Upcoming server shift

by webservant @, Thursday, November 26, 2020, 07:47 (1395 days ago)

Hey guys,

The company we've been hosting with is asking far too much to provide us with SSL certificates to improve the security and usability of the site. So sometime over the next month I plan to move to a completely different server structure. It is with a bit of trepidation as I'm not sure what all is going to happen, but will do my best to ensure we have as smooth of a transition as possible. To the best of my knowledge things will remain the same from the user/visitor standpoint, it's mostly a backend thing.

While we're on the subject of the forum, I'm also contemplating locking down the posting to registered users only in order to cut down on the amount of spam/etc that the moderators have to deal with. Very interested in your opinion on the matter as this IS a user owned forum and I know how much we all hate "change for change's sake".

I have no isues with restrictions.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, November 26, 2020, 08:26 (1395 days ago) @ webservant

I guess I didn't know we had a spam problem. You guys must be doing a good job.

Somehow Groucho also comes to mind; "I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER." :-D

Upcoming server shift

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, November 26, 2020, 08:37 (1395 days ago) @ webservant

Sounds fine with me. Thanks for all your work in support of the forum.

In this day and age it is not very smart

by SIXGUNNER, Thursday, November 26, 2020, 10:15 (1394 days ago) @ webservant

To leave doors open and unlocked. Anyone can come in including riffraff and troublemakers. Always lock the door.

Where do I put my X?

by Murphy @, Thursday, November 26, 2020, 11:58 (1394 days ago) @ webservant

I've been onboard with this crew so long, I honestly can't remember when it all started. When I boot up to get online this is my first stop and has been for many years now.

Spam? On this site? I honestly don't recall ever seeing any. Great job!

Murphy

There's several of us keeping an eye out for spam.

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Thursday, November 26, 2020, 15:31 (1394 days ago) @ Murphy

And a lot of the 'code words' spammers used are blocked from being used.

--
Esse sine metu in facie inimici tui. Sit fortis et rectus quod Deus ut amo te. Veritatem dico semper etiam si eam ducit ad mortem tuam. Tuendam inops et facere no mali.

There's several of us keeping an eye out for spam.

by Murphy @, Friday, November 27, 2020, 09:44 (1394 days ago) @ Miles

Thank you for a job well done. While I visit numerous other gun related sites, there is always a ton of spam that always seems to come with them.

Murphy

yOUR GUESS IS BETER THAN mINE! (Thanks)

by Mike P @, Friday, November 27, 2020, 13:08 (1393 days ago) @ webservant

--
AKA zzr7ky

by Dennis Eugene @, Prince of Wales Island Alaska, Friday, November 27, 2020, 13:52 (1393 days ago) @ Mike P

Here's hoping I can maneuver the move and not get left behind. As has almost happened on the last two or three moves/updates or whatnots.

by Paul ⌂, Friday, November 27, 2020, 13:55 (1393 days ago) @ Dennis Eugene

We're going to try and pick this up and set it on the new server when the time comes. We'll see how it goes. Yeah, I'm nervous about it, have several domains to move.

Upcoming server shift

by jgt, Saturday, November 28, 2020, 06:09 (1393 days ago) @ webservant

You and crew have done a super job. Thank you all for the work you put into this site.

Okey dokey!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, November 28, 2020, 07:21 (1393 days ago) @ webservant

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Scott Tschirhart, Saturday, November 28, 2020, 13:32 (1392 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

I cannot disagree with this.

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, November 28, 2020, 16:20 (1392 days ago) @ Scott Tschirhart

It's good to "see" you, Scott.

RSS Feed of thread