Did some gun swappin’.....

by Otony, Tuesday, April 06, 2021, 12:14 (1113 days ago) @ Creeker

I am excited about it, that is certain. Not so much the .300 Winchester Magnum barre, although it could certainly be useful.

I did manage to find a 26” barrel in .30-06, and that will undoubtedly get used much more than the .300. But I’m fascinated at the opportunity to work up loads for a .270 with a 28” barrel. It may not turn Jack’s old favorite into a MAGNUM cartridge, but I am fairly sure it can’t hurt it either. That long a barrel should do well with the .270 and bring out the best of its capabilities.

All these barrels are pretty stout, much larger diameter than your typical hunting bolt action, which gives you some desired weight and should add stiffness for accuracy. The .270 in particular is both large in diameter and fluted to reduce weight a bit. I really have high hopes for it.

After all these years, you and the others here surely realize that I can be a bit compulsive when I’m chasing a project. I sold an air rifle (or three) recently and went ahead and bought a lighter weight barrel in .308 Winchester. It is 24” long and has iron sight. I’m going to put on a NOS Bausch & Lomb 4x Elite, which will make for a nice little stalking rifle. Once all four of these barrels are sighted in and have loads worked up, theoretically I should be able to mount anyone of them up to use for the immediate perceived task.

I’m strongly considering getting a custom 24” sporter weight barrel from EABCO in .30-30 to use with cast bullets. I have the correct peep sight for such an endeavor and think that would be loads of fun. If I get that, I will be set up for five of the most common calibers used in the United States, which just seems like an awfully good idea to me.

My wife is a professional seamstress, and I have prevailed upon her to start making barrel cases for me, canvas lined with fleece. Fitted to each barrel and scope, you should have seen the eye rolling THAT request resulted in, lol!

Otony

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread