Belly gun cogitations

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, September 07, 2021, 16:46 (960 days ago)

We've not had a belly gun discussion in a while. Shucks, things have been quite quiet lately. So I'll punt and see what happens. :-D

Lately on various forums I infest I've seen a lot of talk of cap and ball revolvers. I think a lot of it has to do with the current component shortage, but pistols and ammunition for the cap and ball addiction are also few and far between.

A while back a bird's head grip frame snub nosed resolver based on the 1860 platform showed up in some search I was doing. It "looked interesting" in a vague way, vague due to the lack of loading lever and thus lack of reloadability away from some kind of loading bench/press/apparatus. Then I saw Taffin mention Kirst Konversions and I looked them up, then did some more digging around. Turned up this particular video on the subject.

https://youtu.be/NH1RErnljEo

Digging around I learned that the Kirst cylinder requires a shorter over all length than the standard SAAMI Colt specs. Well, that's easily fixed by use of 45 Schofield or 45 Cowboy Special brass. If it weren't for the base price of the pistol PLUS the cost of the Konverter it'd be even more intriguing. A 255 gr or so flat nosed slug over a dose of appropriate powder would make for a very convincing packable swatter.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread