New (to me) Smith & Wesson 32-20

by Bob Hatfield @, Tuesday, August 10, 2021, 18:31 (988 days ago)

Couldn't pass it up. At a local pawn and gun store. Inside their curio cabinet was this M&P in 32-20. The bore cleaned up very good with just a little pitting and very strong rifling. I tried slugging it with a .314 Hornady lead soft SWC and it seemed like it was choke bored somewhat. As soon as the bullet cleared the barrel it got looser as it was pushed to the cylinder. It had a .310 groove at the muzzle. Is this normal? I checked and there does not seem to be any evidence of any swelled areas along the barrel that I have read is common from people shooting out squibs. It is in really good mechanical condition. I have already loaded up some standard shooting loads with Unique and 231 along with 100 gr. RNFPs and 115 gr. flat noses. Eager to test it out. The serial number is 130,3xx and from what I gather it was made somewhere either the end of the 1920's or the beginning of the 1930's if I am close.
Also I feel the grips are not correct . When did S &W start using the Magna style handles?
[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread