.41 Magnum loads

by E Sisk, Monday, December 31, 2018, 18:36 (2091 days ago)

While loading up a few hundred .41 Mag. cast loads this weekend, I ran across a full box of Sierra 170 gr. JHP. bullets. When I pulled out my Ken Waters Pet loads, he listed 16gr. Blue Dot as the most accurate 170gr. load (a little warm from my notes). I know Paco Kelly has written that Blue Dot is the Champagne of powders for the .41. I also know about the Alliant ban on Blue Dot in the .41. I burned quite a bit of the old BD back before the change. I'm not sure if the BD I have now is pre or post change. Is there any current BD data out there? Have not found any if there is. Anyone still using BD in a .41? I am loading for a 5 shot FA97 so I don't think strength is an issue. There is some anecdotal evidence that the difference came about do to a switch from cotton to wood fiber for production of nitrocellulose, but considering the source(net) the application of sodium chloride may be neccessary. Considering just backing off a full grain to 15gr BD, loading 5 rounds and trying them out. Alternatively any one have a favorite 170 gr. Sierra load?

.41 Magnum loads - glad you asked not that I can help

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, December 31, 2018, 19:45 (2091 days ago) @ E Sisk

but I would also be interested in any answers. I would not be shooting a 97 but rather a OM Blackhawk.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

.41 Magnum loads

by SIXGUNNER, Tuesday, January 01, 2019, 00:36 (2091 days ago) @ E Sisk

CALL ALLIANT

.41 Magnum loads

by E Sisk, Tuesday, January 01, 2019, 14:44 (2090 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

OK. I will post there response.

.41 Magnum loads

by uncowboy, Wednesday, January 02, 2019, 13:55 (2089 days ago) @ E Sisk

I know I don't have to say this but the crimp is very important to accuracy. What you think is good and a bit more. J.Michael

.41 Magnum loads

by E Sisk, Wednesday, January 02, 2019, 18:38 (2089 days ago) @ uncowboy

Yes, I have known about a good crimp for a goodly while. Back when I was shooting a lot of IPSC/USPSA I attended a regional match in Dinosaur Tracks, Texas (New Braunfels). Part of the check in was submit a random sample of my match ammo to be checked for power factor. I was shooting Major 45 acp 200 gr. SWC 5.0 Solo 1000. Velocity was fine, when he pulled a bullet for weight, with a kinetic puller, he wacked the puller, wacked the puller again, wacked the puller a third time, made a comment about the crimp. Bullet pulled on the fourth hit, I just said that's how Taffin taught me do it.

.41 Magnum loads

by uncowboy, Thursday, January 03, 2019, 10:43 (2088 days ago) @ E Sisk

I tried lighter crimp with my heavy 41 mags in an attempt to extend brass life , SEE HOW SMART I AM? Saw accuracy go to hell. Took un shot rds tightened the crimp as they should have been goop sized shrunk to tiny holes.

Alliant .41 Magnum loads

by E Sisk, Wednesday, January 02, 2019, 18:17 (2089 days ago) @ E Sisk

Official position per conversation with Alliant this afternoon is: No Blue Dot in the .41 Magnum under any circumstances. I could tell he was reading the official legal life and property damage statement. Guess I will be loading up the 170's with Universal 10 gr. should get me close to 1400 fps.

Alliant .41 Magnum loads

by Jhenry, Friday, January 04, 2019, 19:57 (2087 days ago) @ E Sisk

My favorite .41 mg powder is H110. It meters well, burns clean and I get very good velocity and accuracy.

RSS Feed of thread