we don't have to pay to get an appointment now.

After walking me through what he assumes is the way things will go I thanked him and headed home to get the required documents and stuff ready to upload when the time comes.

Copy of my carry license - check
Two rubbings of the serial number on tape stuck to white paper - check
Four pictures of the firearm showing in turn serial number, caliber and model, manufacturer and full length side shot - check
Psychological/medical exam showing cleared to carry - check
ID Card, both sides - check

So now we wait. In the meantime I dug around what little I could and found that I could request that my account be activated. (Huh? I'd already done that - I thought) A few hours later I go back and Voilá! now there's a new option!!! So I request that my firearms be "synchronized". The kicker being that the only place in the country that can do that is - Bogotá, HQ for the nation. So I put in for that as well on the assumption that once they DO get my firearm "synchronized" to my account that finally I'll be able to file for renewal. But at this point it's all just a guessing game. The worst part is - I'm the first one in the club to get the joy of playing this new game. :-D

No joy so far this morning. And now we wait.

I would rather you did not post this kind of stuff.

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, October 11, 2022, 09:16 (710 days ago) @ Paul

The bureaucrats at the ATF have enough bad ideas without you contributing to them. I can see them reading through these requirements and having almost ee rotic episodes right in their offices as they envision all the paperwork and hoops to jump through.

(Just kidding Paul .. it was worse than what you have going on in Mozambique. I was never even tempted to try.)

A while back...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, October 11, 2022, 09:25 (710 days ago) @ JimT
edited by Paul, Tuesday, October 11, 2022, 15:32

a friend was with me at a local gunshow up in the US. A friend from down here. ;-) We saw a little Jennings on a table (yeah, I know) and the price was in line with what I'd be willing to pay as I'd wanted to play with one for a while (it's the little 22 LR version). So I stepped over, handed the man the money, picked up the pistol and stuck it in my pocket. "See? That's how it's SUPPOSED to work in a free country!" Two private individuals conducting business to mutual satisfaction. It drives control freaks nuts!

But I'm a guest here so the offers to acquire unpapered firearms are turned down. But I understand why a lot of folks will run the risk of a 10 year minimum prison sentence in order to have the means to protect themselves and loved ones. And that's also part of the reason corpses turn up downstream occasionally. Easier to dispose of a threat than to face the consequences of having done so with with an unpapered firearm. And no one sees nothin', as the saying goes.

And still we wait...

by Paul ⌂, Wednesday, October 12, 2022, 10:59 (709 days ago) @ Paul

This new platform is "interesting", to say the least. There is no true automation, you'd think they'd have set it up so that as each person set up an account that their ID would automatically propagate their account with pertinent firearms and licenses. But that would be too easy. Apparently each and every step has to be followed by some computer jockey who eventually gets the round tuit and manually does whatever they apparently believe they have to do. We're on the fourth or fifth step so far, and no joy as to uploading the paperwork necessary to start the renewal process. Yes, I'm highly entertained! :-D

Gotta love bureaucracy... still waiting... (nt)

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, October 13, 2022, 08:50 (708 days ago) @ Paul

I am SO glad you nhaven't needed it, for it's main porpose

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 12:24 (703 days ago) @ Paul

Stay frosty!

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Roger that. Still waiting... lovely bureaucrats... (nt)

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, October 18, 2022, 13:19 (703 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

RSS Feed of thread