Are any of you guys using Hornady handgun dies?

by rob @, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 14:56 (2352 days ago)
edited by rob, Saturday, April 21, 2018, 11:07

I bought a set of Hornady Titanium Nitride 3 die 10mm dies. They were cheaper than RCBS and looked interesting. They are supposed to seat and crimp in one step...I've always done it in separate steps but early on I used to seat and crimp in one step on 444 Marlin loads with jacketed bullets with no issues and very good accuracy. So on this set of dies, so far, I have adjusted the seating die and sized 40 cases (two 20 ct boxes) of brass. I'm not really impressed with the depriming stem so far. It has obvious runout after the lock nut/collet is tightened. I don't think the stem is bent but I haven't pulled it back out to examine it. It seems to punch the primers out just fine. The titanium ring seems to work just fine but I will say it's not nearly as smooth in operation or feel as a set of RCBS carbide dies. I'm curious if any of you guys are using these dies and what you think of them and if you have any tips and tricks. I need to pick up a box of bullets before adjusting the expander and seating/crimping dies but we'll get there.

by uncowboy, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 15:43 (2352 days ago) @ rob

I have had greif for this in the past but I use spray lube sparingly even when using carbide or Titanium dies. Less effort !

I have done the same...

by rob @, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 16:16 (2352 days ago) @ uncowboy

A little Redding/Imperial sizing wax makes it pretty slick with carbide dies.

Titanium nitride is the coating

by anachronism, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 16:45 (2352 days ago) @ rob
edited by anachronism, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 16:50

Titanium nitride is the coating on the die insert, not the material of the insert. I use Hornady dies for all handgun reloading, and have for ages with complete satisfaction. I had to check Hornadys website to see if seating & taper crimping is supposed to be correct with their dies, it does appear that that's how they intend for the dies to be used. It seems counter-intuitive to me to try taper crimping a bullet thats still moving. I'll be ignoring that recommendation with my dies, and continuing to seat & crimp in separate stages. The floating crimp guide in the seating die seems intended to be a bit loose to allow the bullet to self-center better, without being forced out of alignment by the rigid threading like I've seen in my RCBS, Redding, & older Hornady (Durachrome) handgun seating dies.

NOT if I have a choice in the matter.

by WIL TERRY, Sunday, April 15, 2018, 10:54 (2351 days ago) @ rob

NO SIRREE !!!

Hornaday pistol dies flat out suck. get Dillon or RCBS

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, April 20, 2018, 23:59 (2346 days ago) @ WIL TERRY

...My 45 ACO and .44 mag Hornady dies are held together with duct tape. No joke. Retired, replaced.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, April 16, 2018, 12:20 (2350 days ago) @ rob

I've got an old 45 ACP/WIN MAG/LC combo set I've been using at least 25 years and the only thing I've added is a Taper Crimp die for the ACP. I couldn't begin to tell you how much ACP and LC they've loaded over the years but my most accurate ammunition for both calibers has come from them. I am entirely satisfied with them.

by rob @, Monday, April 16, 2018, 14:08 (2350 days ago) @ Sarge

Good deal. Im gonna give them a chance. The seating/crimping die seems a bit complicated compared to RCBS or Lee but I’ll make it work.

Just remember I purchased a separate T/C die...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, April 16, 2018, 16:25 (2350 days ago) @ rob

because I didn't like the crimp die that came with them- at least for 45 ACP. And my set is 25 years old so I don't know what crimp Hornady includes with the set today.

Since you're looking at die for another auto pistol, find out for sure if you're getting a taper crimp die with the set. If not, you'll likely want one.

My factory 45 ACP/WM/LC die works great with 45 Colt and seats/crimps in one pass.

Just remember I purchased a separate T/C die...

by rob @, Monday, April 16, 2018, 16:48 (2350 days ago) @ Sarge

Mine is a taper crimp and is supposed to seat and crimp in one pass as well. Once I get it set I bet it will work fine. I still need to pick up some 180 XTPs and then I can try them out. The seating/crimping die has a floating sleeve that’s supposed to seat bulllets precisely.

Mine has that floating sleeve as well...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, April 16, 2018, 20:14 (2350 days ago) @ rob

and IMO it works as advertised. I've loaded lead almost exclusively and I recall having to tear it down/scrub it out once, due to a buildup of old lube.

RSS Feed of thread