Apex Trigger/Action Parts....

by rob @, Thursday, September 20, 2018, 17:32 (2193 days ago)

I bought two S&W Shield 2.0 pistols (one for me and one for wife). The triggers leave much to be desired to put it gently. If I pull the triggers past the wall quickly they will generally stay on target when dry firing but if you pull them trying to get a nice surprise break, the only surprise is how far it twitches the front sight off target. I ordered the guns based on how nice the trigger was on the M&P 2.0 Compact I bought and gave to my daughter. Anyhow, I'm thinking about trying the Apex Trigger and duty/carry trigger/action enhancement kit. I'm curious if any of you have experience with the Apex stuff...how much improvement, reliability, etc. I've heard good things but figured I'd ask.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 11:12 (2191 days ago) @ rob

I haven't used Apex but I did copy their sear geometry on a M&P 45 awhile back. Worked like a charm and finished about 5#, with a real crisp break. Made it noticeably easier to hit with and 6" plates were easy to hit shooting strong hand only.

If I was disinclined to work on the factory parts, I'd say Apex is your best bet.

by rob @, Saturday, September 22, 2018, 15:47 (2191 days ago) @ Sarge

Shooting these guns two handed is really easy without the front sight twitch. It's that strong hand only that makes the trigger less than desirable.

Apex Trigger/Action Parts: Rob I bought a Shield with a

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 15:48 (2186 days ago) @ rob

Great Apex trigger in it. It's Jan's it shoots great. I have owned over a dozen of the little Shields in all three calibers. the 9mm 3.1" with the Apex trigger is better than the 2.0 trigger. I wouldn't recommend the .40 or 45 Shield's at all. yeah Me, Rob Leahy, die hard .44 & 45 man said that.
I put an APEX trigger & barrel in my M&P CORE and really enjoy it. I have railed against striker fired, bulky plastic guns in the past, but now I own and shoot several.
[image] This G40 has an ok factory trigger needed tall sights and I wanted the RMR. This M&P I got from Hargrove and carry it whenever I leave my place. The trigger and sight really make this a great shooter.
[image] this is Jan's little G23 with a Lone Wolf 40 to 9mm barrel and a local made slide with Trijjicon RMR trigger job. Lew Gosnell of Gunsite did the Grip reduction.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I love my M&P 9 CORE

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 21:32 (2186 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Since my wife absconded with my EDC Ruger SR-9, I've been forced to make a full commitment to the reflex sighted M&P 9.

An Apex sear kit will be going in the M&P when I get around to it, but I don't find the trigger to be all that bad.
There's still a bunch of work to do till the dot floats in the windshield every time I draw from the holster, or from high ready but it's coming.

It's a great thing these days, every semi auto pistol I've bought in the past 10 years has been completely reliable.
Ruger SR-9
S&W Shield 9
Ruger LC9 and an LC-9S
Kahr P45
S&W M&P 40
Kahr PM40
H&K USP 9

Of all those pistols, the only failures have been due to faulty ammunition.
We live in a great time for defensive pistols. When I think back to my early days, when the J-frame Smith, the Walther PPK, and K-frame, Security Six, and Colt's Combat Commander were the most common CCW choices.

Red Dot? Do you have co witnessed iron sights?

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, September 28, 2018, 14:47 (2185 days ago) @ MS

THAT to me, is the single most important factor in the RMR working well for me on the draw and first shot.

--

Agreed....

by rob @, Friday, September 28, 2018, 16:22 (2185 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I haven't done the RMR thing yet but if I do I plan on doing co-witness sights. If you can find that front sight, you know exactly where that red dot will be. That, and the BUIS make it a no brainier. I've got a G20 SF and I love it. I've considered a G40 with the RMR setup for a hunting pistol but I have so many guns in the safe already screaming "Take me! Take me! Take me!," every time I go hunting that I need to shoot what I have for a while before I buy more.

Red Dot? Do you have co witnessed iron sights?

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Saturday, September 29, 2018, 16:34 (2184 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

My M&P9 is the exact same model as the one in your pic.
So yes, it does co-witness to the iron sights.

I think it's the slight clutter effect of the top frame on the RMR that's the cause. I'm so used to using the rear silhouette of the gun as it comes up into my vision, and then finding the front sight on top.
With the reflex sight, the front sight and dot are not on top.
Many more draws and snap sight picture drills will surely get me past it.

Apex Trigger/Action Parts: Rob I bought a Shield with a

by rob @, Friday, September 28, 2018, 16:14 (2185 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I like that G23. I told Scott I'd like to buy a 23, get a Lone Wolf 40 to 9 barrel and a 357 Sig barrel for it. I think that would make for an exceptionally versatile pistol. His response was "your 10mm will do any thing those calibers will." That is true, BUT, it's a bigger gun, less concealable and having the flexibility in one gun to shoot all three would be good. I'm still thinking about it if I find the right pistol for a steal.

40 S&W .357 SIG 9mm... so many very hot 9mm

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, September 29, 2018, 12:28 (2184 days ago) @ rob

loads available, it's hardly worth then difference. I am sitting on a bunch of loaded m.40 S&W, sop it gets carried & used .

--

by DiamondD, Monday, October 29, 2018, 23:57 (2154 days ago) @ rob

I don't have an Apex equipped M&P but I do have one on a Walther PPQ. Made an already very good striker fired trigger into an excellent one.

I bought two of the kits...

by rob @, Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 07:17 (2153 days ago) @ DiamondD

I installed one in my gun and my wife being a UPS package car driver, getting home most week nights after dark, I haven't done hers yet. I installed the whole kit with all the springs and the trigger in mine. The aluminum trigger is a pain in the but to install and I'm not sure I wouldn't just prefer the factory trigger. The springs ( at least the trigger spring (and maybe the others... I need to check) are heavier in the Apex kit to keep the trigger pull from being too light (according to the guy I called and talked to at Apex). I'm going to drop just the sear and sear spring in my wife's pistol and see how I like it. If I like it better than mine I'm going to retrofit mine back to the factory trigger and just the sear/sear spring (except for the striker block parts (too much trouble to pull the sights again and change them back out. All in all, mine is much improved but not as light as I'd like it. Getting the factory trigger spring back in it is supposed to drop the pull anothe .5-1.0 pounds.

RSS Feed of thread