The FrankenRuger

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, June 14, 2022, 14:33 (829 days ago)
edited by Paul, Sunday, June 19, 2022, 18:25

A long term project comes together... 45 Colt.

[image]

That`s a cool handgun I`ll bet it shoot`s very well!!

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Tuesday, June 14, 2022, 16:38 (829 days ago) @ Paul

NT.:-D :-D

Details?.....nm

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Tuesday, June 14, 2022, 20:26 (829 days ago) @ Paul

xxx

Details?.....nm

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, June 19, 2022, 18:13 (824 days ago) @ Andrew

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week - to say the least.

Started off with a Blackhawk frame that was marked 45 Caliber but was fitted with a 44 Mag barrel/cylinder. It had also been flat topped by someone with a grinder/file or ???

JT gave me the bird's head grip frame/grip panels a while back. I traded a 4 5/8" 45 caliber barrel that I believe I got from rob for a 7 1/2" 45 caliber barrel. That was fitted along with a 45 Colt cylinder that I got from ??? and a factory rear sight was fitted along with a Bisley hammer and trigger. Mic McPherson sculpted the inside of the loading gate one time when I visited him. A reduced power Wolff spring was installed as well. It also has a steel ejector housing and a Belt Mountain base pin with the lock screw fitting into a divot in the underside of the barrel.

After Dusty Hooley fitted it all together they prepped it and ran it through Tyler Gunworks' refinishing. It ended up with a lovely, deep blue barrel and cylinder and a beautiful color case hardened frame. The grip frame is nicely polished and blacked as well and the grip panels are well fitted as well. It's got a factory front sight that gives plenty of light on either side of it.

The best part is that it puts the bullets exactly where I point it. Now to learn to point it more accurately. :-D

Details?.....nm

by Otony, Sunday, June 19, 2022, 19:05 (824 days ago) @ Paul

Tell us more about McPherson sculpting the inside of the loading gate.

Please.

Otony

Re: Mic

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, June 19, 2022, 19:10 (824 days ago) @ Otony

A few years ago I still entertained the idea of doing most of the work myself - but was running into issues with internal parts. I was staying with Mic and asked him about the problems, but he's not that much of a sixgunner, doing most of his smithing on rifles, especially leverguns. Well, he took a look anyway, and took a look at the loading gate. Then he took a Dremel and a grinding tip and sculpted the inside of the loading gate so that when you flip it open the thumb naturally engages the hollow. It's slick, and unique. Don't think I've ever seen one like it before. I'll try and get a pic of it one of these days, along with other details of the build.

Other than all that.....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, June 20, 2022, 19:13 (823 days ago) @ Andrew

it's pretty danged cool.

RSS Feed of thread