Raining Hard This Afternoon .. and we needed it!

by JimT, Texas, Monday, August 22, 2022, 18:26 (760 days ago)

I did some shooting in the shop on my .22 Indoor Range ... shooting the Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper. I decided to try Aguila .22 Shorts in it. Shooting 20 feet in poor light I had a hard time seeing the sights. I could see them for 2 or 3 shots and then things got really fuzzy.

[image]

If you look at the top of the photo above you can see where I screwed up one shot and hit the clamp that holds the targets!

[image]

[image]

I gotta rig some lights that help me see the sights better. Man I miss my 30-year old eyes!

by E Sisk, Monday, August 22, 2022, 19:22 (760 days ago) @ JimT

Have the regular Bearcat. Serrated the back of the blade with a checkering file, dab of white on front sight. Blackened back face of the rear notch. I shoot a 'LOT' of CCI CB Caps adjusted with one of Paco's ACU'RZR tools. [image]

Looks like they work really well!

by JimT, Texas, Monday, August 22, 2022, 19:51 (760 days ago) @ E Sisk

I may try serrations on the front sight. That's a good idea. I blackened the front sight and that helps some ... but even in good light I have problems with the sights fuzzing out.

[image]

by jgt, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 08:55 (759 days ago) @ E Sisk

If you can't find any locally, Skinner has some paint pens that work real well for that.

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 09:15 (759 days ago) @ JimT

Sheri and I spent four hours in the plane on the runway in Houston last Friday, waiting for the storm to let up so we could all head south. On the positive side that meant less time in the airport in Panama and the area really needed the moisture. So win/win. We were glad that it was clear enough here in Pereira so we weren't sent off to some other port of entry, lack of rain has not been a problem here for some time.

Fuzzy sights are a real problem. I'm almost tempted to try one of those HiViz type front sights to see if that'd improve things. They're ugly, unattractive and give a very different sight picture than I'm used to, so haven't gotten that desperate yet. A couple of 10" 4.5 mm barrels somehow managed to find their way south so I'm going to try that first - longer radius MAY improve the sight picture. Don't know if it'll be enough for low light or not, only one way to find out. The 4" 38, on the other hand, is what it is and I just have to do what I can to shoot it as is.

by Don Sikes @, Vera Cruz, Missouri, Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 15:14 (759 days ago) @ JimT

All that rain pasted south of us... just got a touch of it here in the Ozarks...

As for old eyes... yeah... I'm relying more and more on "instictive" point shooting these days... rather than precise aimed shots...

I also use a lot of Aguila Super Colibri powderless .22 ammo for short range (and or indoor) shooting... very little "report" and for "barn rat" distances, it does the trick...

Back in 2005 I did an experiment with the Colibris at 30 yards to see if they would group... the target was a life-size silhouette of a ground squirrel... amazing enough I was able to put all the rounds into the silhouette... wish I still had those eyes...

Here is my experiment at 30 yards with a HighStandard Longhorn using the Colibri rounds

[image]

here is my HighStandard Longhorn 9" .22 and and the Colibri rounds I used

[image]

RSS Feed of thread