LilGun in .44 Mag

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 07:56 (2173 days ago)

Anyone using LilGun in .44 Mag? I am going to load a bunch of .44s and have about 9 pounds of LilGun so... I am aware of concerns with burning out the throats of revolvers. Would just like any users input.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

LilGun in .44 Mag

by jgt, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 05:18 (2172 days ago) @ Hobie

It always depends on what you want to accomplish when loading. Personally, I like to pick loads that give me the most velocity with the lowest pressure. From there I pick the ones that give me the best accuracy with the chosen bullet/primer combination. When looking at Lil Gun I noticed it is at its best when used for bullets on the heavy side in 44's. Check your loading manual to see if it is the best powder for your desired application.

Going to be using 240 gr. XTPs. 240s will be accurate in

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 21:53 (2172 days ago) @ jgt

the Marlin 1894 and should do well in the 10, 14 and 21 inch Contender barrels and 629. I've checked the manuals, always do, just interested in the experiences of others. Having so much LilGun I'd like to use it.

I will be loading at least a .50 cal ammo can full of this load. I used to load a bunch of .44 Special level in the .44 Mag cases but now I have .44 Specials for that use.

I have to admit, the 4-inch Redhawk is my favorite .44 Mag handgun ever. I've put about 600 rounds through it this year.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Going to be using 240 gr. XTPs. 240s will be accurate in

by rob @, Friday, October 19, 2018, 16:51 (2164 days ago) @ Hobie

I've had the best results with Lil'Gun with heavier bullets:180g in 357 and 300g in 44 Mag or 45 Colt. 15 grains is excellent in 357 Magnum with 180's if you have a 357. I had good results with 300 grain bullets in several personally owned Marlin 44 Magnums. I think the tales of heavy bullet woe in the 20" twist are way over hyped as are the tales of micro grove not shooting cast, ported guns not shooting cast, etc, ad nauseum. At least try it for yourself before buying the common inter web gun lore.

LilGun in .44 Mag

by jgt, Friday, October 12, 2018, 07:04 (2171 days ago) @ jgt

Lil Gun will work. You may find that it heats your barrels in range sessions more than other powders. Also be aware of the winter/summer aspect of loading that many cartridges at one time. Where I am it is a good time of year for that as our average temps are running in the low 70's now, so no extreme hot or cold. Lil Gun would work best for three hundred grain or heavier bullets, but that does not mean you can not use it for the 240 grain bullets. Everyone is not like me and it is apparent that some people like higher pressures for a given load. As long as you have that information I would not be so arrogant as to tell you what you should load.

Just FYI, today I shot some of these loads as a test.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 20:18 (2170 days ago) @ jgt

It seemed pretty accurate. I was surprised to find that the gun did not get as hot as the .32 H&R got when burning only 11 grains of LilGun. As an aside, the Hornet and Bee don't get noticeably hotter either.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by jgt, Sunday, October 14, 2018, 05:37 (2169 days ago) @ Hobie

Good to hear. I'm glad it is working out for you.

by E Sisk, Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 01:39 (2167 days ago) @ Hobie

The internet cowboys theory on Lil'Gun throat erosion wasn't from heat. It was forcing cone abrasion of unburned kernels of powder. My Ruger #3 .22 Hornet shoots 1/2" groups with LG loaded at 100% available case capacity. Brian Pearce wrote an article several years back about Lil'G and the Hornet, somehow he is able to get a full 1.0 gr. more powder in his cases than I can. I have found it (in my guns) accurate in Hornet, 32 mag, 357, 41 mag, 44 mag. and 454, I use it almost exclusively in my full power handgun hunting loads. I have not tried it in 327 Fed yet but expect it to perform well.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, October 21, 2018, 18:04 (2162 days ago) @ E Sisk

Thanks for the post.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

LilGun in .44 Mag

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Thursday, October 11, 2018, 22:32 (2172 days ago) @ Hobie

No help here I've never used it.

RSS Feed of thread