.311" barrel - have one laying aound gathering dust?

by Paul ⌂, Friday, February 11, 2022, 11:50 (952 days ago)

I've been contemplating C.E. Harris' article on building a 32 SWL rifle based on a singleshot 410 shotgun for which he had a barrel made. Actually, he ended up with two barrels, one in 32 ACP and the other in 32 SWL which he later reamed out to 32 H&R. I've long been intrigued by the idea of a 32 SWL rifle and the idea of having such a barrel fitted to an old 410 makes sense (at least in my tangled brain it does). Since we've got a 327 Single Seven in the stable, and most of the ammo for it is of the 32 SWL persuasion, it makes sense to procure a long arm launching platform in the same flavor. So I figured I'd feel out the possibilities of a surplus barrel rattling around in one of y'all's shop/basement/garage/junk pile. I've been using my weak 'net skills to seek out a donor barrel, but so far am coming up dry. A new barrel would be nice, but that'd increase the cost of the project tremendously, especially if it needed to be turned down to keep it from being prohibitively heavy for its intended users (my wife and grandkids). I'm hoping to find one with at least 20" of useable bore. Thanks for any leads.

Nothing here unfortunately.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, February 11, 2022, 12:32 (952 days ago) @ Paul

I will note that my .32 SWL Martini has what looks like a 2-groove 30 caliber barrel...maybe an old mil-surp? I shoot .314" bullets out of it without issue and the fired necks show there is sufficient room for expansion in that regard. Finding a .30 barrel might open up the possibilities. Then it's more of an issue of throat size over bore. FWIW, the Martini slugs right on .308".

Harris used...

by Paul ⌂, Friday, February 11, 2022, 12:48 (952 days ago) @ Hoot

a cut off Garand barrel, IIRC. I'm having a hard time remembering which military barrels slugged out around .311. Took a look at Numrich and they have a couple 30-40 barrels, one at least of which is stamped/marked or what ever as "Drill purpose only" - which leaves one a bit hesitant without a chance for a hands on examination.

Memory is kicking in...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, February 11, 2022, 13:32 (952 days ago) @ Paul

I bought one of these a few years back for a different project. The bore on mine is amazing!

https://www.sarcoinc.com/lee-enfield-1-mk-3-enfield-barrel/

Redman barrel liners

by Mike P @, Friday, February 11, 2022, 14:41 (952 days ago) @ Paul

Same situation here.
Looking at Redman liners: http://redmansrifling.com/gun-barrel-liners/
I am pretty happy with .32 Fed Mag brass from Starline.
Also Hollow Base Wadcutter and HP Molds from MP molds.:-)

--
AKA zzr7ky

Realizing that no two are likely identical...

by Paul ⌂, Friday, February 11, 2022, 17:46 (952 days ago) @ Hoot

do you remember what yours slugged out at? Also, do you happen to know what the outside diameter of the barrel is right in front of the chamber?

I'm thinking that whacking it off just in front of the chamber (hmmm - would the neck portion of the chamber be tight enough to admit to being reamed out to 32 SWL, thus keeping as long of a usable bore as possible?) and then having a locking block attached and extractor fitted would give one a very usable barrel for the purpose.

I've never had an Enfield to play with, so am ignorant of the makeup of the barrel assembly. Is that ring in front of the rear sight part of the barrel, or is it merely sweated on or something? Also, is the rear sight sweated on or how is it attached?

I'm thinking (based purely on that picture and a wild imagination) that the rear sight and that ring could be removed and something along the lines of a Skinner Sights peep or even some version of a Williams could be fitted for sighting purposes.

Thanks, Mike.

by Paul ⌂, Friday, February 11, 2022, 17:51 (952 days ago) @ Mike P

I was trying to remember who did the barrel liners and kept coming up blank. 1/2" diamter, would need to find a 1/2" inside diameter blank to fit it up to. But then one is dealing with a known quantity. Redman's got an excellent reputation with many folks.

Yeah, I've got some good Starline brass - 32 SWL. Have had a back order 327 Fed Mag in with them since January a year ago. A recent inquiry via email says that they've NO idea when they'll bring out the next run of it. At least I've got my order in. :-) Mic McPherson was trying to get a special run of the stuff put together before the stuff hit the fan a couple years ago, but there wasn't enough interest among the parties concerned in the effort. I put an order in with him at the time on the theory that eventually someday there'd be a need for it. Well, the need showed up and the supplies have mostly evaporated. :-(

I was watching a listing on g'broker

by Paul ⌂, Friday, February 11, 2022, 17:54 (952 days ago) @ Mike P

for 50 virgin Starline cases in a plastic ammo box. It closed at just over $52 plus shipping. Nuts! That's what the current situation is.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, February 11, 2022, 18:35 (952 days ago) @ Paul

