2" snubby's, .38 or .357?

by Murphy @, Thursday, June 14, 2012, 22:07 (4492 days ago)

While I currently own both .38 and .357 J frames, I sometimes wonder how much am I truly gaining by carrying the .357 vs the .38?

While shot placement is understandably the key to everything, controllability is something I am more concerned about.

There is something about the original sized J frame Model 36 that calls out to me over my beefed up J frame Model 60 in .357.

How about some opinions friends, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Murphy

by Sarge, Thursday, June 14, 2012, 22:25 (4492 days ago) @ Murphy
edited by Hobie, Friday, June 15, 2012, 12:07

I can't comment the J's as I've not chronographed one, but my old 2 1/4" SP-101 would do 1300 fps, +/- 5, with either Federal or CCI/Blazer 125 grain magnums. That's pretty good mojo from a snub, in my opinion.

On the other hand, I've got an old Charter Undercover that'll cut a 50 foot bull at 25 yards (rested) with Winchester's 125 grain USA .38 JHP load. I think it does right at 900 out of that little gun.

I have found that, for me, the 3" S&W M13 (K frame) is about

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, June 15, 2012, 05:46 (4492 days ago) @ Murphy
edited by Hobie, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 09:11

the minimum bearable weight for shooting the 125 gr. Magnums. I perceive heavily loaded .44 Magnums in my 4" 629 to be more comfortable to shoot and easier to control than the .357s from the small J frame. I can't think that the 340 with those 125 gr. loads would be anything but highly unpleasant. I'd use it if it works but I doubt that I could be convinced to practice with it.

I do have a 642 and a Colt Cobra on which I've put Agent grips for pocket carry. I find them relatively easy to shoot well enough to work. I am not a police officer so my use is to possibly stop an attack and get the heck out not go into a situation as a police officer might have to do. That said, I now usually carry my Colt Officer's Lightweight ACP or even the Jovino 25-2. Both seem to me to be very much more controllable and even fun to shoot.

PS - I use the Remington +P in the 642, the Buffalo Bore 158 gr. LSWCHP or Nyclad in the Cobra or 642. I don't really see/feel a lot of difference.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Drago, Friday, June 15, 2012, 12:08 (4492 days ago) @ Murphy

I've shot .357 125gr JHP's from a 649. It wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis. I've always carried the 158gr LSWCHP +P's in my 2 inchers. I'd carry a .357 so I wouldn't stress a .38 with the +P's.

.38's are plenty

by RangerBob, Friday, June 15, 2012, 17:58 (4491 days ago) @ Murphy

A .357 out of a snubby is just plain nasty. Others will not agree, and I welcome their opinion. I can shoot them . . . and I have. But once the gun goes under about 25oz, my accuracy with .357's gets worse. A friend used to have a 2" SP101 that was very accurate (soda can at 50 yds accurate) and I could shoot it well. I also was not a real snubby (too heavy).

I find that wrapping the smallest possible gun around a cartridge is generally not a good idea.

A .357 snubby hits about like a 9mm service pistol. But anyone who thinks it's as effective is not being realistic. The large 9 is way more shootable.

I keep .38 +P's in my snubby and hope for the best.

FWIW . . . YMMV

Bob

Both the Treasury and FBI .38 Special loads..........

by Byron, Friday, June 15, 2012, 19:12 (4491 days ago) @ Murphy

Have a fairly proven track record of success in actual shootings....probably about as good as most out there...

Surely good enought for a pocket pistol...

Still it seems that actual shootings seem to turn out better with multiple hits on target and while more powerful...the three five seven is a handful in the little revolvers...at least I hear...never shot full power 357 in a J frame...

Personally, I carry the FBI load in my Smith Bodyguard....

Byron

Mine's an SP101

by BCodd, Still in Cinci, Friday, June 15, 2012, 22:00 (4491 days ago) @ Murphy

and I tend to never shoot .38s in it. I've got other, bigger, smoother guns that work better for teaching and training, and for my own purpose, the revolver has been mainly used outdoors in the west, in big animal country.

I haven't had any problems with full power loads, but honestly, I don't have three rounds in the air at a time, either.

Even twenty-ish years later, I'm still not sure what to think of this gun... it's sort of between sizes and purposes, without the easy packing of a lightweight, and minus the better action, sights, and shootability of a snubby M66. Still, it was the gun I chose to pack last year in the Boundary Waters, and after it picked up a few nicks and bruises, I stoned the high points and called it good, without losing any sleep.

.38 +P's, 158 lead - new 135 'short bbl load' from Fed?...

by John Meeker @, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 07:49 (4491 days ago) @ Murphy

....has been recommended by a Texas CCW instructor friend of mine.

Snub hannerless Smith's, me.

I like the airwieght 37, 442 642 etc above all others

by Simply Rugged, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 09:51 (4491 days ago) @ Murphy

my airwieght taurus .45Colt has been with me this trip, but I regret not have slipped a J frame in the gear they are a tad bit handier and more comfortable in a pocket holster while driving...

by brerarnold, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 11:23 (4491 days ago) @ Murphy

I carry an old .38 Bodyguard (Model 38 IIRC.) Being old, I am careful about the ammo I put in it. I don't use +Ps. Tim Sundles put together a nice .38 round that is within pressure specs but which in his estimation is superior to the typical .38 round. Tim knows what he's up to. So that's what I carry.

I have not shot .357 in a snubby. I have a friend who carries one; not sure of the model other than it's a S&W. The .38s are a handful in that Airweight Bodyguard, so I am pretty sure that I would not want to go with .357s in a similar package. I can see the sense in running .38 +Ps in a .357.

Like so.......

by Byron, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 12:38 (4491 days ago) @ brerarnold

[image]

Byron

I have a pre-38 Bodyguard and a 49 but keep pulling

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 12:45 (4491 days ago) @ brerarnold

the 642 out first. Maybe because there's one less hole to suck in lint and maybe because I don't like it quite as much. If I ever have to use it I know it will go into the evidence locker for an indeterminate period.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

The Snubby Revolver by Ed Lovette

by Jeff Taylor @, Tampa FL, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 14:57 (4490 days ago) @ Murphy

I highly recommend all to readi "The Snubby Revolver" by Ed Lovette. It's about $18 from Amazon if I remember correctly.

I'll second that.

by FOG, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 17:16 (4490 days ago) @ Jeff Taylor

Excellent book.

--
[image]

Wow!

by FOG, Saturday, June 16, 2012, 20:05 (4490 days ago) @ Byron

That's one nice Airweight you have there.

--
[image]

by woody, Sunday, June 17, 2012, 08:45 (4490 days ago) @ Murphy

I have a S&W model 60 in 357. I carry most heavy 38's like the FBI load or Speer short barrel 135gr mags. Both are comfortable for me to shoot. Just for the heck of it I have shot most 357 loads out of mine for the punishment. Even a 180 gr hunting load. Wow they are bad

One of the major benefits of the 357 snubby over a 38 is 38's will cleanly eject out of a 357 mag snubby. At least mine does. Not that you need a quick reload for a gun of this purpose but you may.

I love my model 60. It has been a constant companion of mine since I got it in 95'. Can't say that about some of my other more appropriate power wise carry guns that are home 99% of the time. Shot everything from woodchucks,skunks,fox to deer with it because I always have it on me.

Yep, Ed's book is wekll done! Very frustrating RE CIA

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, June 17, 2012, 14:36 (4489 days ago) @ Jeff Taylor

station chief that knew better but went about Lebanon unarmed... I'm sure he had plenty of time to regret that decision while they torture & slowly murdered him.
Get trained Go Armed!

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread