Life choices and changes

by Mark Stevenson, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 17:07 (4490 days ago)

On March 12,2012 I had my last drink of alcohol.
With God's grace and strength it will be the last drink I have in my life.
I come from a long line of alcoholics on both sides.
I am an alcoholic.
I attended many Alateen meetings when I was that age.
I'm pretty well informed as to the perils and pitfalls of staying sober.
So far I haven't gone to AA, and unless I slip and (Heaven forbid) have another drink, I won't.

I have lots of support from my dad who had his last drink August 20, 1965. One of my best friends has been sober for nearly 20 years.

To say the least it has been a big change in my life style.
I'm losing weight, feeling great and very confident I have this aspect of my life finally under control.

Thank you Lord for giving me the strength to do what I knew had to be done.

Life choices and changes

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Saturday, June 16, 2012, 17:32 (4490 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

Mark you will be in my Prayers. God Bless.

Congratulations!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 17:36 (4490 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

Mark, I pray you always have the strength to stay your course. I have several friends who are alcoholics, and always try to provide any and all support I can to them. I have a drink or two, but when I have my friends over, I always ensure that the evening is accompanied by tasty non-alcoholic beverages, and honestly I have as good a time or better than I do when the evening involves alcohol. We all have to make our own way, and the choice is ours, I apluad you on being strong enough to choose yours, I wish my Cousin and best friend had been able to, he might still be making me laugh today.

Dave

Excellent! That's really good news.

by BCodd, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 18:06 (4490 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

Congratulations to you, and to your family, for being brave enough to take the first few steps along the path you have identified.

I'm sure you've got a great support network already, but count a bunch of us here in that group and it's larger than you might imagine.

Way to go!

Way to go! Full steam ahead!

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 18:14 (4490 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

We've been blessed to help a variety of folks combat a variety of addictions over the years. Seeing a life turned around and going right is well worth the effort and time expended. You've made a wise choice and with God's help you can stick with it.

Wonderful !! Congratulations ! One day at a time, and

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 19:33 (4490 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

prayer will be with you: All things are possible in Christ.

You Can Count On My Support....

by Brian A, Sunday, June 17, 2012, 06:45 (4490 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

While not an alcoholic, was a very heavy drinker for many years and have been sober for 25 years now. I have lost too many friends to alcoholism and do not want to lose any more.

Mark, you have whatever prayers and support I can give.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, June 17, 2012, 20:44 (4489 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

Keep up the good work!

Bravo!

by Mike P @, Monday, June 18, 2012, 06:17 (4489 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

And welcome aboard. Every blessing to you 7 yours : )

Thank You

by Mark Stevenson, Monday, June 18, 2012, 10:57 (4489 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

I'm thankful for the support from you fine folks.
I'm just glad I was able to decide it waas time to disasociate myself from a physical, financial and potentially even legal albatross.
Prayers have worked, I have the most firm and calm resolve that I will count this as something in my past.
My family and friends have done it, I will too.

God bless you, Mark

by Catoosa, Thursday, June 21, 2012, 20:32 (4485 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

It can be done, with strong will and God's help.

My uncle was my mentor in all the outdoor stuff like hunting and fishing. I can recall when I was a kid seeing a partial bottle of Jack Daniel's sitting on the mantel in their house, but never thought anything about it. Years later I learned that Uncle Jack had been a HEAVY drinker. One morning he woke up hung over and stiff from being passed out in a chair all night. He set the remains of the bottle up on the mantel and vowed never to touch it again. That bottle sat there for years, until it finally dried almost up. My aunt threw it away when they were packing to move to a new house.

Uncle Jack lived to 92. He and I caught lots of fish and had lots of good times.

RSS Feed of thread