New levergun

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, September 07, 2022, 08:32 (744 days ago)

I was able to make a deal yesterday on a meat lever gun that I guess I never really thought about owning! I picked up a Remington era 1894 Marlin. It was bout several years ago for a deer rifle here in IN and he said he’d killed a couple deer with it but only out about 75 rounds through it. The wood has a couple of small marks on it but nothing too bad. Metal is in great shape. Only issue is he used a crap screwdriver and messed up one of the scope mount plug screws. I’ll have to see what it’ll take to get it out. I have a spare set around or I may slip a mount on there and mount a small red dot I have laying around. It has sling swivels on it so I’ll be adding a simple leather carry strap and may end up with a butt cuff for some spare rounds.

The action is pretty smooth for a near new gun and the trigger, while kind of heavy is very crisp. I ran some cartridges through it last night and I am happy to see it feeds my 454424’s loaded both in .45 Colt and .45 Schoffield cases. Also runs my 200 gr rnfp slick as can be. I’m hoping to get it to the range next week and see how it does.

[image]

[image]

[image]

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

That is a handly rifle. I always liked the 1894 Marlins.

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, September 07, 2022, 09:35 (744 days ago) @ Slow Hand

ME TOO!

by JT, Wednesday, September 07, 2022, 16:10 (744 days ago) @ JimT

Of all the lever guns chambered in pistol cartridges I have testfired over the last 65 years the most accurate I have ever found in the Marlin Trapper 16" .45 Colt.

Nice!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, September 07, 2022, 10:45 (744 days ago) @ Slow Hand

It wasn't my first levergun but it was near the beginning. We bought a '94 Winchester in .45 Colt. I took my first hog with that one using one of Tony B's "Slugger" bullets. Two shots because the first was too low in the chest--operator error. At the second shot, he tipped over and was done. Melodie took a hog with it as well. We snuck up on a sleeping boar and she put one in his ear. That hog never moved. They are fun rifles!

New levergun

by jgt, Wednesday, September 07, 2022, 11:56 (744 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I got my Sister-in-law one like that in 357. It had a seven pound trigger but I managed to bring it down to five with no creep and very crisp. I could do better but didn't dare with someone not as experienced with them. I only had to drift the sight over a slight amount to get it on target.
Watch taking it apart. They have some razor sharp edges inside especially where the bottom plate and receiver meet. I just broke the edge with a deburring tool and it was fine, but not before donating some blood to the cause.
Congratulation on finding one in good enough condition to shoot. I took a big chance since I got it on line. I was relieve after inspecting it. The sights were fine and the fit and finish were not as good as my JB Marlin 44 magnum, but good enough to shoot and use for its intended purpose.

New levergun

by Frank S, Wednesday, September 07, 2022, 14:45 (744 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Saw that on INGO.
Good shooting!

New levergun

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, September 07, 2022, 17:21 (744 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Things went very well at work today, so I celebrated by going to the range after work. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to like my standard.45 vol load but it shoots my 200gr RNFP bullets pretty well. With my bad eyes; I’m happy with these!

[image]

[image]

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

RSS Feed of thread