1917 S&W barrel needed, maybe.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, February 04, 2018, 15:48 (2421 days ago)

I found a Brazilian 1917 .45 at a show today for a very reasonable price. It was cheap because it has a bulge about a half inch in front of the frame. I'll shoot it first to see how well it does, but might be nice to have the option to replace. Anybody have one in a bin somewhere?

[image]

[image]

by Catoosa, Sunday, February 04, 2018, 17:45 (2421 days ago) @ Andrew

By all means, shoot it first. You may have nothing to worry about with the bulge that far back from the muzzle. You may not be impressed with the accuracy, but chances are it won't be much worse than it was pre-bulge. That's with jacketed bullets - 1917s typically won't shoot for sour apples with cast bullets, and I'm guessing that one won't either. The rifling is shallow and just won't get a good grip on a cast bullet.

If worst comes to worst, get on the S&W forum and ask those guys to help you find a barrel.

I had a 25-5 45 Colt that suffered the same shallow rifling

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, February 04, 2018, 18:50 (2421 days ago) @ Catoosa

It was so leaded up when I bought it you couldn't hardly see the rifling. Plus, these weren't built for precision shooting.

Too many guys tried to magnamize these...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, February 04, 2018, 19:02 (2421 days ago) @ Andrew

had two come in this way. One was perfect when we sold it a week later the joker come back and say WE sold him a gun with a bulged chamber... it was SO bulged the cylinder wouldn't clear the top strap...I saw it about a month later at the Lewiston, ID gun show with a shiny oval spot where the bulge had been...compounded idiot.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I wonder if this one left Brazil with the bulge.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, February 04, 2018, 19:08 (2421 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Or maybe, even went there with it!

Reline it?

by Otony, Sunday, February 04, 2018, 19:55 (2421 days ago) @ Andrew

I have Nonte's book on handgun gunsmithing, and I know he discusses it.

You can keep the original barrel and matching finish/patina, plus cure the shallow rifling issue at the same time.

Been more than 20 years since I've cracked that book open, he may have been discussing lining to a smaller caliber....

Otony

Probably too thin.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, February 04, 2018, 20:11 (2421 days ago) @ Otony

Not much meat to work with for the last 3-4 inches.

Probably too thin.

by Otony, Sunday, February 04, 2018, 23:14 (2421 days ago) @ Andrew

Yeah, figured as much. Grabbed that book for a quick look-see and it seems when he did that sort of 'smithing it was to smaller calibers.

Otony

451 Mandrel judicous tapping...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, February 05, 2018, 11:35 (2420 days ago) @ Otony

of Brownells or Gun parts Inc or S&W Custom Shop. Or shoot it.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Just shoot it. U may be surprised.Even w/cast shallow

by ERSisk @, Tuesday, February 06, 2018, 11:56 (2419 days ago) @ Andrew

rifling does not necessarily mean poor accuracy. If it bugs you that much Rob is right on with the mandrel and judicious cold forging.

by Jhenry, Wednesday, February 07, 2018, 12:07 (2418 days ago) @ Andrew

I would bet money it will shoot just fine.

RSS Feed of thread