Sad News

by Drago, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 09:57 (2431 days ago)

Browning has discontinued production of the Hi-Power. I guess it is a victim of the plastic fantastics.

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/hi-power-pistols.html

Sad News

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Thursday, January 25, 2018, 16:11 (2431 days ago) @ Drago

Dang. I guess that makes mine a collector's item.

They really are great pistols. True classics.

The Custom guys, Like Chuck Warner still make them

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, January 27, 2018, 11:48 (2429 days ago) @ Drago

and they are by far the best Hi Powers ever made.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

That is not the first impression one gets

by former hater of plastic, Monday, January 29, 2018, 10:26 (2427 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

when googling his name and workmanship. I looked him up and the #1 on google hit list thread is most unflattering.

Anyhow, that is as if saying the same of Kimber or Wilson when it announced Colt is dropping the 1911, and just no comparison between the two except superficial resemblance.

Not in how made, of what, design clearances, focus of design, etc. Not to mention history and connection with it. A Wilson would not inspire thoughts of soldiers in a glider over Normandy, nor a Warner those of the OSS.

Of course, there are many who say the Miroku Winchesters are "the best ever made" today. And my take is almost at no time is any copy ever the best. It is a copy, a devivative, a modification of another's genious idea or genious in long term production. And holds value nowhere close to an original for that reason.

That is not the first impression one gets

by jgt, Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 06:14 (2427 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

Kinda like today's Smith & Wessons ?

when i googled the fellah's name, along with hi power

by former hater of plastic, Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 10:59 (2426 days ago) @ jgt

the very first thread was most unflattering. Folks such as Wilson make far better guns than current Smiths, as for comparisons in quality, or did, last I checked.

But, true enough, a new Smith is not an old Smith, only maintains outward appearance, sorta, but much of modern castings, different mechanisms, lack of interchangeable parts, same with modern Winchesters, and they simply are not the same gun.

Saying it is better than old is saying an apple is better than an orange, and a cheaper grown appple, too.

RSS Feed of thread