Need some help from 'Hater of Plastic' I am trying to talk

by ERSisk @, Thursday, June 14, 2018, 14:16 (2291 days ago)

myself out of a NIB Glockamole G40 at my local enabler. I have wanted one, for some reason since the original issue of 10mm Long Slides several years back. I need someone to talk me out of it. $700 all in and out the door, seems like a fare price?

$700 OTD is a more than fair price

by cubrock, Thursday, June 14, 2018, 22:30 (2291 days ago) @ ERSisk

They go for that plus tax around here.

$700 OTD is a more than fair price...ditto...

by former hater of plastic, Friday, June 15, 2018, 00:00 (2291 days ago) @ cubrock

But I am not a .40 cal fan, that caliber causes EVERYbody problems in structural integrity or timing or just about any other safety issue possible. My feelings, anyhow, such as stick with well known 9mm and .45 ACP. Just a peeve of mine, nobody elze need share.

forgot to add, if going .40 cal,

by former hater of plastic, Friday, June 15, 2018, 00:03 (2291 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

the 10mm far preferable to the S&W...to me...more engineered to take it than the smaller guns.

If I don't like the 10mm, I can drop in a .45 acp barrel.

by ERSisk @, Friday, June 15, 2018, 01:52 (2291 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

by jgt, Friday, June 15, 2018, 06:42 (2290 days ago) @ ERSisk

Have you shot one yet? If not go to a range that rents them and shoot one. I admit the last time I shot one was in the eighties when the Colt Delta Elite came out. I shot one and then shot the Desert Eagle 44 magnum. I could not feel the difference in recoil. Maybe today the 10mm is loaded down so it doesn't recoil so much. I would shoot one first to see though.

Like a 357 to me. Have a S&W 610 first year production

by ERSisk @, Friday, June 15, 2018, 12:56 (2290 days ago) @ jgt

and an AMT Javelina long slide SS single stack 7" barrel. The Javelina leaves a smile, to varying degrees, on the unsupported case at the feed ramp. I like the idea of a double stack 10mm long slide with full support of the case. 10mm 135's at 1500 and 180's at 1250 is right there with a .357.

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Friday, June 15, 2018, 13:49 (2290 days ago) @ ERSisk

I always use four questions on a gun purchase
What are the intended uses?
Will it fulfill the intended use as well or better than anything I already own?
Will I say "I wish I had not purchased it/them" 6 months later?
Do I really . . . REALLY want it?

Question 4 of course trumps all others in most instances!

yes it is fair price.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, June 15, 2018, 16:30 (2290 days ago) @ ERSisk

I like Trijicon's RMR out of all the brands

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by ERSisk @, Friday, June 15, 2018, 16:51 (2290 days ago) @ RidinLou

Purpose is to be multi-functional. It will fill gaps not covered, at least perceived gaps not already covered by current arms. I have sold very few guns over the years, unacceptable accuracy being the prime reason, I have gifted and given friends my cost deals. I only had buyers remorse a couple of times over the years, that only because a'smoking deal came up before I could replenish a depleted gun fund. I am not an impulse buyer, a lot of cogitation is involved in any purchase I make, and If I can't pay cash, I can wait. 10mm long slide Glockamole has been on my want list for a long long while. So short version; Multi, Yes, No, Absolutely. Guess I have to go out for a $700.00 cup of coffee next week.

by uncowboy, Friday, June 15, 2018, 19:18 (2290 days ago) @ RidinLou

I don't understand all the questions. The man that taught me to shoot handguns shared some advice with me. He said when temptation knocks. Give in quick! In the long run it saves a lot of time.

by ERSisk @, Friday, June 15, 2018, 23:05 (2290 days ago) @ uncowboy

Product of depression era farming parents. Just not wired that way.

by uncowboy, Saturday, June 16, 2018, 08:00 (2289 days ago) @ ERSisk

the Glock you are looking at will be my next one as well. Today is the NJ Glock match and I am not shooting . I have to get off my but and practice so I can go win one. Maybe next year.

by Norm, Saturday, June 16, 2018, 08:29 (2289 days ago) @ ERSisk

I don't think that will work - you'll need a complete G41 upper, and may need to also chnage the ejector

by ERSisk @, Saturday, June 16, 2018, 21:52 (2289 days ago) @ Norm

Is the OD of the barrel different? Not a problem between a G20 & G21. What I know about Glocks will fit on the tip of a needle.

Rim diameter drives breachface shape,

by former hater of plastic, Saturday, June 16, 2018, 22:26 (2289 days ago) @ ERSisk

along with extractor and ejector location, and even rim thickness differs. If one can use the other, they have Glock-slop like I never would have believed.

Among the .40 cals and launchers, if I were to buy one, I would buy the Glock 10mm.

Rim diameter drives breachface shape,

by ERSisk @, Saturday, June 16, 2018, 23:50 (2289 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

Planning to pick it up Monday.

What you mean, "not like the 10mm"?!!?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, June 17, 2018, 09:01 (2288 days ago) @ ERSisk

Sheesh.

