Star luber/sizer

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, January 27, 2019, 18:34 (2064 days ago)

I just picked up a Star/Magma Luber/Sizer on a good deal. Any good tips for a newbie to the system? I’ll need to get a .45 sizing die. For it but came with .356 and .358. It also came with the air setup and what appears to be a bullet feeder

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Star luber/sizer

by Mark, Monday, January 28, 2019, 05:55 (2063 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I have a Star and love it. I would have stopped casting years ago if it were not for the Star. I use a heater. It seems to be what works best for me. I use White Label Red lube which requires heat but other lubes just move more smooth with heat. Of course, I live in the Northeast and usually size bullets in the colder months.
The Magma website has good videos http://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/ .
As for a die, I have no complaints about the Star dies but you can get the same quality cheaper. Look over at this site http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?62874-Lathesmith-s-Star-dies for a guy named Lathesmith. I just got a .501 die from him last week. Keep in mind that when you order Star dies, the seller will want to know the lube spacing separation of the bullet that you are sizing. This is just the distance between the lube grooves. If you talk to Lathesmith, ask about the standard lube spacing (which I believe is three rows at .125 inches apart). You can always plug the holes that you do not use.
Consider sizing bullets nose first. It is my opinion that it is much easier.
If you have never used a Star sizer, be patient. It takes some time to set up but it is fast when set up right.
Mark

Star luber/sizer

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, January 28, 2019, 07:03 (2063 days ago) @ Mark

Good comments from Mark. I use same lube, with heater, and Lathesmith for my dies. I'll add one hint - if the sizing sees hard, run a lubed bullet thru the die every now and then, it lubes the die surfaces and makes sizing easier. Sizing nose first makes it simple for base/nose punches.

Star luber/sizer

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, January 28, 2019, 17:38 (2063 days ago) @ Cherokee

Thanks, guys. I have seen the tip on putting a lubed bullet through every few bullets.
Do either of you have Lathesmith’s email? I know I’ve got a login over at the cast bullets site, but I have no idea what it is! I’d like to get a .452 die.

It does have a heater as well, I forgot to mention that.

--

Star luber/sizer

by Mark, Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 05:53 (2062 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Sorry, I do not have his email. I dealt with him through PM at castboolits forum.

Star luber/sizer

by uncowboy, Monday, January 28, 2019, 07:07 (2063 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Creker has the most knowledge on the Star than anyone I know . He has his running wit the bullet feed as well I would direct any questions his way.

Star luber/sizer

by John K., Monday, January 28, 2019, 07:58 (2063 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Having used and rebuilt several over the years, I will throw out a few rambling comments.

The Star is a great sizer, elegantly designed - no larger or stronger than it needs to be for its job. That is also its weakness, more later.

Get a heater - some lubes are impossible without one, other lubes are at least helped.

Since it is a push through, it doesn't work like a Saeco, for instance. The primary lube pressure is only to feed the piston that actually pumps the lube to the die and bullet at the very end of the stroke. Had one where the piston/casting interface was worn so bad the lube pumped out the back. Reamed the casting and made an oversize piston to solve.

Plug unwanted die lube holes with birdshot. Since the holes are counterbored, press the shot into the hole with a pair of pliers. The soft shot is easily removed with a proper sized drill spun by your fingers.

Like the others, size nose first. That means flat based punches which simplifies things.

Back to the weakness. If you are sizing, say, relatively soft 230gr RN 45acp bullets, the Star will be perfectly happy. However, if you are sizing 20+bhn hardcast 350gr 45 slugs.... you will likely at least bend the handle. It wasn't designed or intended for that amount of force. All three of mine had bent/missing handles and sheared fasteners. Have seen many pictures of Star sizers with screwdrivers for replacement handles - keep in mind that just transfers the force to the next weakest link. After rebuilding, I proceeded to stick a few hardcast slugs. (Remove the die and drill out the center of the bullet to give it room to collapse, then you can reinstall the die and push it out) As has been mentioned, if sizing is requiring a lot of force, at least run a pre-sized and lubed bullet through every few cycles to keep the die lubed. It helps a lot.

Ended up buying a Ballisticast. It is essentially a Star, uses the same dies, but everything is at least twice the size and mass. Had them side by side on the bench for a long time; if a bullet stuck in the Star, it was a simple matter to transfer the die to the Ballisticast and easily push it out. The Ballisticast is a *lot* bigger, which might be an issue for some. It really for heavy or hard sizing.

