Without ShotShow reports from Gunblast.....

by Otony, Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 20:38 (2062 days ago)

......where are some other places you fellows getting information about new toys?

Otony

Down Range TV nm

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 23:31 (2061 days ago) @ Otony

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN .

by SIXGUNNER, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 08:56 (2061 days ago) @ Otony

THERE IS NOT MUCH WORTH SEEING.

Agreed!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 16:14 (2061 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

A handful of basic mods to mostly popular guns that the true believers will buy. I’m sure I’ve missed an interesting thing or two, but nothing new really interesting that I’ve seen.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Amen! Looked like all Tactical!

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 20:54 (2061 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

Nm

Without ShotShow reports from Gunblast.....

by TL in OR, Central Oregon, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 21:01 (2061 days ago) @ Otony

Tony, there's quite a bit of info on www.thefirearmblog dot com. I spent most of the week roaming the aisles at SHOT, but find it increasingly difficult to find things that interest me personally. Have to stay on top of things for the shop, but what I like and what sells isn't always the same.

Although pricey, I was intrigued by the new Martini rifles being made here in Oregon - sounds like other calibers and custom orders are possible, and they indicated that they'll probably offer just the action for those that want to do their own thing. Also very impressed by the Standard Mfg. single-actions - they appear to rival if not surpass the USFA's in execution. Colt SAA's will still be in very short supply according to someone at the Colt booth.

Friday afternoon I took some time to walk through the antique arms show which happened to overlap SHOT - now we're talking. Steel and walnut in abundance with very little polymer and nary a picatinny rail to be seen. Tables full of the stuff they don't make anymore, engravers and their work, some custom 'smiths - John Powers of Powers Metal Works was there and had a nice chat with him. A display from one of the big auction houses with a sampling of items from an upcoming auction - like going through a museum. Average age of the show-goer (and exhibitors) seemed much higher here than at SHOT. Not sure what that means for 20yrs down the road.

Had a good time, but was glad to exit Las Vegas and get back home.

Tom

Thank you, Tom

by Otony, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 23:19 (2060 days ago) @ TL in OR

Long time since we last saw one another, JT's banquet to be exact.

I have been following TFB for a day or two now. I have to agree, plenty of stuff that I have little interest in, but I have to stay current for my customers here in the shop, just like you.

If it were all lever actions, single actions, and single shots, I'd be in hog heaven, but the black rifles and pistols are still the big sellers, along with the 6.5 Creedmoor and whatever slays elk at 800 yards.

Got a very substantial raise this year, partly because I've earned it, and partly because the local Sportsmans Warehouse tried to hire me away from the shop. They opened up here a year ago, and are in desperate need of an infusion of customer service skills and firearms knowledge. The store manager and the gun department manager actually had the gall to come into the shop to offer me more money after I turned them down! As my kids would say....inappropriate!

I've committed to a few more years with the store, so it would be a disservice to not be aware of what's "new" and "hot", but you know that better than I.

A local fellow who has a talent for finding USFA revolvers at bargain prices has ordered a Standard single action. I'm VERY curious to see it, and now you've deepened that curiosity. Any idea if there will be other calibers offered in the future? Bisleys or Flattops? Sure would be nice if they made up some Bisley hammers for standard frames. I missed getting one of those, and my Flattop Target is languishing as a result.

Supposedly I'm attending Shot Show next year, the last time was so long ago I'm embarrassed to say exactly when. If I make it I will give you a heads up so we can share a few minutes.

Take care,

Otony

Standard SAA's

by TL in OR, Central Oregon, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 23:47 (2060 days ago) @ Otony

Tony, I spoke briefly with Louis Frutuoso of Std Mfg, and he indicated that they were preparing to make some black powder style frames in .44-40. I didn't have the opportunity to question him in depth, but I would hope to see other options as time goes on. He gave me contact info of the man who heads up their SA production, but I have yet to follow up with more detailed questions. When your friend gets his revolver, I would be interested in hearing your assessment. I picked up a few USFA's when they were still in production, but I regret not placing a special order for a FT with a bisley hammer that I was contemplating at the time. Perhaps I'll have another chance at some point with Standard, but I wager it'll be twice the price or more than what I could've gotten it for back in "the good old days"!

RSS Feed of thread