MidwayUSA and Hornady Frontier 5.56...

by rob @, Monday, September 17, 2018, 18:49 (2196 days ago)
edited by rob, Monday, September 17, 2018, 18:57

[image]
[image]I’m getting a bit irritated with MidwayUSA’s poor packaging. I’ve pretty much quit ordering 22 shells from them because they just dump them in the box with a couple of those little packing pillows and tape it up and the boxes (like CCI uses) slam into each other until they are all shattered. Today I received a box of Hornady Frontier 5.56 XM193 (150 count) and the outer box was perfect, but the Frontier box looked like it had been dropped from a two story roof onto concrete. I started trying to sort them (good from bad) and when I had seven visibly good rounds compared to twenty dented ones I quit. I tried to call them but their customer service hours end at 4:30 now. I’m pretty sure the box had been smashed before it was packaged. I’m just about done with them and have almost all but switched to Midsouth Shooters Supply and a few others for the things I used to get from Midway. Pretty sad as I’ve been buying from them for decades. However, on another note, have any of you used this Hornady Frontier XM193? I’ve been wanting to try it so this sale came up at Midway and I bought them. Many are dented from being dropped, but some have some serious defects. I took a picture of two rounds, one that’s obvious and one that doesn’t show up well but it’s a split neck the full length of the neck. It’s plain with my eye (and by feel) but not so much in the pic but I’ll post it anyway. I generally like Hornady ammo and I still want to try this stuff, but I’m curious if this is the norm or a bad box. Several of these necks look rippled but it’s hard to get them to show up on camera.

by Ray L., Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 06:19 (2195 days ago) @ rob

I order most of my ammo and have many experiences such as you describe. I'll get a good, undamaged shipment and decide to use that seller more and then get a stinker from them.

My main problem with Midway, other than loose rounds floating around, is that since 1 july of this year I cannot get on their website without locking-up my computer. I know that there was some changes in internet security protocols that went into affect on 1 july but I don't understand why Midway's website is the only one, so far that bothers my computer.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 13:28 (2195 days ago) @ Ray L.

Has to be something with your PC, I have no problems getting into Midway...nor have I had any problems with damaged shipments from Midway. Just different experiences I guess.

No problems here with Midway shipments or website either

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 15:04 (2195 days ago) @ Cherokee

Nm

They are taking care of it....

by rob @, Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 20:17 (2195 days ago) @ Cherokee
edited by rob, Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 20:21

They wanted me to count out the damaged rounds and I said no. It's just not worth my time. I told her if she'd send me a shipping label I'd send it to them and they can count the damaged rounds. I was on the phone with her for over 45 minutes between explaining what my problem is to simply waiting on someone to help. I got frustrated last night trying to sort it out and already decided I'd eat the $55 dollars before I waste any more time on it. I think she thought I was being dramatic but I just told her again, "Seriously, I'm just gonna eat the cost of the purchase and not worry about it, thank you for your time." At this point she said she'd file a claim with UPS (and this clearly is not UPS' fault) and ship me another box of ammo. I already have a tracking number, and I took the bag of ammo to the shop after lunch so if ups shows up to inspect it, it will be there. I seriously doubt that will happen but it's ready if they do.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 21:22 (2195 days ago) @ rob

After looking at the pictures again, it looks like manufacturing problems, not shipping damage. Anyway, you're getting replacements, that's good.

by rob @, Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 21:54 (2195 days ago) @ Cherokee

Definitely in the two picks it was a manufacturing issue. There were a few others as well where the necks looked like they were too large and squished down on too small a bullet and it crinkled them. I'm not sure that's what happened, it's just the only way I know how to describe it. I hope this isn't normal for this this ammo...I like Hornady and I'm really hoping this will be a good reliable and fairly accurate plinking load. However, the Hornady box was gouged open and the case shoulders of several loads were dented from a chain reaction of cases smashing cases.

As far as this Frontoer 5.56 M193 goes...

by rob @, Wednesday, September 19, 2018, 19:19 (2194 days ago) @ rob

I did a bit of research and quickly discovered it's a joint venture between Hornady and Lake City. The short story is its LC M193 with Hornady 55 grain FMJ bullets...and the other rounds are LC with other Hornady bullets like 55 HP Match, 75 grain ELD, etc. Haven't found any negative press on it so I'm hoping my first batch was abnormal. Tracking says I'll have it tomorrow.

RSS Feed of thread