Got out to the gun club today...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, April 10, 2021, 14:33 (1106 days ago)

first time in a couple of months. We've been busy finishing up the house and then moving into it and there's been no time for shooting. One of the things that happened with this move is that we're now in slightly smaller quarters so procrastinated odd jobs (who, ME?) need taken care of in order to free up space. This includes turning that pile of scrap lumber into a reasonable facsimile of a shooting table and then hauling it off to the gun club for use in air benchrest. Yesterday I finally got the time and the round tuit and slapped the legs onto the top, reinforced them a bit, did a quick rattle can spray on the plywood and then attached a bit of rubber matting we had laying around. It ain't pretty, but it's out there and it works. What more could you ask for?

[image]

Since I was heading out there anyway I tossed in a couple of air rifles and the Crosman 2240 pistols, one with a 10" barrel fitted into a Crooked Barn breech with factory rear sight, a Benjamin Discovery front sight base with broken "firesight" or whatever they call 'em and the other 2240 is stock with the 7" barrel that comes on these pistols.

Shot the basket case FWB 300S a bit with different pellets. It grouped fairly decent with (inappropriate) 10.3 gr from JSB and did nicely with the 7.33 gr of the same manufacturer. The 7.87 gr JSB's didn't do quite as well as the other two.

The old Gamo CFX I rebuilt with a Jim Maccari spring and seal shot OK, but I really need to do something about the wobbly front sight. Not much I can do about the wobbly eyes on the shooter so will just have to settle for tightening up the front sight base and maybe sourcing a peep rear to see if that helps. Or just go back to using it with scope attached.

The stock 2240 shot well, one ragged hole at about 10 meters once I put the fresh CO2 cartridge in it. The first shots were underpowered as the CO2 was almost done for. I could hear it "burp" from the first shot but stubbornly ran a few more through. It grouped slightly high and quite a bit to the right, but a nice, round hole through the target and backer.

The 10" 2240 didn't shoot as well for me today. The sights really need fixed up (replaced) and maybe something else is going on. I only shot Crosman 14.3 gr pellets so maybe this barrel doesn't like those, I honestly can't remember WHAT it likes as it's been so long since I last shot it.

[image]

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread