Western W49 Bowie

by Jhenry, Friday, January 26, 2018, 19:57 (2430 days ago)

I finally got it in hand. I knew it was an earlier one, but based on markings and the sheath, this is a 1st varient and dates from 1964 to 1966 at the latest. There was a sheath change in 67. I got it out of Missoula, Montana. Used but in really nice shape. I'm not doing any mods at all on this one. I may well go on the scout for a later one and Bagwellize it. Who knows.

Most any made at Boulder,

by former hater of plastic, Friday, January 26, 2018, 21:43 (2430 days ago) @ Jhenry

are going to be a great knife. Bill was still steep on the curve in the 80s, only 15yrs or so since making his first damascus (and second behind only Moran who gave him the cheat sheet), and his ideal bowie designs had yet to emerge, but he was getting closer.

As the Western sits, it has a lot of what makes Bill's knives so good, which is the full flattish convex to edge, and simply made from thinner stock.That old one will have a lovely feeling rosewood handle, and congratulations on getting a nice one which nobody has yet boogered.

Most any made at Boulder,

by Jhenry, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 08:09 (2430 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

It is unmolested. I like the nicely contoured rosewood far more than the later squarish laminate that would need work. The sheath needs a new retention strap so I'll do that and make it match. Someone over the years also put a concho on it which I may or may not keep, frankly I kind of like it. I would pay good money to have the stories from the last 50+ years in Montana.

there is a fellah on ebay, from time to time,

by former hater of plastic, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 09:36 (2430 days ago) @ Jhenry

a collector and seller, who also makes duplicate original sheaths, molded same as original, likewise embellished, for only $50 or so, if you wanted to save, or did not trust, the original. And, of course, always, until he retires, good old Harry Savage of non-corro leather and hand stitched heavy dutiness. Some of the laminate is better than others, as they were done by hand, and earlier generally better than later. I would not touch the handle on current laminate handle.

Glad you like the knife. Really really good steel and heat treat when you consider how thin the blade and edge, but yet, almost never see one with a chipped edge. Most modern knives would not dare go so thin for a chopper, unless far lower carbon in a machete.

there is a fellah on ebay, from time to time,

by Jhenry, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 09:49 (2430 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

I saw those sheaths. This one is perfectly usable though but if I did need a new sheath i would just do one myself. I need to get a holster going for the Herters Powermag now that I think of it.

as for diy, car, gun, knife, etc,

by former hater of plastic, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 14:44 (2429 days ago) @ Jhenry

if a labor of love, no problem, but, otherwise, I look at what I got paid at work for that much time, and free time lost calculated at that rate, and if cheaper to just pay somebody, I do.

I just wanted to add personal impression of knife

by former hater of plastic, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 08:50 (2426 days ago) @ Jhenry

I gots me quite a few high zoot handmades, of great renown, beauty, etc. But, hardly any could out-cut or hold up better than the W49, and truthfully trust the construction and steel of the W49 over most of them.

It is tougb, and the handle is much more firmly attached. With the laminate, not a worry in the world of even a crack or chop. Some of the others might make a better crowbar, but not as many as blade thickness might suggest, and probably would not survive as much of a knife when done.

Meanwhile, when it comes time to flat out cut, carve, and chop, the W49 thinner blade makes a mucb better knife.

You got yourself a good one.

lawdy...and I typed that with glasses! Land's sake!!....NT

by former hater of plastic, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 08:52 (2426 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

nt

I just wanted to add personal impression of knife

by Jhenry, Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 22:28 (2425 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

I agree. I have a decent selection of larger knives and bowies. No real custom jobs, but decent to higher end production jobs. This W49 is a keeper.

very good....now, for homework,

by former hater of plastic, Thursday, February 01, 2018, 17:41 (2424 days ago) @ Jhenry

carve three feather sticks, and bring them to class tomorrow. Tbis is a GRADED assignment, and you do NOT want a zero being averaged in....WRITE IT DOWN...NOW.

very good....now, for homework,

by Jhenry, Thursday, February 01, 2018, 18:41 (2424 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

Hahaha. I actually did do a feather stick with this beast last week. Turned out fine. Tonight I am putting a good edge on a Western model 66 that my youngest traded into.

RSS Feed of thread