Going back to my roots

by sjcollins ⌂ @, SW Missouri, Friday, July 13, 2018, 22:27 (2262 days ago)

I haven't been on here for a while. I went back to college to finish my Master's degree, and then I'm going to go on to my PhD in History so I can teach at a university somewhere.

Prior to this, I'd been in the business of teaching defensive firearms for a long time, much of that for a national training company. I'd also made a point of getting to know a lot of people in the industry, and there are a lot of good people. However, I got to the point that I got burned out, tired of the infighting in the gun community, especially the training side, and wanted out. It was so bad I even stopped writing any gun articles.

So, I went back to my other love, History. Now I'm back in school, and I really enjoy it. I haven't given up my guns of course, but I'm just taking a step back for a while. All of the tactical stuff has gone on the back burner for now, and I've been spending more time with my sixguns and leverguns.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

Going back to my roots

by Bri A, Saturday, July 14, 2018, 08:21 (2261 days ago) @ sjcollins

Best of luck, hope everything works out better than your fondest dreams.

If you end up teaching here in VA I hope you'll take the

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, July 14, 2018, 08:48 (2261 days ago) @ sjcollins

time to look us up. We have locally (within 45 minutes drive) James Madison University, Eastern Mennonite University, Mary Baldwin University, Washington and Lee, Virginia Military Institute, and the University of Virginia. Fairly good gun laws as well.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Going back to my roots

by rob @, Sunday, July 15, 2018, 14:12 (2260 days ago) @ sjcollins

There's infighting because 1) A lot of folks are just plain stupid, and 2) There isn't always only just one way to skin a cat. People let their pride get in the way of relationships. There isn't a lot that can be done about #1 until they become teachable and humble enough to realize they don't know it all...and that includes some professional instructors. People are far more important than hardware or technique. I had to come back around myself and remember shooting skills are important but it's also supposed to be fun. We desperately need good history teachers/professors way more than we need tactical shooting instructors...at least that's my opinion anyhow:)

Going back to my roots

by Murphy @, Sunday, July 15, 2018, 18:57 (2260 days ago) @ sjcollins

Good to see you back Steve, you have been missed.

Murphy

Caveat

by Charles, Friday, July 27, 2018, 09:12 (2248 days ago) @ sjcollins

There is infighting and personal conflicts in all professions and jobs. Having taught as full time faculty at a large university, I can tell you there is plenty of conflict, jealousy and infighting in such faculties and administrations.

I say this not to discourage you, but to inform you. There is no place on earth except a hermit cave where this stuff does not go on. However you can learn to not get caught up in it.

RSS Feed of thread