Numrich’s has a lot of barrels to look at. I’m assuming this is a Garand takeoff…

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1575270

I wonder how an ‘06 barrel would perform. I’d think with a fairly long, tapered throat, and a low pressure round, you would be more than safe shooting a slightly undersized bore. I wonder how the rifling twist would match up though. That to me would be the biggest possible issue. It sounds like a fun little project for sure. I’ve got a .32rf rolling block I have plans to change over to centerfire and chamber it for 32 swl. I figure it will be a fun, light little plinker.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

I never did slug mine.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, February 11, 2022, 20:03 (952 days ago) @ Paul

I can give it a go in the morning as well as ginning up some other dimensions. I believe (but will look) the front and rear sight bases are sweated to the barrel. Mine had a loose ring on it but right now I don't recall what it was for...handguard retainer maybe? The rear end of the barrel (which you would cut off anyway) is a D shape and referred to as the Knox Form (or sometimes Nox Form). Otherwise, the barrel is round and pretty much a straight taper.

Yep.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, February 11, 2022, 20:06 (952 days ago) @ Paul

I'd like to add to my supply of .22 Hornet but not at the prices they seem to fetch. Same with a few other cartridges...and not really any I'd call 'odd'. Look for some .35 Rem some time....sheesh.

by RayLee, Friday, February 11, 2022, 23:37 (952 days ago) @ Paul
edited by RayLee, Saturday, February 12, 2022, 00:03

There are three in-stock here that might work.....

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/637/1

$7.35 per inch. 8" minimum.

Chaszel on "echobey" has 10" .410 inserts for .38 spl. & .380 acp. Thin, thin, thin walls in those chamberings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/410-to-38-Special-RIFLED-Shotgun-Adapter-Black-Oxide/115059207...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/410-to-380-ACP-RIFLED-Shotgun-Adapter-Black-Oxide/115059214961...

We have a rossi single(.410) that is kept loaded with an 5" chaszel .32 long for suburban armadillo, gato, groundhog, opossum. very quiet. In .32 s&w long chambering, the walls seem thin.....so thin, I don't think I'd buy either .35 caliber.

There is also mcace (alaska) on f.b. I have endeavoured to contact him (them) for over 20 years and have been unsuccessful. mcaceak.com is sometimes active/operating.

by RayLee, Friday, February 11, 2022, 23:56 (952 days ago) @ RayLee

b.t.w. the 1/2" o.d. of the liner doesn't allow enough for a rim to be used like the inserts. Just turn it down until it fits and epoxy in place. I have turned blanks down on a rickety hobby woodworking lathe with a file. A 10$ 8.5mm fluted bit will ream chamber and a 3/8" will relieve rim recess.

by E Sisk, Saturday, February 12, 2022, 04:59 (951 days ago) @ Paul

It does seam to be doable. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/919382373

mister G.....

by RayLee, Saturday, February 12, 2022, 07:23 (951 days ago) @ Hoot

Grafs has ppu .22 hornet brass at double what it should be.....

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/73806

and.....

by RayLee, Saturday, February 12, 2022, 07:27 (951 days ago) @ RayLee

Track has your .25acp blank/liner that you've always wanted. At 7/16" o.d.the chamber end of the .410 barrel will need some windage fattening (shimming).

Thank you Ray.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, February 12, 2022, 07:52 (951 days ago) @ RayLee

I'll look into that.

That's pretty cool!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, February 12, 2022, 07:57 (951 days ago) @ E Sisk

and.....

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, February 12, 2022, 07:59 (951 days ago) @ RayLee

Thanks, Ray! I'd not really paid attention to that list for anything other than 32 or 30 caliber barrels. That is indeed an intriguing bit of information. I know a couple of smiths... need to think about the platform.

Now we know

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, February 12, 2022, 08:01 (951 days ago) @ Hoot

the answer to the "What kind of budget would it take?" At least $1,500!

Following mister gibson's link.....

by RayLee, Saturday, February 12, 2022, 20:21 (951 days ago) @ Paul

Hadn't taken the time to crawl that sight yet...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, February 12, 2022, 20:40 (951 days ago) @ RayLee

a lot of interesting items available. Those M1 Carbine stubs look like an interesting option for a rebarrel on a sixgun project or a scratch built singleshot pistol. The one that really intrigues me is this one:

https://www.sarcoinc.com/titan-rifle-barrel-4140-24-long-30-06/

That should easily trim into a 20+ inch barrel for my contemplated project. Thanks for the tip that got me digging!

RSS Feed of thread