.45 Mountain Gun

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, December 26, 2021, 07:27 (851 days ago)
edited by Slow Hand, Sunday, December 26, 2021, 07:31

Since I’ve recently become a fan of N frames and have always been a fan of .45 colt, I’ve been on the lookout for a .45 colt mountain gun. I have a couple of 2nd model HE that were originally 455’s, one from our own Kid Cossack via Arch Stanton and a second I picked up locally. The second one I cut down to 4” and remounted the front sight. Built a nice basket stamped Tom Threepersons holster for it and worked up a couple of .45 Schofield loads for it, since my favorite 454d24 didn’t want to fit the cylinder in .45 colt brass. It was nice and fun to shoot, it something in me just wanted a more modern revolver with better sights. A out a yer ago I found a 625-8, heavy 4” barreled .45 ACP. I shot it a decent amount and it is accurate and very smooth. In Mr Taffin’s Book of the 45, he has a load for the above 454424 and unique that gives around 900fps, so I had my .45 colt equivalent in a similar package. Something in me wouldn’t stop looking though and about five or six weeks ago a 625-6came up for sale for $1400. More than I wanted to spend but seemed to be about going price. I messaged the seller and no budge on price and no trades, so I wrote it off. A few weeks later, he resisted it and added OBO to the price! Long story short, I got it for $1200. No box or papers but that doesn’t matter to me as I see this being on the ‘no sale’ list! It did come with a set of crimson Trace laser grips that I have no desire to leave on there, so hopefully I can sell them to recoup a small bit of the cost. I’ve got some special 45’s loaded up and will hopefully get to the range soon to test it out. Some pictures of the new mountain gun along with its inspiration and it’s predecessor. I am interested to shoot it side by side on paper and over the chrono to see how the heavy loaded acp’s compare to the colt loadings.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread