What to do with unwanted brass?

by sjcollins ⌂ @, SW Missouri, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 09:42 (2251 days ago)

What do you guys do with the brass that you don't want to reload? I reload all my revolver rounds, and for my .45s, but it doesn't make any sense to reload 5.56mm and 9mm since it's so cheap right now.

I've got a whole bunch of brass in both calibers, I just don't know how to get rid of it.

by Byron, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 11:46 (2251 days ago) @ sjcollins

Put it in a box under the stairs and forget about it.

Times may change...

Cheers,

Byron

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 12:18 (2251 days ago) @ sjcollins

If you don't want to put it away "just in case" for the future, offer it for sale for the price of shipping (if you don't want to make any money) or take it to the scrap dealer and make some money. I would save it for the future.

by uncowboy, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 12:38 (2251 days ago) @ Cherokee

send to me at flat rate big box cost I know

many that will make it work. J.Michael

That's right, it doesn't eat...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 20:22 (2251 days ago) @ Byron

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by sjcollins ⌂ @, SW Missouri, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 20:30 (2251 days ago) @ sjcollins

Ya'll might be right; times won't always be this good. It'll get prepped, then go in buckets in the back closet. Thanks for the reminders, fellas.

That's right, make hay while the sun shines...

by Paul ⌂, Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 08:58 (2250 days ago) @ sjcollins

or in this case, save brass while it's available. I've got every cartridge case fired by the Llama Cassidy - even though reloading is verboten here. "Just in case"... one never knows what the future may bring.

I've been struggling with the same issue for a while...

by rob @, Saturday, August 04, 2018, 21:00 (2240 days ago) @ sjcollins
edited by rob, Saturday, August 04, 2018, 21:03

I moved my reloading bench from the garage to my boy's bedroom when the youngest of the two moved out. It was easy to just keep packing that brass away out there where my reloading bench was. My dad passed away a little over a year ago and I've got to get his stuff out of his TWO two car garages and into my one car garage. He was a gear head all his life and I'm a professional gear head so there's a lot of tools, hot rod stuff, etc. I gave as much as I could to my two sons and they really want the engine from his race car (69 Charger) and one is stationed at Fort Hood and the other needs to get serious about buying his own house. So I have a Dodge 440 engine, trans and engine hoist to make room for. I put up about 1000 9mm cases and probably close to 2K 45 ACP cases in my reloading room and probably 200 30-06 cases in my reloading room (all once fired). This is in addition to the cases I already have loaded with handloads and those that were already in circulation (including all the others I load for). The rest I put in a bucket (I ain't sure how large but it's a lot bigger than a five gallon) and on top of that I tossed a bag of once fired 45 ACP brass that weighed at least 15-20 pounds. We have an elderly man that delivers parts to us at the shop and we save all our scrap metal for him as well. I packed it up and took it to the shop this afternoon for him. That large bucket (probably 7 gallons) is full to the top with 9mm, 45 ACP, 38 Special, and 30-06, all once fired. It's hard to let it go (us gear heads tend to be hoarders by nature!) but I know it makes sense. I could sell it but the effort to find someone who wants it for what it's worth just isn't worth my time. I'm pretty sure the 30-06 and 45-70 brass I already have is enough to last me a lifetime. I can buy 1000 rounds of 9mm for $200 or so and 1000 45 ACP for about $50 more. When that gives me 1000 rounds of each and another 1000 once fired cases, saving it ALL just doesn't make sense. 357, 44 Mag, 10mm, and 45-70 gets shot until the necks start to split or it looks like case heads are about to fail.

RSS Feed of thread