The S&W model 648 - .22 WRM Goodness

by AaronB, Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 10:36 (897 days ago)

A few weeks ago I used a Smith & Wesson Model 648 I inherited to put down a sick fox in my front yard. One Winchester HP to the brain pan from 20 feet away sufficed, as you might imagine it would.

It occurred to me at the time that up until then I hadn't given this revolver its due... this revolver kind of has a lot wrong with it on paper. It's heavy for the caliber, you can't reload for it, the ammunition for it is more expensive than it deserves to be... honestly, I hadn't thought that I would find much use for it. I generally consider the ammo too costly to plink with, especially with .22 Long Rifle sixguns close to hand. Conversely, the gun is too heavy and at the same time the caliber too light for me to think of it as a carry gun.

But it was the nearest thing to hand when I had to put the animal in my yard out of his misery, and it served quite nicely. Which leads me to think that handgun hunting for small game might be this sixgun's niche in life. It's smooth and accurate, and has good adjustable sights. It's a 6-inch K-frame, and its weight makes it steady to hold. In the right holster it may be just the thing for woods bumming.

This is a stock photo I pulled off the web, but it's representative.

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread