Let’s talk 10mm...

by rob @, Thursday, April 12, 2018, 09:38 (2354 days ago)

I recently acquired a new Gen3 SF Glock 20. It’s only purpose will be hunting deer and hogs. I’m sure a 180 XTP is more than sufficient for deer, and Keith Warren and a few others have a lot of videos with the same bullet being really effective on one shot stops on hogs. Curious if you guys have some hunting experience or favorite bullets/powders you want to share. Thanks for playing.

Let’s talk 10mm...

by uncowboy, Friday, April 13, 2018, 09:06 (2353 days ago) @ rob

I shot the 10mm XTP both 180 and 200 in sabots and a muzzleloader . I have killed about 20 or so deer with the combo. Only deer I didn't recover was when my scope was off and I had a low hit . Had blood but it made it to private property and I had to stop the recovery. Most deer drop in there tracks few that ran didn't break the 40 yd mark. J.michael

Let’s talk 10mm...

by Mike P @, Friday, April 13, 2018, 13:07 (2353 days ago) @ uncowboy

uncowboy - How are you launching these with the ML? I have been happy with the pure lead ballistic tip 215gr 40 cal sabot from PRbullet dot com.
Mike P

Let’s talk 10mm...

by uncowboy, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 08:30 (2352 days ago) @ Mike P

I have a 45 cal long distance ML from Traditions . I bought a bunch of brown 40 cal sabots empty . I shoot the jacketed solids for practice and The XTP 180 for hunting. I shoot 85 GR FFFg . Hunting is mostly Pine Barons so shots never top 100 Yd most 50 some closer. I made a scout scope set up for it with Receiver sights for back up. It is a pure Venison getter and I have been very happy with the combo.

Let’s talk 10mm...

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, April 13, 2018, 14:27 (2353 days ago) @ rob

Back when I was shooting 10mm, I had good results with the 180 XTP and AA9 powder, around 13 gr as I recall. Never took it hunting so I don't know about terminal performance.

Let’s talk 10mm...

by rob @, Friday, April 13, 2018, 16:49 (2353 days ago) @ Cherokee

My Speer manual (#12 I think) lists Blue Dot for the fastest powder with the Speer 180. I have some Blue Dot from years ago I'll probably try. Got a set of Hornady titanium nitride dies in today and they look and feel really nice. I've never used Hornady dies but bought these simply to try something new.

Let’s talk 10mm...

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 09:35 (2352 days ago) @ rob

I tried Blue Dot back then and found AA9 more consistent, but BD did perform, give it a try.

AA9

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 12:15 (2352 days ago) @ Cherokee

Great powder, but for me, Blue Dot edged it out in the accuracy department, I do love how it meters!

Let’s talk 10mm...

by bmize, Friday, April 13, 2018, 17:38 (2353 days ago) @ rob

Power Pistol is what I always load for fullhouse loads.

Not a Glock but....

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 12:14 (2352 days ago) @ rob

I do shoot the 10mm in a Ruger 1911. Blue Dot has been consistently the most accurate powder I have tried with both 180s and 200s. I shoot mostly 180gr X-Treme heavy clad bullets, but did shoot Hornady XTPs in both weights for accuracy testing with "hunting" bullets. I have had great results with Power Pistol, Unique, and Longshot, and excellent results with Blue Dot. I cast a 200gr FPGC bullet from an NOE mold, but haven't invested nearly enough time to say that I have found the powder combination it likes best. I haave found that 10.4 grains of Blue Dot with the 180gr clad bullet gives excellent accuracy, and even gets some expansion with the flat nose. I am a 45 Colt guy, but I do feel the 10mm is a great all-around cartridge. In factory fodder, the Remington 180gr "practice" ammo is inconsistent and gives great, and poor accuracy, DoubleTap is excellent in the 180gr Bonded Jacketed bullets and their 230gr hard cast, Sig Sauer 180gr Jacketed is what the pistol seems to like best as far as defensive type ammunition goes, but the Hornady 180gr XTP ammo gave very good results as well. I have yet to try and of the Underwood ammunition, but have read good things about it, but it was mostly from people obsessed with the most speed possible from the 10mm, I am an accuacy guy first and foremost. One of these days I will get around to trying some Sierra jacketed bullets. The only thing that I do not care for is the bullet seating, it is very critical for the Ruger, it likes the bullet to be seated from 1.52 to 1.57 inches OAL, my Dillon Dies and the X-Treme bullets don't always make this an easy task, but it is well worth it when the shooting commences.

Dave

Not a Glock but....

by rob @, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 12:21 (2352 days ago) @ Dave B

Awesome, Thanks Dave!

Not a Glock but....

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 16:22 (2352 days ago) @ rob

You are very welcome, people here have always been quick to help me out. Seems like a lot of the Glock guys are running aftermarket barrels which provide a little more chamber support.

10mm Users Group

Dave

Not a Glock but....

by rob @, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 16:33 (2352 days ago) @ Dave B

I'm considering it depending on the accuracy I get from the factory barrel. I put a Lone Wolf 3.5# connector with 6# trigger spring and their titanium striker block and reduced power spring. That made a huge difference on the trigger and it's running just fine with that setup. A good match grade barrel will likely shrink groups but I want to see what the factory barrel can do first. I just need to spend some time with it, find a good load and see how well I can dial myself in:)

Not a Glock but....

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 18:01 (2352 days ago) @ rob

Shoot me an email and I can send you some specific data from loaddata.com if you like.

Nm1911shooter at gmail dot com

Dave

Email on the way...

by rob @, Saturday, April 14, 2018, 19:38 (2352 days ago) @ Dave B

I'll check out that 10mm link as well. Thanks Dave.

RSS Feed of thread