Update on my Bounty Hunter

by D. Sikes, Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 17:23 (2265 days ago)

an update on my Bounty Hunter saga... I shot it on my range today to check fuction and accuracy... well... all chambers went bang... good indent on primers... recoil was mild including the 158gr 1500fps loads... accuracy was ... well... my old age is showing... it imprinted close enough for what I can do without a rest at 10 yards and no shooting glasses, so the sights were fuzzy as hell... the pic shows the "grouping" with 110gr 38 sp loads... I tried to keep the fuzzy sights near the center of the orange circle... and the other pic shows what my gun looks like at the present time, the third pic is Jim Taylor's old Ruger "everywhere gun"... notice what I was going after?... grip/trigger guard denuded and ejector rod denuded... notice the pitting on mine?... yes... it's a well "used" gun and it will live the life of one here on the farm... cheap enough to not worry over dings and blemishes yet to come... functions well enough at "farm" ranges to be useful... loaded now with two rounds of #4 shotshells, two rounds of 110gr. .38sp, two rounds of 158gr .357mag "hot loads" ... the .357mags are the ones from Aquila... advertised as 158gr SJSP at 1540fps. ... welcome to the farm my new hip rider.

http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/DaFrog52/media/Scan_1.jpg.html

http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/DaFrog52/media/IMG_20180710_160941_1.jpg.html

http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/DaFrog52/media/357ruger.jpg.html

by Jhenry, Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 19:54 (2265 days ago) @ D. Sikes

I like it Don. I have had 2 over the years. Good reliable guns. I found them to be accurate and timed just right. I have a Herters Powermag now that I really really like.

All the beautiful old guns out there,

by former hater of plastic, Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 22:03 (2264 days ago) @ D. Sikes

generally stay beautiful for owner after owner, nobody willing to risk breaking with harder and harder to find parts, nor devalue a costly purchase, and they seldom become real working guns carried rain or shine, night or day.

Your dog will hunt.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, July 12, 2018, 20:46 (2263 days ago) @ D. Sikes

Good snag Don, they are decent revolvers that can be exceptional with a little careful tinkering.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/eaas-bounty-hunter-single-action-45-colt/

by Ray L., Saturday, July 14, 2018, 08:33 (2261 days ago) @ Sarge

To: Whom it may concern, I was wondering if anyone can tell me a little about the Bounty Hunter Colt 45. My youngest of three is 14 and he is really into the six gun, he has several guns at this point been shooting since he was four as well as his brother and sister. So I’ve been looking to purchase him a cowboy action revolver for Christmas that won’t break the bank, I came across this revolver at a pawn shop, I usually do a lot of research before purchasing a gun that I have little or no knowledge about. However I got a deal I couldn’t pass up, I know that usually means Run but I have more than enough knowledge about guns to look at the natural functions and this one is in really good shape. But I do not have the knowledge on EAA so if anyone could respond and help me out it would be really appreciated. Again Thanks!

Recognize that response to your excellent article? All that time and care and fotos wasted Sarge !

Ever read some of the facebook and youtube responses ? Hundreds or thousands just like the above.

LOL Ray!

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, July 14, 2018, 09:28 (2261 days ago) @ Ray L.

I do indeed, and I answered it as politely as I could muster while getting the point across.

" the whole purpose of the article you commented on, was to tell you more than a little about the Bounty Hunter 45 Colt. Apparently we were unsuccessful in that effort."

Unfortunately it is a sign of the times. Thank you for your kind comment on that article.

LOL Ray!

by D. Sikes, Saturday, July 14, 2018, 12:51 (2261 days ago) @ Sarge

Sarge, it was a fantastic article... I downloaded it as a permanent file record on my Bounty Hunter... I did that along with an article from Paco Kelly on Gunblast.com ... yours and Paco's articles gave me the confidence to use the Bounty Hunter as a work gun and not be babied as a safe queen... has the strength of a Rugwr but the looks and operating feel of a Colt clone without the cost... thanks for your insight...

he left out one common thing,

by former hater of plastic, Saturday, July 14, 2018, 15:36 (2261 days ago) @ Sarge

a lot of words, no pictures, and then asking, "how much is it worth?".

LOL Ray!

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, July 14, 2018, 18:45 (2261 days ago) @ D. Sikes

Thank you Don. One thing to remember about transfer bar Bounty Hunters is to never attempt to cock one w/o the base pin firmly seated. A Ruger will simply refuse and say "You forgot AGAIN, Dummy." With a Bounty Hunter you may shear the pin the transfer bar is mounted on.

he left out one common thing,

by D. Sikes, Sunday, July 15, 2018, 10:32 (2260 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

I forgot how to embed the pictures into the post ... so did the link to my photobucket pictures... oh well...

LOL Ray!

by D. Sikes, Sunday, July 15, 2018, 14:18 (2260 days ago) @ Sarge

thanks for the reminder... it was one of the first things I noticed when I removed and put the cylinder back on... on my particular one.. if you don't put your finger on the trigger when the cylinder pin isn't all the way in and you try to cock the hammer, you get lucky... the transfer bar comes up just under the firing pin... just don't try to pull the trigger... but you are right... if you put too much pressure on the trigger without checking the cylinder pin first when "troubleshooting" ... you can shear the pivot pin... when I took everything apart for internal inspection, I noticed how small and fragile the pivot pin was on the older style transfer bar... the newer version (post 2000) is much more robust... I'm thinking of ordering a set of "internal" parts from EAA to keep on hand just "in case"... they do carry some of the older style parts in their replacement parts inventory... all in all, I'm happy with my purchase... it's gonna be a handy work gun around the farm... not pretty, just functional and comfortable... my 1911 can go back to being my house and town gun...

I have a few more "wants" to get my armory back in order... a 30-30 levergun, or a .41mag levergun (Trapper), a .410 pump gun, and a .20 ga pump... that should get me back to a reasonable basic acceptable level of inventory for what I need/want for around the farm...

Update on my Bounty Hunter... the pics

by D. Sikes, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 22:21 (2258 days ago) @ D. Sikes

[image]

[image]

[image]

RSS Feed of thread