Need 9mm bulk/range ammo suggestion...

by rob @, Sunday, July 15, 2018, 14:33 (2260 days ago)

I have a Glock 19x that throws Winchester white box all over the place. I have a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact that throws Remington all over the place but does ok with WWB. Both shoot most premium carry ammo very accurately. I need to get serious about working up a good 124g range handload that would have a good field bullet companion...like 124 HAP/XTP combo. But I'd like to find a good bulk load or range load that's generally considered accurate in most guns hoping it will do well in both above mentioned pistols as well as my wife's P226. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks,

rob

what WWB is not working?.....

by former hater of plastic, Sunday, July 15, 2018, 16:53 (2260 days ago) @ rob

mine shoots the 115grFMJ extremely well, as in 2" out of a mini handheld, and shoots the same 115grJHP to same POA and just as well.

And, the JHP is as speedy as the speediest, and expands to pretty much the same as the most expensive, but just not in such a beautiful say it with flowers way. Check out any youtube test of the stuff from even the shortest barrels, and you will be impressed.

I gave up on boutique ammo long ago, rifle or handgun, if I ever even started. The WWB JHP runs twice as much as the FMJ, and half as much as any fancy ammo.

what WWB is not working?.....

by Ken O'Neill, Monday, July 16, 2018, 07:57 (2259 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

My one Glock shoots Federal 115 gr. FMJ best of all.

I have had good luck

by uncowboy, Monday, July 16, 2018, 09:08 (2259 days ago) @ Ken O'Neill

with Seller and Bellot Bulk from cheaper than dirt or Graffs. Worth trying a box or two.

I’ll give it a try. Nm

by rob @, Monday, July 16, 2018, 10:54 (2259 days ago) @ uncowboy

Thanks Ken...

by rob @, Monday, July 16, 2018, 10:53 (2259 days ago) @ Ken O'Neill

Good suggestion. CCI Blazer Brass always works well in my 45s so that may be another option.

Try the DoubleTap manufactured Colt 124gr target load...

by matt/pa @, Monday, July 16, 2018, 07:43 (2259 days ago) @ rob

It's been pretty accurate for me. It's high quality, and a great manufacturer who supports the industry a lot.

They are a bit more expensive than the cheap stuff, but there's a reason for that.

Matt

Thanks Matt...

by rob @, Monday, July 16, 2018, 10:55 (2259 days ago) @ matt/pa

Great suggestion!

Subnscribe to Double Tap's news letter recieve 20 to 40

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 15:20 (2251 days ago) @ matt/pa

percent discounts often with free shipping. Great ammo.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Subnscribe to Double Tap's news letter recieve 20 to 40

by rob @, Sunday, July 29, 2018, 09:57 (2246 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I didn’t know that. I’ll do it this afternoon. Thanks Rob.

You might try Georgia Arms

by stonewalrus, Monday, July 16, 2018, 10:28 (2259 days ago) @ rob

I have tried all sorts of their ammo and never had an issue.

by Paul ⌂, Monday, July 16, 2018, 13:00 (2259 days ago) @ rob

Just prior to the last election we ordered a quantity of 115 gr FMJ reloads from LAX Ammunition. It was a good price for the time and last summer we shot up a bunch of it. 100% reliability in the Shield so far. Haven't priced other sources lately so don't know how they compare pricewise. There's a lot more out there than there was two years ago - and probably better pricing as well.

Whio mloads 9mm??? 9 to 10 bucks a box now...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, July 16, 2018, 15:35 (2259 days ago) @ rob

buy in bulk,

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Whio mloads 9mm??? 9 to 10 bucks a box now...

by rob @, Monday, July 16, 2018, 19:16 (2259 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by rob, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 21:36

Jerry Miculek does! I just like accuracy so I do too. It's good to find a decent load that will shoot into 2-3" at 25 yards but a handload that is a tack driver is always a plus to me.

The best most Glocks can do is 2" from a rest...

by former hater of plastic, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 00:02 (2259 days ago) @ rob

trying for the ultimate handload in a Glock is as using solid silver BBs in a Red Ryder.

The best most Glocks can do is 2" from a rest...

by rob @, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 18:40 (2258 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

Sorry to be blunt but that's hogwash. I own several Glocks and have owned more and that's simply not true...especially with 45 ACP and 10mm. My little Glock 36 has done 2.5" in my hands at 30 yards offhand several times and I bought this one because I had a previous 36 that shot that way as well.

I have shot 2" 25yds with mine too, but,

by former hater of plastic, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 19:53 (2258 days ago) @ rob

generally stars must be aligned, it is not repeatable on demand, and rested groups average no better.

If it hogwash, it leaves them looking like Jane Seymore, if you can fire 10ea 10-shot groups rested from most Glocks and it average smaller than 2" and give a statistically meaningful true average.

and just curious,

by former hater of plastic, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 19:59 (2258 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

the above reply to the why handload at all was seemingly lacking the blunt hogwash tone, seemingly reserved only for an observation as to average Glock accuracy?

My hogwash comment was in regards to...

by rob @, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 21:24 (2258 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

Handloading for Glocks is akin to shooting silver BBs in a Red Rider...or whatever it was you said exactly. And the tone was for several reasons:
1) I clearly said WWB shoots bad in one of my 9mms, the Rem 115 JHP shoots all over the place in another and one pistol is oblivious to ammo choice. Thus I was asking for suggestions on ammo folks have good luck with and I got several good ones. However, you pretty much just made the point of how great WWB was, which, for you, is great if it serves your purpose, but it did me no good at all.
2) Pertaining to the silver BB comment, it may be pointless to shoot premium BBs in a Red Rider, but shooting practice ammo in your daily carry gun that is accurate, be it handloads or bulk ammo, is not silly at all. It makes perfect sense when WWB shoots 12" groups at 25 yards to find a different practice ammo and I, for one, just enjoy loading my own ammo.
3) Maybe it's just me, and I'm only speaking for me, but I get a little perturbed when someone starts on a forum with one name, leaves and comes back with another name, and then a third and a forth, and those are just the ones I know of. Why not just create an account with your real name (or a handle if you prefer) and stay you. Just my two cents.

And furthermore...

by rob @, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 21:34 (2258 days ago) @ former hater of plastic
edited by rob, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 21:39

My comment about handloading 9mm wasn't about Glocks. It was about handloading 9mm. I do have two 9mms that are not Glocks and one of them is a very very accurate pistol. Rob's comment about who loads 9mm was perfectly fine and understandable from the standpoint of how cheap the ammo is. But loading premium 9mm ammo in the +P catagory with a good JHP bullet like a 124 XTP that shoots tight groups in my p226 has merit. I mentioned three pistols in my OP and you just wanted to hone in on Glock's General accuracy and assumed I'm only handloading for a Glock. Also, as far as bulk ammo is concerned, in the post you responded to I believe I said a load that shoots into 2"-3" would be good.

by sjcollins ⌂ @, SW Missouri, Monday, July 16, 2018, 18:14 (2259 days ago) @ rob

Blazer Brass is my go to for training anymore. Winchester and Remington have had too many QC issues for me to use them anymore.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 14:31 (2258 days ago) @ rob

I know you're looking for range ammo, but I recently picked up some self defense 9mm in bulk.

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/police-trade-147gr-speer-bonded-hollow-point-ammo-250rd-...

by rob @, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 18:36 (2258 days ago) @ Warhawk

That's a great deal. I just bought a box of 250. It's a great way to see how my guns like that load if nothing else, and if they like it, and I'll have more carry ammo.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 10:59 (2257 days ago) @ rob

I did the same thing, if it shoots well in my guns I may order more.

RSS Feed of thread