Hi Hoot, hope all is well with you and yours.On not liking10

by ERSisk @, Sunday, June 17, 2018, 13:46 (2288 days ago) @ Hoot

I call; Kings-X, tongue in cheek, fingers crossed behind my back, standing on one foot, Marie Laveau cast a spell, insufficient caffeine consumption, Left eye closed, I'm an idiot.

Lol...that advice has bit me in the butt...

by rob @, Sunday, June 17, 2018, 18:59 (2288 days ago) @ uncowboy

on more than one occasion! But I did buy a G20 not long ago and I am slowly working it into a useful pistol. The factory sights hit about 6" high at 25 yards with various 180 grain factory loads and handloads loaded between 10.2-10.5 grains of Blue Dot and 180 XTP/HAP bullets. I put a spare set of Trijicon night sights on it for this gun with the same results. Put the factory plastic front sight on with a plastic G19 rear (to experiment with sight heights...only temporary) and that seems to have me in the ballpark. I need some time to run a few more rounds through it to verify my sights and if they are good I'll buy a set of Ameriglo Bold sights for a G19 and be good to go. Anyhow, this gun was a giving into temptation and being frustrated with it not being "right" right out of the box, but the guns I cherish the most are the ones I work with until I get them just right.

by the by,

by former hater of plastic, Sunday, June 17, 2018, 21:47 (2288 days ago) @ ERSisk

I am no manner of Glock expert. I have owned, and still own, several, and have read a lot. I only play one on TV.

Lol...that advice has bit me in the butt...

by ERSisk @, Monday, June 18, 2018, 01:00 (2288 days ago) @ rob

I can't remember buying a firearm that did not need tweaking to some degree or another. The worst case was my IAI Javelina Bought brand new in the box, it would not cycle more than two rounds without a malfunction. I spent about a month fitting and polishing, finally got it to about 90% reliable. That is when I discovered Lees factory crimp die. The Javelina had a tight chamber and once I ran all my loads through the Lee die as a final step it became 100% reliable. I am not expecting one hole groups but do expect it to do 3" or better at 50 yds. even better if it will do 2" .

HAHAHA!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, June 18, 2018, 07:45 (2287 days ago) @ ERSisk

Just had to jerk your chain a bit. We are very well here, thanks. Missed seeing you this spring in AR.

BUT...if one wanted a semi-sorta "magnumized" auto,

by former hater of plastic, Monday, June 18, 2018, 15:00 (2287 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

the Glock 10mm seems a good way to go.

Unlike their .40 S&W attempts in adapting their military grade slop clearances to the high pressure .40 with results of legend in a bad way, the 10mm was properly designed.

Glock handgun designs have always resulted in downright comfy recoil impulses with a variety of calibers in guns large and small. Truthfully, have often thought of getting one myself.

HAHAHA!

by ERSisk @, Monday, June 18, 2018, 20:47 (2287 days ago) @ Hoot

Rotater cuff surgery to repair a massive tare, Docs description, that week. Plan to attend next year. Already have half a yard pass earned. Maybe we can "Shoot the Chain" again with that .358.:-) Brought the G40 OS home today.

It's an easy solution

by bj @, Monday, June 18, 2018, 20:57 (2287 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

It's easy to shoot, easy to load for, wide variety of ammo available.

What I want is a 45ACP model with a 460 Rowland barrel swapped in, not that's a magnumized tupperware.

If you like the Glock, it's not bad

by bj @, Monday, June 18, 2018, 20:58 (2287 days ago) @ ERSisk

I think I would rather have the Ruger SR1911 in 10mm

It's an easy solution, and I think about it.

by former hater of plastic, Monday, June 18, 2018, 21:57 (2287 days ago) @ bj

200gr .40cal approaching 1200fps without going over spec, ane pretty much that nonmagnum tweener big bore for controlled hard hitting stress filled fire by police officers, and idea promoted by a veritable who's who of the shooting world.

And a softer shooting plastic gun which is virtually rustproof.

Yeah, I think about it. For now, will live vicariously through someone else foolish enough to listen to me.

Sounds good.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, 07:43 (2286 days ago) @ ERSisk

Heal up good now, hear?

I really like mine.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, 07:44 (2286 days ago) @ bj

I hope they release a long-slide version though.

meanwhile, awaiting an ERSisk review...

by former hater of plastic, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, 21:30 (2286 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

My prediction being performance somewhere between easy hits out to 500ys with complete penetration of brick wall, or perhaps, the gun blew up on second shot and taking out the windshield of a 9ft tall black and chrome school bus disguised as a truck, belonging to a self-serving politician at range shooting skeet with pals and $30,000 Italian scatterguns, and range parking clearly posted at own risk.

Or, results might end up being so-so or poor, rather than spectacular.

If you like the Glock, it's not bad

by Norm, Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 14:34 (2285 days ago) @ bj

Agreed, Billy. I played with one for a while and it's a great gun!

RSS Feed of thread