1849 Colt Pocket Revolver

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, June 23, 2022, 10:38 (666 days ago)

[image]

Colt's small-frame "Pocket Pistols" really helped establish the Colt business financially. They were popular and sold well. There were various models produced. The "1849 Pocket Pistol" was made from 1850 until 1873, with approximately 326,000 being produced. They were made in .31 caliber with octagon barrels of 3" ... 4" ... 5" ... or 6" lengths. The majority of them had loading levers. Initially they were made in 5-shot configuration. In later production some 6-shot model were made. During its production life the 1849 Pocket Pistol saw changes or variations in trigger guards, loading cutouts, loading lever latches, sights, hammers, finishes, engravings etc. Many were produced with brass gripframe and trigger guard which were often silver plated though there were some steel frame models produced also.

The one I have is an Italian-made copy that belonged to my Father-In-Law and became mine upon his passing. He shot it more than I have. I enjoy taking it out now and then as it does not use large amounts of powder and lead. The .31 caliber ball weighs around 48 grains and a pound of them contains 146 such balls. 9 grains of 3Fg black powder will push the 48 gr. ball around 550 fps. That's not a lot of power but in its day no one wanted to get shot with one of these. The little gun even with its light loading was considered a pretty good self defense gun. It is a fun little revolver to plink tin cans with or shoot clay pigeons on the backstop. I don't shoot far, 50 feet being long distance for the little gun.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread