Guns and leather

by Norm, Monday, November 05, 2018, 20:33 (2147 days ago)

More and more I'm seeing younger people sell their fathers' gun/knife collections without hesitation much less remorse. I was in my friend/buddy/pal's store Saturday and a young man sells 7 or 8 S&W "K" and "N" frames, complete with boxes, papers, custom grips as well as the original grips. A couple 6" and 8 3/8" M57, a 3-1/2" and 5" M27-2's, and a couple of 4" M19's and 66's, all with custom grops as well as the genuine S&W smooth target Goncala Alves as well as the factory stocks. All in pristine condition.

A couple of vintage holsters accompanied each gun, including vintage Don Hume Jordan River Belts with matching Jordan River Holsters, various Bianchi and Safariland belt holsters.

After he left I claimed the 5" M27 and 4" blue M19, both with smooth targets as well as one of the two holsters that really caught my eye - original Lawman 'DIRTY HARRY" shoulder holsters, one for a 4" K-frame and the other for, naturally, the 8 3/8" Model 57 (there's a story about Dirty Harry's "44 Magnum" that some of the younger readers may not know!!! :)

I've had the 4" M10 with Herrett Ropers in the picture for a bit now and this is my first leather for it. I'll carry it and the 4" M19 in the Lawman and since I'm not opposed to modernizing, I'm replacing all those goofy leather thongs with Chicago screws.

[image]

Guns and leather

by Robb Barnes, Monday, November 05, 2018, 21:29 (2147 days ago) @ Norm

I am thinking about what to do with my collection of custom revolvers as I get older. My oldest son enjoys custom guns and I have given him a couple already. My daughter is sentimental and she wants her great grandparents guns which is fine but she doesn't have any interest in the custom Rugers, USFAs or TLA guns. My youngest son enjoys hunting but he doesn't really have any appreciation for the work of men like Hamilton Bowen or Jim Stroh.

I think once Dustin Linebaugh finishes the 500 I may let each of them choose one heritage gun from the bunch then start seriously thinning the herd. If I wasn't in a hurry I think I can get most of them sold and take that burden off my wife and family when I am gone.

I spent years wishing I could experience ownership of

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, November 05, 2018, 21:59 (2147 days ago) @ Norm

specific firearms and when finally able to do so am old enough I am considering selling them to reduce the burden on family when I'm gone. However, a part of me wants to be like a couple of our customers who were accumulating right up to the day they died (of illness, not accident). I was seriously looking at a SigSauer P365 and a Fox Sterlingworth 12 ga. today. I have guns to carry and a Sterlingworth (although they all seem to fit me JUST right).

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Guns and leather

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 07:07 (2146 days ago) @ Norm

I have no one to leave my collection of firearms to...My Brother has his own mass of guns but our interest is different. He probably would want one or two for memories but beyond that ???. I've been thinning the group but the OM Ruger SA collection is hard to part with as well as others. I do hate to see valued family firearms like the OP dumped on the market but that is probably the fate of many today.

Guns and leather

by Catoosa, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 09:37 (2146 days ago) @ Norm

I have a treasured little S&W Terrier that I rescued from a pawnshop some years ago. The shop owner said a kid brought it in to sell, saying it belonged to his father and his mother didn't want it in the house after the man died. This gun was accompanied by a well-worn IWB holster of excellent quality and showed the effects of MANY years of carry (bluing much worn) but was clean as a pin and had obviously been well cared for.

Every time I stick that little gun in my pocket (which is frequently)I wonder about the man who owned it. Was he a cop who carried it as a BUG? A jeweler or pharmacist who carried it to protect his business and his life? What stories could this hunk of wood and steel tell if it could talk? I will never know, and the man's family members obviously didn't care. I will take good care of it as long as I last, and hopefully it will get passed on in a more proper manner when I am gone.

Wow, this group, many of I have known since 97-98,

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 10:55 (2146 days ago) @ Catoosa

when I first logged onto Jim Taylor's and John Taffin's Sixguns forum, has come full circle. 20 years ago we were all shopping. My thoughts mirror many here. I have everything, gun wise, that I ever wanted, now what? I drew down the collection 4 years ago, to pay off medical bills... it has blossomed since then. My kids and grand kids will get several of them. But what about the rest? Now doesn't seem to be the time to sell. market is down. BUT, do I price them and leave them in the safe as a legacy, or sell them off? Not a big problem, but interesting to contemplate.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by D. Sikes, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 14:39 (2146 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Jim Taylor's and John Taffin's Sixgun Forum of the mid and late 90's... WOW... I wonder how many of us that joined back in the 90's of that forum are still hanging in here on this one... and the FB pages... I feel like a dinosaur...

and I do so know about selling off guns to fund medical bills... this last year when we moved to Texas for 9 months wiped out my guns down to my carry and a few black powder guns... all those years of collecting beautiful pieces of art ... gone... the Colts, the S&W's, the Winchesters, the AR's... all gone...

I guess when you and family are faced with mortality and money comes into play... you have to make priorities... will I start another collection?... will I acquire new guns?... well.. probably a couple of essential and cheap (cause that's all the funds I have now) guns for practical farm use now and that's about it...

I ended up getting a cheap ($200) SAA (Bounty Hunter) in .357 for use around the farm since all I had left was my 1911 Commander (my carry)... I'm looking for a cheap pump shotgun that both my wife and I can use for home, probably a Mossy in .410 cause my wife can't handle the recoil of anything bigger... I do have a single shot .410 snake gun in the corner... and I'd like to get another levergun for hunting, but the prices are ridiculous... I can get a .308 bolt action with scope for half the cost of a lever these days... and I'd like to get another AR just because... but all these cost money I don't have...

I guess to get to the topic of this discussion... I'm down now to bare minimums and really don't have anything to pass on except if my kids want to keep any for mementos ... none I have now are worth more than the price of a used utility gun.. so much for past hopes and dreams...

Have about decided that when i go, my wife can

by John K., Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 14:55 (2146 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Prop me up in front of a lathe in my shop surrounded by all my stuff and then just hire dozers to build a pyramid over everything.

Guns and leather

by Byron, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 18:02 (2146 days ago) @ Norm

Wow!

Amazing how time change. I have been here since the Erp.com days and have enjoyed the presents of this board through both very good times and very very sad times.

It has been an honor.

This has been on my mind for the past year. Recently my attention has been on my BP and prostate instead of CrossFit and pistols.

Through luck and a lot of hard work I have been blessed with an affluence that allowed me to experience much. During which I acquired some custom revolvers that in the proper circle would be considered to be something really special.

There is a matched set of 5.5" Ruger Bisley revolvers marked in part "Cody, Wyoming"... A .22 RF SS, .32 H&R Mag SS, .32 Mag/.32-20 convertible, .357, .44, .45 and .475 Linebaugh Mag just taking up space in the safe.

A stack of wonderful Dave Clements revolvers as well. Lots more.

Regretfully, I haven't shot any of them in years. A shame how priorities change.

A post about a .30M1 Carbine Clements Custom for possible sale recently did not receive a single response which surprised me greatly.

Time is not kind.

Cheers,

Byron

Guns and leather

by bj @, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 19:42 (2146 days ago) @ Cherokee

Unfortunately a lot of family members don't value a man's possessions like he does. Carrying a pile of guns into the average store won't get you much but on the other hand if it is a reasonable store then they will go back on the market where new customers who can appreciate them will have a chance to buy them.

I was certain that you had a response on the .30 Carbine

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 22:16 (2146 days ago) @ Byron

revolver...

I hear you about health. My BP is fine but not the prostate around which I must structure my life as well as my knees and feet.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Guns and leather

by Big Six, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 22:40 (2146 days ago) @ Norm

Sore subject with me.

We have had several family meetings regarding "Daddy's" stuff and the general consensus is that nothing will be sold. That is a sickening thought.

Over the years I have given sons what are referred to as heirloom guns and they are the oldest and carry the most stories. I had small revolvers for each (which BTW Rob mad beautiful holsters for) which they don't carry for various reasons related to sentimentality.

Every family gathering I try to give each kid another gun and you each know that the pile grows as does your age. When I inevitably leave this orb they will pick up each remaining piece and recall the story it carries. Like most of you there are stories galore.

Then, when it is all said and done, there are the grandchildren. They too look at Papaw's stuff and hear stories of what they will do when........

Oldest grandson is shooting now when at Papaw's place and the weather is permitting.

Each of you hss in his possession treasures that some kid, someday will also treasure.

Remember that above.

Health: We are only here a little while. Praise Jesus for each day and especially for those days you are allowed to share your treasures with your seed.

On my mind (what's left of it) as well.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, November 07, 2018, 08:05 (2145 days ago) @ Norm

Fortunately, I have been blessed with at least three sons who appreciate their old man's hobby. They will gladly take it up. My fourth son and daughter will likely end up with a couple of pieces of sentimental value.

I told them that I was going to pull the grips and butt plates off of each item and write someone's name underneath. When the time comes, they'll have to disassemble everything to find out who gets what. :-D

Seriously though, I did start a "book" wherein each page lists a particular firearm, when it was acquired and from whom, purchase price, etc. Below the data is a paragraph (or six) which contains any history, game taken, reloading data, modifications, etc. which I hope will 'tell the story' of an individual gun. Whoever inherits said piece, will also get the appropriate page out of the book as well.

They too will not have to wait as I have been handing out bits here and there. Then, there are ALL the grandkids....

me too Rob..it was about that same time,i 'joined up'

by cable, Wednesday, November 07, 2018, 10:59 (2145 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

and i have done one major down size when my health appeared to be approaching terminal....but I made it and have re-accumulated 'too much stuff' once more

the books and magazines etc I have not replaced and don't plan to.

my son and daughter do truly appreciate and enjoy using this stuff, so hopefully they will keep the cream of the collection and pass it down to their own descendants.

some of the stuff is so rare and unusual that I am writing down documentation about it, so they will understand what they have

On my mind (what's left of it) as well.

by Big Six, Wednesday, November 07, 2018, 12:08 (2145 days ago) @ Hoot

Sounds like you have it under control. I like the idea about the book. I have always used family gatherings at the kitchen table and then record results in the reloading room which is to never be painted (long story).

In my previous post I made a comment that didn't come off as intended and needed editing. Not having the abilty to edit I provide the following... I previously said:

We have had several family meetings regarding "Daddy's" stuff and the general consensus is that nothing will be sold. That is a sickening thought.

The "sickening thought" was that of selling the results of my years of enjoyment.

The converse of my intent was conveyed in my original post.

Maybe I read between the lines... ;-)

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, November 07, 2018, 14:52 (2145 days ago) @ Big Six

But I understood what you meant in spite of what you wrote.

Note: This HAS gotten me in trouble in the past...

the book is a great idea

by bj @, Wednesday, November 07, 2018, 19:27 (2145 days ago) @ Hoot

I might think about that.
You could also post photographs in the book if you have any that relate to particular guns.

As some of you

by Robb Barnes, Thursday, November 08, 2018, 00:30 (2145 days ago) @ bj

know, I started what I call my "Quest" over 10 years ago in an effort to commission a custom revolver from each of who I consider the top gunsmiths of this day and age. Between Hamilton's book on custom revolvers, JT's books with all the custom guns shown and pictures and stories of all the customs Fermin Garza has had done I caught the custom revolver bug in a big way.

AS these projects have come into fruition I have put all the receipts etc for each project in a manila envelope. I really like the book idea and with retirement coming up in less that two months that would be a good project to work on. The thoughts behind the project, the places where all the various parts of the projects came from and the fiscal numbers for the project. Throw in some gun specific pictures of each project and have one of the book houses like snap fish etc do a private book. The wheels may be rusty but they do still turn slowly!

by Mark @, Thursday, November 08, 2018, 07:32 (2144 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I remember those days. I learned a lot reading at the Campfire" and the original board. I learned about the benefit of heavy bullets at the right velocity and WFN bullets. I used to post under a different name back then but now, when I do post, I just use the name that my Mom gave to me a little over 46 years ago.
Back to the original point, My Dad passed when I was 20. I got all of his guns (around 10) and I am still happy to have them today. He didn't keep fancy holsters and such. I have two gun stores that I frequent and both say the same thing. This generation does not appreciate the classics. I hear the same from antique seller types. These days, folks just don't spend money on things that last.
As for me, I have been fortunate to have some fine examples from S&W, Ruger, Freedom Arms, etc. in my safe. Like others have mentioned, priorities change and I don't get out to the range nearly as much as I would like. I do always come back around. I hope I have many years before age and health catch-up to me. When I pass, I am under no illusions that my family will want my guns. Considering the political climate here in New York, I am not sure how many people will be able to have guns. I will just enjoy what I have but I have considered thinning the heard. However, I have sold some good shooting guns and regretted it.

No children to leave them to either

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, November 12, 2018, 04:26 (2140 days ago) @ Norm

Probably give a few to the wife's grandkids. They call me "Paw Paw Bob" anyway. I have sold a bunch in the last year and a half. But dagnammit a Springfield Armory Mod 2 3.3 45 caught my eye several months ago and dang it hurt to shoot. So what did I do? I loaded a 200 grain Berry's hollow point over 5 grains of Bullseye and it is perfect. Shoots dead on accurate at 25 yards straight to the POA. Well I digress. Wait I was at a gun store recently and couldn't pass up a Thompson Center Compass in .308. Little did I know these things shot so well. Then last spring I bought a Ruger American in 7.62 x 39. I'll swear everyone who makes these eventually quits making them and I'll have one for sale. Little did I know they shot so well even with Russian steel case! I will stop digressing.

Back to the subject of getting rid of my guns. Seems I sell 10 and buy 3. I do dislike getting rid of ARs and AKs. Seems as bad as I hate to say this someday a liberal congress might just enact something that will allows the price of these to skyrocket and then sell. Then again I should leave them to the wife's grandkids so they can use them against the purple haired hordes.

I do still love using and tinkering with them though and I think and hope until the day I die I will cherish the anticipation that goes along with buying a new gun and dies and brass and going to the range and trying it out.

Bob

HAHAHAHA!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 15:56 (2138 days ago) @ John K.

Sounds about right.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread