Afteryears of not really caring much for the .41 mag I

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, October 23, 2021, 11:50 (1063 days ago)

traded for a hard used, but sound M58. I like fixed sight Ns for everyday carry and have some random ammo for it. I'll make an IWB holster and 2x41 cal pouch for it. [image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, October 23, 2021, 13:25 (1063 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Lovely popper. I've got grips like those for my M10 4" heavy barrel.

41 mag.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, October 23, 2021, 14:48 (1063 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

ABOUT TIME you got one :-D

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

by Catoosa, Saturday, October 23, 2021, 17:37 (1063 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

A classy looking rig there, Mr. Rob!

And, when you tire of it, let me know...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, October 23, 2021, 18:06 (1063 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have .41's but no Smiths. Not today as I'm not ready but maybe some day in the future?

If I do... you'll be the first to know. It's easy packing.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, October 23, 2021, 21:49 (1063 days ago) @ Hoot

I fired 6 rounds through my "silencer barrel for a function check... I need to put it on paper. Even Marshall was hinting around that HE might want another M58... The man is 78 and uses a walker. Carries a pair of 357 Smiths... He posted on fb a few months ago that two young men crossed the street to his side as his wife pulled the car into the drive way. He had her go into the house asap. He waited by the car... they decided to cross back to the other side of the street...

--

underrated and underappreciated

by bj @, Saturday, October 23, 2021, 22:08 (1063 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I think it's a good caliber and is underrated and underappreciated.

My basis for saying that is that some gun platforms seem to be pushed a bit too far by their chamberings. S&W N frame in .44mag might be happier in .41mag if you shoot it a lot with high power loads. Especially the 329 with Ti cylinder. Similarly the Freedom Arms 97 is available in .41mag but not .44mag. Now something like a Ruger Blackhawk- you don't gain anything. Those are happy with high power loads in .45Colt. The small frame Ruger Blackhawk is available in .357mag and .44 special, I wonder if it would be safe in .41mag.

.41mag is one of the most modern chamberings for revolvers, and as such I've always wondered if bore and throat diameters are more likely to be correct for that chambering. For .44special, .44mag and .45Colt bore and throat diameters can vary as if there were no standards developed throughout time as the calibers evolved. .41mag should have started with proper dimensions, unemcumbered by history.

underrated and underappreciated

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Monday, October 25, 2021, 21:04 (1061 days ago) @ bj

I have one of those FA Model 97s in .41 Mag. It's quite lively with full house loads, but extremely pleasant with 210 grain cast bullets at about 1000 fps. I've also owned an S&W 58, a couple of Ruger Bisleys and a Redhawk 5-inch in .41 and they were a bit more pleasant to shoot with full house loads than the Model 97. All in all, it's a great cartridge and probably would have been far more successful if there'd been a decent police type .41 Special load to feed to those Model 57s and 58s.

Congratulations! You snagged yourself a PPP for sure.

by E Sisk, Sunday, October 24, 2021, 05:25 (1062 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

You did good Rob. That's just about as perfect a combination as it gets 4", mat finish, fixed sights, JM? grips. I predict it will become one of your 'Favorites'. FYI, I reduced all the dimensions of the RCBS SAA 270 90.7% to .41 and Mountain Molds Cut a mold. It turned out to be a "Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner" cast bullet in my 5" FA97 & 4" Taurus Titanium Tracker.

Congratulations! You snagged yourself a PPP for sure.

by E Sisk, Sunday, October 24, 2021, 14:10 (1062 days ago) @ E Sisk

Reduced by 9.3% DOH!:-P

hah!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, October 24, 2021, 20:17 (1062 days ago) @ E Sisk

Thanks!:-)

--

Now all's you need...

by AaronB, Monday, October 25, 2021, 06:51 (1061 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by AaronB, Monday, October 25, 2021, 08:03

Now all's you need is a carbine to match.

I hear they're not all that common, but Marlin made 'em and Henry still does.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-henry-big-boy-steel-41-magnum/

:D

-AaronB

by Mike P @, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 09:31 (1060 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Nice -

I found and adopted a Single Seven in 327 Fed Mag. It hurt to have to buy new Starline Brass but I really do enjoy it now.

It looks like a good solid companion!

--
AKA zzr7ky

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, October 28, 2021, 08:04 (1058 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Nice looking 58 Rob, I bought mine in 1979, bought a 5 gallon bucket of nickel police range 41 brass from someone in Texas and had alot of fun. If I were you Rob I would not get rid of it. :-D

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Friday, October 29, 2021, 19:49 (1057 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

That was my First pistola. I really like that finish.

Passed so eighty bucks to Ron Peterson and I was the proud owner of a almost new S&W revolver.
New gun so I had to test it out, in those days it as wall the way down Central out past Cutter to the volcanos to shoot. Blew about 1/2 a box and so with a few rounds down range I was a "Pistolero"
The next week a friends dad saw it and offered his flat top 44 Mag and ammo for my S&W 58 and ammo.

Trade done and we were both happy. Me and that flat top rode many a mile of road together. IF I was on the road or out walking it was with me.
Unfortunately the high speed bug hit me and I ended up with Remington Rolling block in 219 Donaldson and he the 44 Mag.

Wish I had the Flat Top back.

RSS Feed of thread