.41 Magnum loads

by E Sisk, Monday, December 31, 2018, 18:36 (2091 days ago)

While loading up a few hundred .41 Mag. cast loads this weekend, I ran across a full box of Sierra 170 gr. JHP. bullets. When I pulled out my Ken Waters Pet loads, he listed 16gr. Blue Dot as the most accurate 170gr. load (a little warm from my notes). I know Paco Kelly has written that Blue Dot is the Champagne of powders for the .41. I also know about the Alliant ban on Blue Dot in the .41. I burned quite a bit of the old BD back before the change. I'm not sure if the BD I have now is pre or post change. Is there any current BD data out there? Have not found any if there is. Anyone still using BD in a .41? I am loading for a 5 shot FA97 so I don't think strength is an issue. There is some anecdotal evidence that the difference came about do to a switch from cotton to wood fiber for production of nitrocellulose, but considering the source(net) the application of sodium chloride may be neccessary. Considering just backing off a full grain to 15gr BD, loading 5 rounds and trying them out. Alternatively any one have a favorite 170 gr. Sierra load?

.41 Magnum loads - glad you asked not that I can help

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, December 31, 2018, 19:45 (2091 days ago) @ E Sisk

but I would also be interested in any answers. I would not be shooting a 97 but rather a OM Blackhawk.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

.41 Magnum loads

by SIXGUNNER, Tuesday, January 01, 2019, 00:36 (2090 days ago) @ E Sisk

CALL ALLIANT

.41 Magnum loads

by E Sisk, Tuesday, January 01, 2019, 14:44 (2090 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

OK. I will post there response.

.41 Magnum loads

by uncowboy, Wednesday, January 02, 2019, 13:55 (2089 days ago) @ E Sisk

I know I don't have to say this but the crimp is very important to accuracy. What you think is good and a bit more. J.Michael

Alliant .41 Magnum loads

by E Sisk, Wednesday, January 02, 2019, 18:17 (2089 days ago) @ E Sisk

Official position per conversation with Alliant this afternoon is: No Blue Dot in the .41 Magnum under any circumstances. I could tell he was reading the official legal life and property damage statement. Guess I will be loading up the 170's with Universal 10 gr. should get me close to 1400 fps.

.41 Magnum loads

by E Sisk, Wednesday, January 02, 2019, 18:38 (2089 days ago) @ uncowboy

Yes, I have known about a good crimp for a goodly while. Back when I was shooting a lot of IPSC/USPSA I attended a regional match in Dinosaur Tracks, Texas (New Braunfels). Part of the check in was submit a random sample of my match ammo to be checked for power factor. I was shooting Major 45 acp 200 gr. SWC 5.0 Solo 1000. Velocity was fine, when he pulled a bullet for weight, with a kinetic puller, he wacked the puller, wacked the puller again, wacked the puller a third time, made a comment about the crimp. Bullet pulled on the fourth hit, I just said that's how Taffin taught me do it.

.41 Magnum loads

by uncowboy, Thursday, January 03, 2019, 10:43 (2088 days ago) @ E Sisk

I tried lighter crimp with my heavy 41 mags in an attempt to extend brass life , SEE HOW SMART I AM? Saw accuracy go to hell. Took un shot rds tightened the crimp as they should have been goop sized shrunk to tiny holes.

Alliant .41 Magnum loads

by Jhenry, Friday, January 04, 2019, 19:57 (2087 days ago) @ E Sisk

My favorite .41 mg powder is H110. It meters well, burns clean and I get very good velocity and accuracy.

RSS Feed of thread