DANGEROUS GAME vs. DANGEROUS HUMANS

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, May 05, 2022, 07:37 (869 days ago)

or Why I prefer Hardball or Cast Bullets in my .45 ACP.................

Before you read this please understand that No One has to agree with me. I am not trying to gain a following or tell people what to use. This is MY opinion and I am simply sharing what I use and why I use it.

"Karamojo" Bell set the standard for dangerous game when he wrote: "A bullet that breaks up is worse than worthless. Penetration is what counts. A bullet that cannot reach the vitals it is aimed at, no matter what the intervening tissue and bone, not only does not kill quickly and reliably but vastly compounds the element of danger to the hunter. A wounded animal is ten times more likely to kill or injure the shooter than an unharmed one. The answer for dangerous game, especially thick-skinned, heavily boned species, is the "solid" bullet precisely placed from a rifle of sufficient caliber to provide the power needed to penetrate, but not so heavy as to be awkward or overpowered."

Bell's idea was to combine the knowledge of anatomy with precise bullet placement, using a "solid" bullet of sufficient power to reach that part of the animal that would bring a quick, decisive death.

Thinking of this while reading some articles on why a person should never use "hardball" ammunition for self-defense, I was struck by the logic of some of the writers in gun magazines. Often their reasoning was like this: "If I was shooting a bear or other dangerous game, yes, I would use hardball. But not for self-defense against a person."

My reaction was "WHAT!?"

I was amazed that their thinking seemed to be that humans are less dangerous than animals. Now I am no expert but for as long as I have walked this planet I have met a whole lot more dangerous humans than I have dangerous animals.

Most all of the writers sing the same song. "Use a bullet that will expend it's whole energy in the target and stop in the target." or words to that effect. To me, such talk is ignorant of how and what bullets do. For one thing, bullets don't have "energy" in the literal sense of foot-pounds of energy. The definition of "foot-pounds" is the amount of energy required to lift one pound one foot. Hang a twenty pound log on a rope 4 or 5 feet long. Shoot into it with your 9mm using the 124 gr. FMJ ammo which is rated at 324 foot-pounds of muzzle energy. I don't care how close you get to the muzzle, your shot will not swing the log one foot sideways let alone lift it 2 inches. If your pistol actually produced 324 foot-pounds of energy it would knock that log flying and break your wrist when it went off. Your .44 Magnum won't move the log very far either. Quite frankly, neither will a .300 Winchester Magnum rifle. bullets don't have that kind of energy.

I sometimes wonder if these "experts" have ever shot anything that was living and breathing at the time.

But what about "over penetration"?

I want more penetration than I need, not less. If I put a hole in something I would rather have a hole going out if possible. Wouldn't that endanger innocent bystanders? Yes. It certainly could. And no one wants to injure or kill innocent people. But rarely does one have the option of choosing when and where to shoot in a self-defense situation. If it is truly a life or death situation requiring the use of deadly force, the blame for innocents being harmed is laid upon the person who committed a crime that resulted in the use of force. (Check your local use of deadly force statutes.)

It should also be mentioned that the majority of shots fired in self-defense .. according to records of Police shootings ... miss their intended target entirely. To me a missed shot is pretty deadly. I mean, if it will stop in the body of a bad guy, but the bad guy is missed, it will easily stop in the body of an innocent. As far as I am concerned, the over-pentration argument is just writers hype. They have to sell articles.

I want a load that will penetrate to the vitals no matter the angle that I am shooting, or how large the intended target is, or what the target may be clothed with. Some of those fancy hollowpoints may not even reach the body if it is winter and the person is dressed for very cold weather and weighs in excess of 300 pounds. While that bullet may penetrate 12 inches of jello and then stop, shooting a large fat bad guy dressed for 10 below zero just might not do anything but piss him off.

The other side of the problem is this: often hollowpoint bullets fired through clothing tend to "plug" the hollow point and the bullet acts just like a solid hardball. There is a lot of emperical evidence to verify this. The down-side is if the bullet is light weight for the caliber, it will not penetrate like a standard weight bullet will.

The basic thing I realized a long time ago ... there is NO magic bullet. If there is any magic it has to come strictly from the person shooting the gun.

My last reason for carrying hardball is hardball does not give feeding problems that some large-cavity hollowpoint bullets can. The gun just runs better with hardball. I prefer reliability over problems getting some fancy bullet to feed properly. I want that firearm to operate properly and reliably first and foremost. So no thanks. I will use my old hardball .45 ACP thank you. The whole reason it was designed was to stop large aggressive attackers and it will still do that IF the shooter does his or her part.

And THAT is the key to everything. Precise placement of the shot. Something that is pretty hard to do when your life is on the line. But it was something hunters of dangerous game (and those who hunted dangerous men) learned. It is something that those of us who carry need to learn.

[image]

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Thursday, May 05, 2022, 07:56 (869 days ago) @ JimT

What! Common sense.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Friday, May 06, 2022, 22:19 (868 days ago) @ JimT

With what I cast going deep is not the problem.

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, May 07, 2022, 09:26 (867 days ago) @ JimT

For smaller caliber guns, FMJ gives me more comfort when carrying, rather make a small hole and follow up shot then have a HP failure.

Mainly I prefer a 5" 1911 in 45 acp with 230 gr Gold Dot for self defense. Personally I worry a lot about over penetration because I live close to a major city with lots of people and really don't want to have a trial for killing a bystander : (

BUT my first concern is with the safety of my family, grand kids and myself, hence the 45 acp. And to the old thought of a hollow point plugging with clothing, so my 230 Gold Dot HP becomes a FMJ, not really a issue in my case.

Modern ammo has come a long ways in the last 30 years with all the new hollow point technology, but are willing to bet your life on it??????

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, May 15, 2022, 10:56 (859 days ago) @ Gunner

The older I get the more pragmatic I am. I recently wanted a 38 super 1911. I already have a Sistema 1911 in 45 and a Springfield Mod 2 3.3 in 45 acp. I like the 185gr FMJ in the 45's Seems the recoil is more manageable for me especially in the little Mod 2 3.3

Back to the 38 Super auto. I bought some Winchester M1152 9mm Active-Duty ammunition that states on the box its muzzle velocity is 1320 FPS with a 115 gr Flat nose bullet. In my Glock 17 it clocks right at 1300 fps. That is probably 38 super speeds. I believe the Winchester Active duty 9mm ammo is +P+. It doesn't say it on the box but it does say it is loaded to Military velocity and pressure 10-15 % higher than industry standard. So I already have my 38 Super in the form of a Glock 17 with this ammo. But the Glock doesn't have the Panache LOL. I've always felt more comfortable with a deeper penetrating round either handgun or rifle.

Bob

RSS Feed of thread