Shotgun question....

by rob @, Wednesday, January 09, 2019, 12:51 (2082 days ago)

I picked up a Mossberg 590A1 with a 20" barrel and XS sights. I plan on sighting it in this weekend if I can find time. I'm sure I'll be keeping it loaded 90% of the time with buckshot but I'd still like to be able to shoot slugs out it. I know people use bead sights and buckshot and slugs interchangeably and I had an old 870 years ago that slugs hit right on at 100 yards just using the bead. Is it reasonable to think they'll hit pretty close, and if so, does it make more sense to sight it in for slugs at 100 yards and then the buckshot will be pretty much on from 0-30 yards or should I just sight it in for buckshot and be done with it? It's been a long time since I've messed with shotguns other than firing buckshot out 18" 870 pump guns for security work and qualification.

Shotgun question....

by uncowboy, Wednesday, January 09, 2019, 15:07 (2082 days ago) @ rob

OK your wanting your gun to do two different operations . Smarter people than us figured out how to do this. Slugs shoot the best from an open choke. That's a fact . There are exceptions to every rule but most guns this is true. So start with an open choke and sight your slugs in. Then purchase reduced recoil buck shot made for LE . Speer and Remington are both available . Lower velocity yes but the buckshot does not deform leaving the bbl fly straighter without the flat spots we have all seen on Mag buckshot and the round projectile actually penetrates better. So that is the teck answer to your question form someone that lives in a shotgun only state and has mega hours researching this same problem. J.Michael

Shotgun question....

by rob @, Wednesday, January 09, 2019, 19:09 (2082 days ago) @ uncowboy

Sounds like sound advice. It's a cylinder bore shotgun so it should do fine with slugs.

I disagree on the open choke with slugs.

by cas, Wednesday, January 09, 2019, 20:00 (2082 days ago) @ rob

My experience with a LOT of slug guns is... it depends. I have guns that shoot great with very tight chokes. Others that don't. And vice versa for "bigger chokes". One shoots well right in the middle choke wise.

I have guns that I shoot all 3 in (slugs, buck, birdshot). The one's that have adjustable sights, I sight them in with slugs about 50 yards, shot and buck do just fine with that arrangement.

The type of slug matters as well. I have had consistent

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, January 09, 2019, 21:21 (2081 days ago) @ uncowboy

good results with Brenneke slugs.

Just how do you intend to "sight in" a gun with a bead front sight? Change the size of the bead?

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

It has XS ghost ring sights as well as...

by rob @, Thursday, January 10, 2019, 07:16 (2081 days ago) @ Hobie

A picatinny rail if I decide to put an optic on it...I don't see myself doing that but it's an option.

That makes it a whole different question...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, January 10, 2019, 20:16 (2081 days ago) @ rob

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

The type of slug matters as well. I have had consistent

by Catoosa, Thursday, January 10, 2019, 11:03 (2081 days ago) @ Hobie

+1 on the Brenneke slugs. I have a sawed-off (no choke at all) 19" 870 barrel that will stay on a gallon milk jug at 50 yards with just a bead. Not a match winner but plenty good for most slug gun duty. Foster type slugs don't do nearly as well.

Shotgun question....

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, January 10, 2019, 06:57 (2081 days ago) @ rob

If it were me, I’d sight it in for slugs at a closer range, say 50 yards, but we hunt pretty thick cover. Then, I’d see how it patterns with a few different buckshot varieties. I tested out a TAC-14 Remington with an ‘arm brace’ a few months back. It shot about 12” patterns with the Winchester ‘military’ OOBuck. When I switched over to Federal Flight Control, it shrunk down to a few inch diameter pattern. This was at 15 yards, which is about the longest shot I’ll have in my home. I hope you get lucky as far as having buck and ball hitting the same spot.

[image]

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Shotgun question....

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, January 12, 2019, 06:43 (2079 days ago) @ rob

I'd sight it in for slugs and compensate using Kentucky windage with the buckshot. I recently got the itch to shoot slugs after watching Hickock 45 shoot them like a rifle out of a Mossberg 590, Maverick 88 and a few others. So I bought a slug barrel from Ebay for my Mossberg 500 and the Magpul buttstock and a rubber forearm.

I will sight it in with the basic foster slugs from Winchester and Remington. I have gathered up Lee 7/8ths oz. and 1 oz. molds along with hulls and a variety of wads to experiment with loads that travel slower than the brutal factory slugs. Hoping to match the accuracy. It is a great experiment to find the right load for those drive key slugs from LEE.

As far as chokes go it a crap shoot. I once had an 870 with a 30 inch full choke that would place a foster slug in a pie plate at 100 yards just by putting the bead on the center of the plate and firing. I traded up a slug barrel with sights thinking it would do better and be easier to hunt with but It was a splatter match event at 50 yards compared to the full choke barrel. Seems I've seen tests where Imp Cyl is the best.

Bob

I got the bug from...

by rob @, Saturday, January 12, 2019, 22:06 (2078 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Watching Hickok45 as well. Reading The Family Survival Gun (Kindle) poured some fuel on the fire as well...great book! I'm thinking about buying a Lee Load All 2 (or Two...or II?) or a Mec. I want to load slugs and buck/birdshot loads but I'm not sure if bags of magnum shot is economical enough to make it worth it with the cost of lead these days....though I haven't priced it in quite some time. I know copper plated BBs are dirt cheap and can make a good makeshift CHTF load for hard times:) I'm gonna enjoy this journey though.

RSS Feed of thread