Need opinion on Hi Tek bullet lube......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Friday, September 23, 2022, 09:52 (728 days ago)

[image]

Does Hi Tek lube work? Whats max velocity before severe leading starts? And does that differ depending on hardness of lead? Does it leave much of a coating in rifling?

I know it has been around for a few years but never gave it much thought, guess I am old school and like my bullets silver in color with a blue lube band. Was bullet shopping this past week and noticed a lot more Hi Tek lubed bullets being offered and much cheaper in price than old style types. So let me know your experience/thoughts on them.

Thanks,
Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

I can't tell you much about them except

by JimT, Texas, Friday, September 23, 2022, 11:16 (728 days ago) @ Gunner

I refuse to shoot a cartridge that looks like a tube of lipstick! :-(

Elmer and God made bullets with lube grooves for a reason. :-D

I love Jim's reply!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, September 23, 2022, 12:49 (728 days ago) @ Gunner

I don't know that I've used Hi-Tek coatings as a brand but I've shot a few thousand coated bullets. Melodie loves them to look like little tubes of lipstick and that's good enough for me. I have seen no coating left in the barrel. Pistols only (I think) so, low-ish velocity and barrel length. I have read reports that the Hi-Tek coating can be run into the low 2000's.

In theory, the coating deforms with the bullet so that there is no lead-to-bore contact. The "standard test" for home coated bullets is the Hammer Smash. Put the coated bullet on an anvil, smash it with a hammer and see how the coating survives. The pictures I've seen show the coating still covering the deformed bullet. The few pictures of recovered bullets I've seen still show coating in the grooves and lands of the bullet.

I don't powder coat myself. The equipment is fairly minimal but I already have a set-up for traditional lubes (and I prefer that look as well).

Need opinion on Hi Tek bullet lube......

by Bob Hatfield @, Friday, September 23, 2022, 16:55 (728 days ago) @ Gunner

Haven't used Hi-Tek but I have powder coated a .312 185 grain Lee bullet with two layers of powder coating and sized the bullet to .316. It irons the coating deeper and makes my 09 Argentine with a .315 bore a shooter again using 2400 powder...............Bob

Never used HiTek

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 09:21 (726 days ago) @ Gunner

But I have shot a few thousand powder coated bullets in everything from a 32-20 to my 45/70. I have run them at 2300fps from my 375 Ruger, only issue I have is how soft they are due to heating them at 425 in the toaster oven. I do still lube some of them, especially if I will be shooting them in my 34" barreled Sharps. For pistol, unless I am hunting, that is all I use, and if I don't need a ton of penetration, I even hunt with them. Below is a 115gr bullet from my Marlin 1894 that went through 5 gallon jugs of water, initial velocity was 1923 fps.
[image]

I’ve not gone for high velocities…

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 08:36 (724 days ago) @ Gunner

But I have shot a few thousand of them in my .300 blk. I get a 240-ish from MO Bullet Co and they are good stuff. I e been powder coating my own for awhile now. They work really well and are able to use softer alloys. I had tried it awhile back with cheap Harbor Freight powder and poor results. Jeff Tank Hoover got me to buy some quality powder from Eastwood’s and try it again. Now k e got three different colors and pretty much all I do is powder coat. They work very well for my pistol caliber stuff, but I don’t think I’ve pushed them over 1200 fps. I know mothers have with good luck though.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Thanks everyone......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 19:05 (724 days ago) @ Gunner

Not sure if I want to mess with them or not at the moment. Leaning toward what Jim stated, not sure if I can get past the looks of them.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

RSS Feed of thread