November 30, earthquake casualty

by cable, Sunday, January 06, 2019, 22:23 (2085 days ago)

earthquake threw a bunch of my guns out of the racks...several dings and scratches but one of my favorites got hurt big time.....

model 1894 iin 38/55 made in 1895

[image]

here it is with its sister above, a 25/35 also made in 1895

[image]

hopefully i can find someone to put humpty dumpty back together again

[ it's telling me that it wants to go caribou hunting at least once more ]

That's sad.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, January 07, 2019, 07:48 (2084 days ago) @ cable

There are folks who'll put that to right like it never happened. I've seen some incredible work from The Stock Doctor, Dennis E. Smith---I think? Yep, checked. Here => http://www.thestockdr.com/contact.php

thanks ! i will check with them

by cable, Monday, January 07, 2019, 08:58 (2084 days ago) @ Hoot

nt

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, January 07, 2019, 10:41 (2084 days ago) @ cable

Doug T could fix it up I'm sure.

Ouch!

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Monday, January 07, 2019, 13:22 (2084 days ago) @ cable

There appears to be a fair amount of oil contamination to the stock in the break area.
I could be wrong, but that might be a contributing factor to it's breaking there.

The good wood fixers will be able to draw a lot of that out.

A beautiful rifle right there! Liquid Nails and Duct Tape!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, January 07, 2019, 15:05 (2084 days ago) @ cable

Alaskan way...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Owwie!

by Bri A, Monday, January 07, 2019, 18:29 (2084 days ago) @ cable

As Mark stated, the dark staining in the wrist is indicative of gun oils permeating into the wood, which is not terribly good for the structural integrity there. Several methods can be used to draw some of that out, but if the honorable Meeker-san chimes in, he will know what is the best for that. Until that excess oil is drawn out it will be difficult to get any stickum to hold it back together with any sort of permanency. There are several recognized artists at stock repair who can make it almost impossible to ever find where it broke after they practice their dark arts on it. The best are not cheap, but for such a rarefied piece the cost may be worth it. As sad as it is, if that is the worst of the damage from that quake, it looks like you got off fairly easy. Might be worth looking into some sort of retainer for the racks to prevent such damage from occurring again in the future though. :)

yes some kind of retainer is a must

by cable, Thursday, January 10, 2019, 23:42 (2081 days ago) @ Bri A

:-|

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Friday, January 11, 2019, 12:58 (2080 days ago) @ cable

That brings pain to my core just so see that damage.
Though most have gone to twine or plastic wrap, there is nothing that baling wire can not fix.
Baling wire will also work as the retainer mentioned previously.

Surely you can find someone to restore that fine shooting iron to most of its previous glory for more than just one more caribou hunt!

RSS Feed of thread