Neither the Star or the Ballisticast are suited for installing gaschecks, but it can be done manually before sizing. I usually use my Saeco to set the GCs and then size in the Ballisticast.

Now that the super hardcast craze has subsided, the Star will likely not see as much abuse and can go back to cranking out sized and lubed bullets like popcorn.

John K.

Ballisticast sizer.

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:14 (2063 days ago) @ John K.

I'm still looking for a heater pad to use under mine like you did.
I tried an aluminum plate, 1/2"x6x8"with a flat iron on top and a thermostat off a piece of analog test equipment.. That would get out of control in a hurry and took forever to stabilize.
PID temperature control is also a must.
At this point, that's the only thing that's "wrong" with mine.
I've noticed on mine with large/longer bullets that one stroke of the lube pump wasn't enough to fill the lube grooves.
Easy enough solution to give the pump another partial stroke at the bottom to fill.

No need for a PID controller.

by John K., Monday, January 28, 2019, 17:35 (2063 days ago) @ MS

In fact, I used the same on my ballisticast.

It was a 110Vac pad heater for an embossing machine for marking condom cartons. When we switched from embossing to inkjets, there were quite a few of the heaters to be discarded. Think I gave one to Farmer Ed. If you still have the aluminum plate, all you need is the heater; I'm pretty sure I still have some left - will send you one.

Thanks John, I would appreciate that

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 08:49 (2062 days ago) @ John K.

I'll send you a message with more info.
If you can break free for CSA, we'll be there.

Star luber/sizer

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, January 28, 2019, 17:44 (2063 days ago) @ John K.

John, thanks for all the good advice. I forgot to mention that it does have a heater with it and also has the shovel handle. The heater is definitely a plus, because my ‘gun room’ is in a mostly unheated room, so this time of year, even the soft home made lube in my Lyman 450 is a bit stiff!

Most of my cast shooting is softer stuff these days. I e got a pretty decent supply of .32 pistol bullets to keep me busy. I’d like to get a .452 die as most of my as cast bullets are 200 gr swc ‘s. I also got a six cavity 124 gr 9mm mold and a 20 pound bottom pour Lee pot, so maybe I’ll cast some fo them up to use the star as it is.

--

Sounds like you're in business, Doug.

by John K., Monday, January 28, 2019, 17:59 (2063 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Only thing left is learning to set the bullet punch to position the bullet grooves even with the die holes before the lube shot. Trial and error at first, but measure it and write it down and it goes quick the next time.

Sounds like you're in business, Doug.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, January 28, 2019, 18:10 (2063 days ago) @ John K.

From the look of it, it doesn’t seem too much tougher than setting the level on the old Lyman.

--

Star luber/sizer Dies-email

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, January 28, 2019, 21:09 (2063 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Chris Smith aka Lathesmith redgreen@cooldude.com

Star luber/sizer Dies-email

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 04:13 (2062 days ago) @ Cherokee

Star luber/sizer

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 13:55 (2061 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Congrats. Good info at Magma's site on setting the punch. As much as possible allow the pressure to do the work & no more heat than needed for the lube. Most have covered what you need to know.

Here's a couple of videos I've made. Maybe they will help.

https://youtu.be/3mvgdYC_mzg

https://www.facebook.com/575376242613174/videos/587281721422626/

https://www.facebook.com/575376242613174/videos/581695125314619/

Lynn, do you pre-load those tubes off the machine?

by John K., Thursday, January 31, 2019, 20:06 (2060 days ago) @ Creeker

Good vids also

Lynn, do you pre-load those tubes off the machine?

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Thursday, January 31, 2019, 20:24 (2060 days ago) @ John K.

Yes. At my age once a couple tubes are sized I'm ready for a break. The tubes have pins which keep the bullets from passing through. I lean the tube against the bench, take a handfull of bullets & drop them in. Every 10 to 20 bullets I drop a sized & lubed one in.

Good method.

by John K., Thursday, January 31, 2019, 20:46 (2060 days ago) @ Creeker

Yes. At my age once a couple tubes are sized I'm ready for a break. The tubes have pins which keep the bullets from passing through. I lean the tube against the bench, take a handfull of bullets & drop them in. Every 10 to 20 bullets I drop a sized & lubed one in.

Star luber/sizer

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, February 01, 2019, 17:47 (2059 days ago) @ Creeker

Thanks, Lynn. I finally had a chance to watch the videos. I appreciate them!

--

Star luber/sizer

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Friday, February 01, 2019, 18:06 (2059 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Hope it helps somehow.

RSS Feed of thread